Author Topic: Kansas City Royals spring preview  (Read 1238 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Kansas City Royals spring preview
« on: February 03, 2009, 05:05:26 PM »
http://www.rototimes.com/article/2009/2/Spring-Preview-Kansas-City-Royals

The Royals finished fourth in the AL Central with a 75-87 record, which might cause some to think that this was just another dismal season in a series of dismal seasons for this once proud franchise. If you are a bottom line person, this is a fair position to take, but if you are an optimist, you see the seeds of improvement.

Gil Meche has blossomed (14 wins, 3.98 ERA, 183 Ks), as has Zack Greinke (13 wins, 3.47 ERA, 183 Ks), and at the back of the pen the team has one of the best closers in the game in Joakim Soria (42 saves). On offense, the team will look to newly acquired Mike Jacobs to blast bombs from the middle of the lineup. Jacobs will be surrounded by a plethora of talented youngsters. If the team can stabilize the back of its rotation, a .500 season is certainly possible in 2009.....
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: Kansas City Royals spring preview
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 06:01:15 PM »
Jacobs strikes out a lot, though you wouldn't know that by his first four Major League ABs, in which he hit four home runs for the New York Mets in 2005.  The Mets traded him to the Florida Marlins in the offseason of '05-'06 and got Carlos Delgado for him.  It can be argued that Jacobs would have hit 30+ HRs (I have had this argument with a co-worker who thinks Jacobs was the Second Coming of Babe Ruth) in '06, but he wouldn't have inspired the same unease with opposing pitchers that Delgado did (and still does). 

Gil Meche and Zach Greinke are pitchers I'd love to have.  Brian Bannister went to the Royals from the Mets, for a reliever who killed someone in an hit-and-run accident in Central America, and proved that he was a #4 starter at best, and a #5 most likely.  The Mets did inquire about Soira about the time of the Winter Meetings, but opted to sign Francisco Rodriguez and trade for J.J. Putz instead.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 06:31:55 PM »
I went to a KC game last season, against the Red Sox IIRC.

There was more red in the crowd than blue.  And whenever the crowd went crazy it was because the Sox had done something great.

Awful stadium -- badly designed.  The concession lines cross the access walkways so both get jammed.  It can take 1/2 hour to get a freaking beer and hot dog.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 06:37:01 PM »
I saw the title of the thread and was impressed thinking a Royals fan is that loyal to his team that he is getting excited for Spring training.     I was all set to H5 him for his passion. 

There was more red in the crowd than blue.  And whenever the crowd went crazy it was because the Sox had done something great.

Red Sox Nation is everywhere.   The Yankees and the Red Sox sell tickets when then come to town - team owners love them.