Author Topic: the old dude thinks about clutching pearls  (Read 1049 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
the old dude thinks about clutching pearls
« on: February 23, 2012, 09:02:25 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/124051950

Oh my.

Stinky The Clown (45,071 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

About the gasping, fainting, and gnashing of teeth over jury verdicts

I see a lot of them. I've been on a lot of juries (my votes are pretty much always signed).

People seem to react to jury verdicts as if they serve as precedents for what is allowable and that, over time, they will become enshrined as "DU Law."

For what its worth, I don't think they are. I think each jury vote is applicable just to the post it adjudicated. There are plenty of juries, looking at similar posts, that go the opposite way, too.

Lastly, there is a great deal of carry-over from DU2. I see a lot of jurors citing some rule or another that is, for DU3, just plain non-existent. Not that these jurors are acting in bad faith. They're almost certainly doing exactly the opposite. My point is that the jury votes are of little value apart from the particular post they judge.

I think the jury system works pretty well.

edit to change the term "pearl clutching" to "fainting and gnashing of teeth" so as to preserve the thread's main point and because some found it offensive. I honestly didn't see it as such, but I'm gladly changing it out of respect for, and deference to, others.

It's a reasonably big campfire.

Ruby the Liberal (13,292 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

3. Skinner - "You take your chances"

Every jury is going to be different, and the quality of the alert comments can really swing things (which has gotten MUCH better and thorough, from what I have seen)

I am still on board with it. Have been since the beginning. I think its innovative and I'd like to see it succeed.

gkhouston (13,788 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

5. I'm well aware that many of the DU2 rules no longer exist, but I find that many of them are still good guidelines to what and what is not acceptable behavior.

11. That's a perfect example of the "good faith" I allude to in my OP.

People who cite these carry over rules are, I think, almost certainly acting in good faith.
William769 (21,929 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

28. And one group in particular was targeted on DU with that phrase.

29. I guess that's the root of the issue

As above, I never knew the term to be offensive until this thread. I always saw it as an action, not a person.

If the controversy is confined to a segment of DU, and not the larger context of the world in which we live, it is hardly fair to hold someone accountable to the standards of a particular subset of which the person is not a part. Can we *please* now get this thread back on track?
Bobbie Jo (6,193 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

12. You do know...

Only certain posters can get away with the "pearl clutching" reference? It appears you are on the "gets a pass" list.

16. Please see my edit

Which was made out of respect to the first two who mentioned this. It was being made as you were posting this.

I hope we can get the thread back on track.
WolverineDG (21,256 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

35. I still maintain that those yelling the most about adverse jury verdicts were the ones who got away with murder on DU2, using the mod system to bully others into only posting things that they agreed with or to shut down any discussion or any poster they didn't care for. Now that the mods are gone, they thought the "alert" system would work in their favor & to their chagrin, discovered they are not the popular "kool kidz" they thought they were.

justiceischeap (7,254 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

36. The thing that I don't get about the reaction to jury decisions is that DU is virtual... as in, not representative of real life. That said, if I noticed a really horrible comment left to stand (blatantly racist, homophobic, sexist, etc.), I might complain about it on H&M.

As I've posted before about juries, I think part of the issue with the jury system is that some that alert don't take the time to adequately explain why they thought the post should be alerted on. For example, with the phrase "pearl clutching," I think if it were explained that it was used to denigrate the LGBT community on DU, that may help in swaying the juries decision or at least educating fellow DU'ers why some of us don't like the phrase.

Not everyone is aware of certain things that are considered bigoted/racist/etc. to marginalized groups because the jurors may not be within that group.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline VivisMom

Re: the old dude thinks about clutching pearls
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 09:19:53 AM »
WTF is so offensive about "pearl clutching"?  :mental:

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 09:29:51 AM »
It exposes their true nature.  :gay2:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 10:07:42 AM »
WTF is so offensive about "pearl clutching"?  :mental:

I'm trying to figure that out myself.

When I read "pearl clutching," the image that comes to this mind is that of a lorgnetted shocked-into-silence Elsa Maxwell clutching at her necklace resting atop her rather ample upper shelf.

Other than that, I have no idea.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 10:13:39 AM »
Do we have somebody gay here, to explain why gays find "clutching at pearls" offensive?

