Author Topic: DUmmies can't see forest for the trees  (Read 1112 times)

Offline thundley4

DUmmies can't see forest for the trees
« on: November 16, 2009, 08:58:02 PM »
RamboLiberal   (1000+ posts)             Mon Nov-16-09 05:16 PM
Original message
Stop Annual Mammograms, Govt. Panel Tells Women Under 50
   Source: ABC News

An influential government panel of experts has issued new recommendations on what age women should get screened for breast cancer and how often. The new guidelines have set off a sharp debate over whether mammography screening done at younger ages and more frequently saves enough lives to justify the costs of overtreatment.
Blah, blah, blah....
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4148888

Raven   (1000+ posts)           Mon Nov-16-09 05:19 PM
Response to Original message
1. My, my, my... a good friend of mine was 42 and had her first mammogram

and has just completed breat cancer treatments and is facing reconstruction. No way of knowing how long the cancer was in her breast and growing...

Delphinus   (1000+ posts)           Mon Nov-16-09 05:25 PM
2. Why in the world would they

recommend AGAINST teaching breast self-exams?!

pitohui (1000+ posts)           Mon Nov-16-09 09:28 PM
Response to Reply #13
21. because a false positive can lead to amputation where it wouldn't have been necessary

one of my mom's clients had a lump (you do understand that MOST lumps are cysts, esp. in younger breasts)

she had a biopsy

the biopsy infected her with MRSA

she lost not only the breasts but her arm and both legs

you people who fantasize that "early testing" has no risks are living in a dream world

there are fates worse than death and living the rest of your life unable to walk and with only ONE limb is certainly one of them

the consequences of paranoia are extreme

i for one would rather die a little younger than need be than lose my limbs and my freedom

But, but early detection is  what 0BamaCare is all about.  Now why would this government group recommend against it?  To save the government money once 0BamaCare is enacted, maybe?

Indydem (493 posts)             Mon Nov-16-09 05:29 PM
3. WTF?

Is this the start of some kind of rationing BS that the government is trying to play a game with?

There is no such thing as "overtreatment" of a simple test that can catch a dreadful, terrible disease such as breast cancer.

Probably a panel made up of men under 50 who know of no one personally with the disease.

The government would be better off to take the salary of these pinhead assholes and pay it into breast cancer research.

Ding, ding, ding , we have a winner, his tombstone is on order.

kestrel91316   (1000+ posts)             Mon Nov-16-09 06:41 PM
Response to Reply #3
15. It's the insurance companies who HAVE BEEN RATIONING CARE FOR YEARS.

Right, but the government rationing will be so much better, right?  I mean after all, they have to keep their customers happy.

From there it devolves into most people being supportive of the new recommendations.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
Re: DUmmies can't see forest for the trees
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 10:02:02 PM »
New government propaganda for the New Obama World.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 10:19:49 PM »
So.. Let me get this straight...

The... Democrats are Okay with THE GOVERNMENT Telling Women what they should and shouldn't do with their bodies ?!?

Am I missing something here, or have the primitives made it clear that they are no better than trained monkeys who dance for the organ grinder ?

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 10:30:59 PM »
Am I missing something here, or have the primitives made it clear that they are no better than trained monkeys who dance for the organ grinder ?

They're doing more than dancing with that "organ"!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 10:46:32 PM »
So.. Let me get this straight...

The... Democrats are Okay with THE GOVERNMENT Telling Women what they should and shouldn't do with their bodies ?!?

Primitives, Jon Stewart audiences, but I repeat myself.

I was listening to some conservative talk show that is on Sunday nights and the guy was talking about how many people simply buy into whatever media template.  Barak Obama can't be stupid because the media template says he is intelligent and articulate.  Sarah Palin can't be substantive because the media template tells us she is a lightweight and an idiot.  And sadly even conservatives buy into these templates.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline lastparker

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 08:04:25 AM »
I've never been one to buy into conspiracy theories, but this stinks of government mandate.  I wonder if the Komen foundation will be right on board with this?  Unbelievable.  And it is no surprise that the DUmmies are already drinking the koolaid.
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 08:40:20 AM »
I've never been one to buy into conspiracy theories, but this stinks of government mandate.  I wonder if the Komen foundation will be right on board with this?  Unbelievable.  And it is no surprise that the DUmmies are already drinking the koolaid.

I heard on the radio that Komen wasn't changing their viewpoint, and MD Anderson Cancer Center, the American Cancer Society, and various other Cancer fighting groups have said they won't be changing their protocols either. What this does mean, I am afraid, that the yearly ones under 49, and every other year after 50 won't be covered under whatever scheme we call insurance is coming down the pike.  Which means out of pocket expense, which means people won't get them, which means people will die unnecessarily.   
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 10:39:43 AM »
I heard on the radio that Komen wasn't changing their viewpoint, and MD Anderson Cancer Center, the American Cancer Society, and various other Cancer fighting groups have said they won't be changing their protocols either. What this does mean, I am afraid, that the yearly ones under 49, and every other year after 50 won't be covered under whatever scheme we call insurance is coming down the pike.  Which means out of pocket expense, which means people won't get them, which means people will die unnecessarily.   

You are right in every count, except the last. The medical commissars, who will be appointed by the healthcare czar after fully socialized O-care is adopted, will have budgets and goals that will make many of these deaths necessary. Millions of deaths will be necessary, because preventing them would require expenditures that are simply not beneficial to the state. Why should state resources be squandered on an elderly person who will never pay a penny in taxes?

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 10:46:41 AM »
You are right in every count, except the last. The medical commissars, who will be appointed by the healthcare czar after fully socialized O-care is adopted, will have budgets and goals that will make many of these deaths necessary. Millions of deaths will be necessary, because preventing them would require expenditures that are simply not beneficial to the state. Why should state resources be squandered on an elderly person who will never pay a penny in taxes?

:thatsright:  DUH.   Silly me.  Welcome to the Machine.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 10:59:07 AM »
:thatsright:  DUH.   Silly me.  Welcome to the Machine.

But they still won't call them death panels, no way, no how.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 11:20:03 AM »

Nope, them there are our Supreme Benefactors, protecting us from our own anxieties. 

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 01:14:16 PM »

They are not death panels, they are administrators for the life buyout option of the Obamacare health plan
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.