Author Topic: Save the "..eating healthy is too expensive" bullshit....  (Read 2582 times)

Offline CC27

Save the "..eating healthy is too expensive" bullshit....
« on: February 10, 2010, 08:53:02 AM »
tyne  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Wed Feb-10-10 08:54 AM
Original message
Save the "..eating healthy is too expensive" bullshit....

along with the "...focus on jobs instead of obesity".

Bananas can be found for 37 cents a pound. That's less than a buck fifty a bunch. You can buy a big bag of apples for less than 4 dollars. Large bags of frozen berries....cheap.
HUGE bags of fresh/frozen veggies are there for you if you plop down $5(most of the time less).

Frozen chicken breasts and and other lean meats are easy to find at less than $2/pound.

"Michelle should focus on jobs instead of this obesity crap". Bullshit. This is a perfect platform with perfect timing. We can chew gum and walk at the same time. A healthy sustainable economy (jobs) goes hand in hand with a healthy populace.

Huge bonfire. Little rip at Michelle.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7683548

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Save the "..eating healthy is too expensive" bullshit....
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 09:01:14 AM »
laughingliberal  (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-10-10 09:21 AM
Response to Reply #1

29. Thank you for that. As a sufferer for life, I know there are times when making a sandwich or pouring a bowl of cereal has been almost more than I could manage. Sure we'll see the amazing compassion of DU come out on this post, though.

Stinky The Clown  (1000+ posts)        Wed Feb-10-10 09:16 AM
THE SPARKLING HUSBAND PRIMITIVE, #05 TOP PRIMITIVE OF 2009
Response to Original message

19. Unrec for preachiness and sanctimony, not for content or intent.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 10:33:21 AM »
laughingliberal  (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-10-10 09:21 AM
Response to Reply #1

29. Thank you for that. As a sufferer for life, I know there are times when making a sandwich or pouring a bowl of cereal has been almost more than I could manage. Sure we'll see the amazing compassion of DU come out on this post, though.

Probably because the GigglingDUmmie's arms weigh as much as I do.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 10:36:34 AM »
Really, making healthy food choices is closely-associated with a fiscally-well-run household, that's why back in the day schools taught 'Home Economics.'  Many younger people regularly eat one or more fast food meals daily, which is both uneconomical and not particularly good for them. 

Meal planning is simply a part of living within one's means and making the most out of the economic resources available.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 10:48:29 AM »
Huge bonfire. Little rip at Michelle.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7683548

You can get a cheeseburger for a dollar, without having to stand up. Now that is America.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 10:52:27 AM »
You can get a cheeseburger for a dollar, without having to stand up. Now that is America.

Hell, make that a DOUBLE cheezburger.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 10:53:59 AM »
Really, making healthy food choices is closely-associated with a fiscally-well-run household, that's why back in the day schools taught 'Home Economics.'  Many younger people regularly eat one or more fast food meals daily, which is both uneconomical and not particularly good for them. 

Meal planning is simply a part of living within one's means and making the most out of the economic resources available.

My high school French teacher was the old Home Economics teacher, and she told us that our school canceled the Home Ec class because it was sexist.   :whatever:

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 12:25:02 PM »
My high school French teacher was the old Home Economics teacher, and she told us that our school canceled the Home Ec class because it was sexist.   :whatever:

but its okay to teach a class thats Franco-Centrist??

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 12:33:52 PM »
Hell, make that a DOUBLE cheezburger.

The only thing I eat from "McDucks" is 2 dbl cheese burgers and fries. Under 5 bucks! Not exactly healthy, but ,damn, they're tasty when one's in a hurry and hungry! Now an "Ultimate Cheese Burger" from "Crack in the ass", that's livin'!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 12:34:44 PM »

Schools hate teaching anything that might actually be useful.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 12:46:47 PM »
The only thing I eat from "McDucks" is 2 dbl cheese burgers and fries. Under 5 bucks! Not exactly healthy, but ,damn, they're tasty when one's in a hurry and hungry! Now an "Ultimate Cheese Burger" from "Crack in the ass", that's livin'!

UCB's rule

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 01:49:42 PM »

Oh, those new mushroom swiss burgers are to die for! I rarely get them because it's several days worth of fat and calories in one of those meals (if you're going to go for it might as well supersize) but they're SO good.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 02:03:54 PM »
Quote from: DUmmy
I know there are times when making a sandwich or pouring a bowl of cereal has been almost more than I could manage.