I have a vivid imagination, a colorful imagination, a prolific imagination, but the "pictures" that come to mind when thinking of "clutching at pearls" seem to be absent any meaningful relevance to gaiety.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 10:14:10 AM »

It came up in the debate in the feminist forum and how it's considered sexist so it's a no no to use at DU. I used it the other day in a post and now Stinky used it, coincidence?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 10:15:16 AM »
Do we have somebody gay here, to explain why gays find "clutching at pearls" offensive?

I have a vivid imagination, a colorful imagination, a prolific imagination, but the "pictures" that come to mind when thinking of "clutching at pearls" seem to be absent any meaningful relevance to gaiety.

It's not anti-gay, the feminists for some reason consider it offensive, maybe because the picture of clutching pearls stirs up the image of an emotional irrational woman?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 10:16:39 AM »
It's not anti-gay, the feminists for some reason consider it offensive, maybe because the picture of clutching pearls stirs up the image of an emotional irrational woman?

Oh.

Thank you, madam.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 10:18:20 AM »
You're welcome!

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 10:27:01 AM »
A couple of them had a lucid moment.
Here's one.
Response to FSogol (Reply #9)
Wed Feb 22, 2012, 10:30 PM
 scarletwoman (23,249 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

18. Unfortunately, you're probably right. It's ridiculous.

Last edited Wed Feb 22, 2012, 11:21 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)

AFAIC, only pearl clutchers are offended by the phrase, "pearl clutching".

It describes a behavior, not a group of people.

(late edit, upon noticing the stupid misspelling of "ridiculous" - duh!)
StinkDUdes OP gets derailed at every turn.
Seems the commentors are clutching at pearls over clutching at pearls. :rotf:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 10:30:43 AM »
Stinky The Clown (45,071 posts)

edit to change the term "pearl clutching" to "fainting and gnashing of teeth" so as to preserve the thread's main point and because some found it offensive. I honestly didn't see it as such, but I'm gladly changing it out of respect for, and deference to, others.

Castrated bitch boy...
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 10:53:26 AM »
I always clutch my pearls...  :-)

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 10:56:09 AM »
So, libs want to honor claims of offensiveness ? Well then, I am offended by libs being offended.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 12:40:29 PM »
I always clutch my pearls...  :-)

I only let "Toots" clutch mine! Heh! I actually thought that was what they were complaining about. Pearls as a part of anatomy. Hence the LGBT reference.

As in: "She want a Pearl necklace"! "And that ain't jewelry she's talkin' 'bout!"

(edited to insert ZZ Top reference)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:43:19 PM by AllosaursRus »
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 12:49:44 PM »
Ok, I keep seeing "juries" wtf does it mean on DU?

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 12:56:50 PM »
Ok, I keep seeing "juries" wtf does it mean on DU?

They don't use moderators any more.

Whenever a primitive punches the "alert" button on a post, six primitives are selected at random to serve as a jury, to decide to (a) let the post stand or (b) delete the post.

It's a three-ring circus.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 01:00:05 PM »
They don't use moderators any more.

Whenever a primitive punches the "alert" button on a post, six primitives are selected at random to serve as a jury, to decide to (a) let the post stand or (b) delete the post.

It's a three-ring circus.

OH COOL!   :lmao:  That would be fun   :lmao:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 01:00:26 PM »
so can we mole our way over there and report like every other post?  :naughty:

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 01:02:24 PM »
so can we mole our way over there and report like every other post?  :naughty:

nadin kind of overdid that, when she was bullying people who didn't think she was the smartest person in the world.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 01:41:47 PM »
nadin kind of overdid that, when she was bullying people who didn't think she was the smartest person in the world.

Haven't rowed over for a while, is NadaBrain still in self exile?
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 01:50:25 PM »
It came up in the debate in the feminist forum and how it's considered sexist so it's a no no to use at DU. I used it the other day in a post and now Stinky used it, coincidence?

:lol:

He LOVES you!

Hi-5.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 02:01:14 PM »
Haven't rowed over for a while, is NadaBrain still in self exile?

Quite the opposite, she beat her detractors into submission by calling them bullies and saying it was like being in HS again.  I can pretty much guess she garnered a ton of sympathy since most DUmmies spent their HS years in lockers.
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840