Author Topic: Fighting Diabetes With Lots of Espresso  (Read 3064 times)

Offline thundley4

Fighting Diabetes With Lots of Espresso
« on: December 21, 2009, 08:44:53 PM »
Make that a bottomless cup.

Coffee and tea drinkers are less likely to develop Type 2 diabetes than nondrinkers, with those drinking three to four cups a day at a 25 percent lower risk for the disease than those who drink less than two cups, a large analysis has found. It does not matter whether the drinks are caffeinated or not, said the study, published in The Archives of Internal Medicine.

The analysis does not prove that drinking tea or coffee lowers the risk of the so-called adult-onset diabetes, but it is not the first study to report such a link. And it goes further than other studies, finding that for caffeinated coffee, risk dropped by 5 percent to 10 percent with each additional cup consumed, which the researchers say suggests a causal relationship.

Those drinking more than six cups of coffee a day were at 40 percent lower risk for diabetes than nondrinkers; the figure for those who drank less than a cup per day was just 4 percent.

Some studies have indicated that chemical components of tea and coffee may have beneficial effects on glucose metabolism and insulin sensitivity, but the evidence is mixed. “Caffeine can’t be the answer, because you see the same sort of overall response from diabetes with decaf as with caffeinated coffee,” said the paper’s senior author, Mark Woodward, a professor at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York.
  NYTimes

Maybe that two pots of coffee a day is good for me after all.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
Re: Fighting Diabetes With Lots of Espresso
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 09:11:21 PM »
Okay, I think I am going to officially stop worrying about my coffee consumption.  My Grandfather died from Type II diabetes, so it is something that concerns me.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 09:19:42 PM »
Okay, I think I am going to officially stop worrying about my coffee consumption.  My Grandfather died from Type II diabetes, so it is something that concerns me.

:yeahthat:

although I don't drink as much coffee as I used to...but I too have Type 2 Diabetes in my family.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 01:48:37 AM »
Me too.

My father and his mother both had it. Both were big time tea drinkers.

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.