How pathetic! :mental:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 02:07:12 PM »

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 02:20:12 PM »
Oh, those new mushroom swiss burgers are to die for! I rarely get them because it's several days worth of fat and calories in one of those meals (if you're going to go for it might as well supersize) but they're SO good.

Cindie

I had one once.  Dayum!  It was good!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Specbid

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 02:42:17 PM »

Made grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch today. Total cost for 3 adults= less than 2 bucks. Top that fast food chains.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 02:51:18 PM »
These idiots are f'n clueless. Back in 1980, I went through a divorce. Because my finances were set up for two incomes, when she left, I wound up eating PB & J  sandwiches for a month. I got things corrected and got my finances resolved and I was back to eating somewhat normal. I didn't touch PB&J for two years afterwards. Another thing that the quoted DUmmie misses is the fact that it's cheaper to feed someone pasta or potato laden recipes than fresh fruits and veggies.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 02:55:12 PM »
These idiots are f'n clueless. Back in 1980, I went through a divorce. Because my finances were set up for two incomes, when she left, I wound up eating PB & J  sandwiches for a month. I got things corrected and got my finances resolved and I was back to eating somewhat normal. I didn't touch PB&J for two years afterwards. Another thing that the quoted DUmmie misses is the fact that it's cheaper to feed someone pasta or potato laden recipes than fresh fruits and veggies.

I like PB&J sandwiches.

Offline Karin

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
Tomato soup & grilled cheese sandwiches...lunch of champions!

I heard that Michelle O's little initiative is focusing on the food producers.  I'm in the wholesale food business, and that's not the problem.  It's the school kitchen managers.  I was looking at invoices the other day, and one school had a lot of produce and low fat things, stuff a chick would eat while facing bathing suit season.  Another school had pancake syrup by the barrel, sugar cereals, fried chicken nuggets, pizza, etc.  All that junk.  It's entirely up to those managers and what they order.  They say "well that's all that the kids will eat."  I don't buy that entirely. 

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 03:20:11 PM »
Made grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch today. Total cost for 3 adults= less than 2 bucks. Top that fast food chains.

Found nearly empty box of chocolate waffles in the back of sisters freezer... nobody was going to eat them, so I did.

Cost - 0.00

heh

Offline Specbid

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 03:23:35 PM »

I heard that Michelle O's little initiative is focusing on the food producers.  I'm in the wholesale food business, and that's not the problem.  It's the school kitchen managers.  I was looking at invoices the other day, and one school had a lot of produce and low fat things, stuff a chick would eat while facing bathing suit season.  Another school had pancake syrup by the barrel, sugar cereals, fried chicken nuggets, pizza, etc.  All that junk.  It's entirely up to those managers and what they order.  They say "well that's all that the kids will eat."  I don't buy that entirely. 

Nothing better during a blizzard. Reminds me of being a kid.

As for being a kid, lunch for school consisted of a brown bag containing a sandwich and piece of fruit. Maybe a baggie of chips or the like. Only thing we bought was a milk.

Offline Specbid

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 03:26:23 PM »
Found nearly empty box of chocolate waffles in the back of sisters freezer... nobody was going to eat them, so I did.

Cost - 0.00

heh

Okay, you win. Barely.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 03:28:05 PM »

I expect the school in your first example, with an invoice full of produce and low fat things, has a DUmpster full of the same stuff a few days later. A school is going to spend X dollars on food, regardless. Why not spend it on food that goes into kids instead of landfills? I don't believe school cafeterias have anything whatever to do with how many fat kids there are.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 03:30:35 PM »
I expect the school in your first example, with an invoice full of produce and low fat things, has a DUmpster full of the same stuff a few days later. A school is going to spend X dollars on food, regardless. Why not spend it on food that goes into kids instead of landfills? I don't believe school cafeterias have anything whatever to do with how many fat kids there are.

I don't think so either.  5 meals a week at school is not causing the obesity problem , it's what they are grazing on away from school.

Offline Karin

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 03:51:22 PM »
Yeah, maybe.  I don't know much about the problem, as I never raised a kid myself and we never battled this problem as kids.  I know there's too damn much sitting around.  I guess my point was that MO was looking toward the school lunches.