Author Topic: primitives lose credit cards  (Read 582 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives lose credit cards
« on: December 29, 2009, 06:56:29 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7346935

Oh my.

geek_sabre (536 posts)        Tue Dec-29-09 06:58 AM
Original message

Chase Credit Card

Chase contacted me a few months ago to inform me that they were closing my account (which, despite shuffling from Providian to WaMu to Chase, I'd held longer than any other) for whatever reason. I'd never made a late payment, I always paid well over the minimum, but always carried a (embarrasingly high) balance. It obviously ****ed up my FICO score by decreasing my credit history by about 10 years, but that is neither here nor there, as I am going cash only from now on.

Anyway, I paid off the full balance pretty much immediately, and stopped receiving statements and all that. Then, out of the blue, (maybe a Christmas gift), I received a new statement, with a slightly higher credit line, that in no way indicates that my account is closed.

Would they reopen my account without informing me? Anyone have this experience or other Chase horror stories to share?

ixion  (1000+ posts)        Tue Dec-29-09 07:03 AM
Response to Original message

1. not a horror story, as such... they threatened to jack my interest rates so I closed my accounts with them. That's where we're at now. I've heard horror stories from others, so I'll be glad to get these accounts paid down and closed.

dysfunctional press  (1000+ posts)      Tue Dec-29-09 07:04 AM

2. american express did the exact same thing to us this past year.

although- after my wife lost her job- we were in much worse financial shape when they offered to re-open our account, than we had been when they had closed it out of the blue for no discernable reason while she WAS working.(i'm permanently disabled, have been for 12 years).

**** them.

they'll NEVER have my business again.

icymist  (1000+ posts)        Tue Dec-29-09 07:09 AM

3. Watch your snail mail and email closely.

My room mate just paid an entire balance off on a Chase credit card and they charged her a fee for paying the entire amount. They claimed to have informed her of this by sending what seemed to be junk snail mail and emails. These went unopened and about four months later a telephone call demanding payment for the fee with compounded interest totaling about $350.00!!! Watch these bastards closely for they are sharks!

geek_sabre (536 posts)        Tue Dec-29-09 07:15 AM
Response to Reply #3

4. I still sign in to all of my former credit accounts every month to be sure there isn't a balance to be paid.

Did your friend close the account or just pay it off? I would imagine that they can't penalize you after they closed your account forcibly. We'll see what happens.

soleiri  (468 posts)      Tue Dec-29-09 07:22 AM
Response to Reply #3

6. Agreed

It's because the finance charges come in on the closing day.

They charge finance charges if you hold a balance at any time during the statement period.

nightrain  (1000+ posts)        Tue Dec-29-09 07:19 AM

5. Chase is horrible. I paid off all accounts, closed them, and will never give them another dime.

SoCalDem  (1000+ posts)        Tue Dec-29-09 07:26 AM

7. I would take the statement, and the card (if you;ve not shredded it yet) INTO a Chase brick & mortar branch, and watch them as they officially close the account..and get it in writing too..

sometimes these people are as hard to get rid of as athlete's foot.

A primitive worth watching in 2010:

HillbillyBob (1000+ posts)      Tue Dec-29-09 07:39 AM

8. My partner has 2 cards BofA where our house accounts are.

and one for a farm supply that is through citi..we have gotten raises in credit line and no raise in interest rates..but we only carry very small balances.

I personally do not have any credit cards at all only a debit.

I think we need to bring these banks to their knees or better yet to ours!

Don't use them you only get further into debt, we only use it when we know we can pay it all off or nearly all off.

I have learned to do with out them I only every had one card and found myself in trouble when i got sick and lost my job. It was only a small balance of about 300 400$ it took me awhile to pay it out. That balance grew by twice as much in the mean time and getting calls and letters(it was hard to get either since I was homeless at the time) when I finally got to where I could pay it off i did it in 10 to 30$ payments until it was gone.

Admittedly my credit rating sux, but that is because when I got sick my insurance denied coverage after paying in for 7 or 8 years.

Now I have gotten pretty good at going without. I say **** the banksters and their caviar and limos, why should I have to drive (when I had a car) a 19yr old car and pay 14% interest so they can live high on my hog?

DU AdBot (1000+ posts)  Tue Dec 29th 2009, 07:47 AM
#06 TOP PRIMITIVE OF 2009

Apply for a Credit Card

Compare 50 cards and apply online.  0%
APR.  No fees!  Instant approval!
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Lord Undies

Re: primitives lose credit cards
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 09:53:15 AM »
The only answer is a single-payer credit card with a public option. 

Offline kenth

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 10:05:37 AM »
Good ol' DU Adbot, always standing guard with stick ready for poking.

Offline jukin

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 10:14:35 AM »
The only answer is a single-payer credit card with a public option. 

Thanks for the first out loud laugh of the day. :bow:
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 11:54:29 AM »
Sounds like more bank bailouts are coming

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 05:42:09 PM »
I have been a Dummie with my credit cards most of the last 20 years.   right now I have 0bama balance on all of them.   Which is the way I am going to keep it.
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!