Author Topic: Top Florida Democrat denies rewards for cash  (Read 537 times)

Offline bijou

Top Florida Democrat denies rewards for cash
« on: December 16, 2008, 11:07:40 AM »
TALLAHASSEE — The top Democrat in the Florida House considered the amount of money lawmakers gave to the state Democratic Party and their willingness to contribute in the future before he recommended who should sit on some of the state's most powerful legislative panels.

"There may be three or four people that raised money that had (top) ranking positions, but that was not really a major consideration," Minority Leader Franklin Sands said Monday. Ben Wilcox, director of Florida Common Cause, said the possibility of a "quid pro quo" raises ethical and legal questions.

"We all know that some committees are more powerful than other committees, and they seem to be saying you need to make a contribution if you want to be a part of that."

One Democratic lawmaker, Yolly Roberson of Miami, said Sands put the price for his recommendation to the House's top health care committee at $50,000.

Sands said he did not remember that conversation.

"I'm very, very hard pressed to believe I ever said that," said Sands, 68, a business consultant from Weston. "I have no recollection of ever saying anything like that. I think it has to be a misunderstanding." ...
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/politics/content/state/epaper/2008/12/15/a1a_fladems_1216.html

Some normal crime in Florida at last. No nekkid people and no food.  :-)