Author Topic: Hub2Sparkly: A question for those of you who thoroughly understand economics..."  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Lauri

Husb2Sparkly  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Apr-28-08 09:58 AM
Original message
A question for those of you who thorougly understand economics .......

Advertisements [?]
Today we are where we are. We can point fingers and we can recriminate. And we probably should.

But economically, what should we *do*?

Would ending the war (and thereby eliminating that cost) help us in the short term, mid term, or long term?

Would rescinding every tax cut of the Bush years help us in the short term, mid term, or long term?

What will really help and what should we do?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3217152

and just one of the useful comments..

fasttense 
7. Increase government employee wages GS5 to GS11, or equivalent,

by about 40%, raise minimum wages to $10/hour and this will have an immediate improvement on consumer spending
. Ending the Iraq occupations pay outs would probably have a mid term improvement and ending the Paris Hilton income tax cuts will have a long term improvement. Immediately placing tariffs on all products with equal tariffs in foreign countries would also improve the economy and encourage US manufacturing. Immediately providing health care for all American citizens will make our labor competitive with other foreign countries and removing the tax incentive for outsourcing jobs would also encourage job growth and demand.

The middle class must be put back together again for any economic improvements. Trickle down does not, and never has, worked. If it did, then serfdom and feudalism would have been the most dynamic and robust economies in history. Get rid of this fake free trade mentality and regrow the middle class and the economy will improve.

I do not thoroughly understand economics but I understand common sense.

i'm gonna go out on a limb and assume 'fasttense' works for the guvmint?  :whatever: :-)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
LOL! GS-5 to GS-11? BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

That's about 26k a year bumped up to about 48k at step one.

http://www.fedjobs.com/pay/pay.html
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Flame

i'm gonna go out on a limb and assume 'fasttense' works for the guvmint?  :whatever: :-)

and is closer to the GS5 mark than the GS11 mark, and has no hope of ever making it that far, or you know he would have wanted that pay raise all the way up!

Offline jtyangel

Wow...not so quick one is suggesting a 15k to 30k increase in fed. gov. employee pay? LOL...well ok, I'm kinda quick tracked for DFAS so I'm not complaining, but really does it make sense? I don't deserve a job with DFAS or any other financial entity if I think so. Idjits. :thatsright:

Offline Lord Undies

raise minimum wages to $10/hour and this will have an immediate improvement on consumer spending.

....until the residual inflation kicks in and negates the "minimum wages" increase.  Liberals never think through to the end any mindless scheme their brain manufactures.

I do not thoroughly understand economics

....understatement of the century.

but I understand common sense.

....DUmmie common sense, yes.  Actual common sense, no.

Offline jukin

A free unicorn in every pot ought to do the trick.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Honestly, why are they so stupid? The govt has never been able to create prosperity, control the market or tax us into personal wealth. How do they breathe and walk upright???
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline jtyangel

Honestly, why are they so stupid? The govt has never been able to create prosperity, control the market or tax us into personal wealth. How do they breathe and walk upright???

I know Dixie. This sh*t always makes me  :thatsright:. I mean really. And these are the braniacs who get to decide along with the rest of us who will sit up in the highest office of the land. I know it's not everyone's strength, but if someone is going to engage in a conversation about economics, corporate earnings, taxes, etc etc they should have some basic understanding of what they are talking about. :thatsright:

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12

'Shrooms and LSD.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Lord Undies

'Shrooms and LSD.

and too much drinkin' and not enough thinkin'.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
Husb2Sparkly  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Apr-28-08 09:58 AM
Original message
A question for those of you who thorougly understand economics .......

Advertisements [?]
Today we are where we are. We can point fingers and we can recriminate. And we probably should.

But economically, what should we *do*?

Would ending the war (and thereby eliminating that cost) help us in the short term, mid term, or long term?

Would rescinding every tax cut of the Bush years help us in the short term, mid term, or long term?

What will really help and what should we do?

Well, I see the *****-whipped man-child of DU has received this week's talking points from his wife. I can kinda/sorta understand why they think ending the war would be economically viable (although war does create jobs) but how do they figure paying higher taxes, literally taking money out of people's pockets helps the economy? It's not like all those losing money they actually EARNED are eligible for any of those helpful government programs.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline jukin

When everyone except for the elite liberals are equally miserable they will be happy.

However, they are not communists they just have the same goals.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
When everyone except for the elite liberals are equally miserable they will be happy.

Misery loves company.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12

Misery loves company.

They're not happy unless they're not happy--and making others share in their misery.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Here's a basic economics question for the DUmmies:

If everyone in the U.S. was a millionaire, how much would a loaf of bread cost?
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
Why does fasttense want to stop at $10/hr?  Who can feed a family of four on that?  Let's end poverty in the United States and put the minimum wage at $50/hr.  Surely no one would ever go hungry then!
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther