Author Topic: San Francisco Chronicle may shut down  (Read 527 times)

Offline thundley4

San Francisco Chronicle may shut down
« on: February 25, 2009, 09:53:44 AM »
"NEW YORK/SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - San Francisco may lose its main newspaper, the San Francisco Chronicle, as owner Hearst Corp cuts a "significant" number of jobs and decides whether to shut or sell the money-losing daily.

The privately held New York-based publisher already is considering shutting a second West Coast paper, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, in the face of a devastating decline in advertising revenue and big losses.

Founded shortly after Gold Rush fever hit California in the mid-19th century, the Chronicle has long been an essential part of daily life for many Bay Area residents, even as it sometimes disappointed or outraged them."Reuters

Another liberal rag bites the dust?

Offline bijou

Re: San Francisco Chronicle may shut down
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 09:57:04 AM »

Of course I have sympathy for individuals who lose their jobs, but I find it hard to work up any sorrow for the demise of the MSM.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 07:46:56 AM by bijou »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 10:06:57 AM »
Raving moonbat is a fixture there in the bay area. While the Chronicle caters to the resident crowd, whether or not it goes away won't change the character of the area.

I don't think there's any doubt that there is a cultural shift going on away from print media and toward e-media. Whereas it was fashionable for Dad to put his slippers on, sit in the easy chair in front of the fireplace and read the daily paper back in the Fifties, that kind of thing just isn't de rigueur any more.

People want to read Drudge, the Huff and Puff, Daily Moonbat/Kos, and other sources of news and advertising and do it without having to fold paper to keep from hitting the guy sitting next to you on the subway.

While a lot of newspapers have an online version, people haven't gravitated toward them all that much. WSJ has a blossoming online capability, but it doesn't match the print version yet.

Like any business (apart from those that are considered "critical"), newspapers just ought to die off. They've served their useful purpose. Just because their owners have been slow on the uptake isn't reason enough for me to get emotional about it.

Just go away, and take your moonbats with you.  :whatever:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 12:48:58 PM »
They can take the Sacramento Bee down the shitter with them when they go.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 01:08:41 PM »
I actually prefer a newspaper. But the recycled crap paper they use with almost NO strength, the new SMALLER type face (saves cheap paper?) than now, in my dottage, causes eyestrain, push me more and more to the computer.

However, the SF paper, a librag, can rot in hell as far as I am concerned. Where was the lib. crying about the loss of the New York Tribune all those years ago?