Author Topic: Have you ever been under 'martial law' while living in the USA?  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
 :whatever:
Breeze54  (1000+ posts)       Sun Apr-27-08 07:35 PM
Original message
Poll question: Have you ever been under 'martial law' while living in the USA?
 Edited on Sun Apr-27-08 08:13 PM by Breeze54
I was just wondering if any DU members have ever experienced 'Martial Law' in their place of residence and what were those experiences and how did they deal with it. I was in a disaster in 1988 and I was under martial law for about a week. The worst for me was being 5 months pregnant and not being able to go get my car or get home to my apartment. I wasn't allowed near the disaster site, even though my car was parked a mile or two away from the actual disaster site. That area was closed off and no one was allowed in the vicinity. That caused me a great deal of hardship and I was lucky that I had a friend that took me in for the week and fed me and gave me a safe place to sleep. I wasn't able to get to a phone to call my family and let them know I was okay. There weren't any/many cellphones back then and later on I found out that the national news had over blown the stats on how many were injured and killed and my family was freaking out for a week, thinking I was dead, until I called them. I wasn't aware of the national reports at that time, until later on in the week. What a nightmare!

So, what were your experiences under Martial Law like?

------------

MARTIAL LAW

http://members.tripod.com/~Sidlinger/ml.html

The following guide will help you plan, prepare, and get ready in the event that martial law threatens your safety and well being. It is divided into two parts. The first part describes the framework for martial law and the second part the actions to take in preparing for the actual declaration of martial law.

INTERESTING FACTS

* Martial law is defined as: military rule or authority imposed on a civilian population when the civil authorities cannot maintain law and order, as in a time of war or during an emergency.

* Martial law can be declared due to natural disasters, Y2k Crisis, Stock Market crash, no electricity, riots, biological attack, .... anything leading to the breakdown of law and order.

More....

SURVIVING MARTIAL LAW

* Prepare before any declaration of martial law by becoming self reliant.

You may become subject to a bureaucratic system and be prepared to stay one step ahead
of it which is easy to do if you are prepared and in a position to be self reliant.

You may also face mob rule, chaos, panic, or a complete breakdown in law and order.

Surival situations may be easier to handle in rural areas than urban.

* Avoid areas of marital law. Can be imposed due to natural disasters or man caused events.
Important to have a retreat or place in a rural area away from populated areas.

* Create alliances with like minded neighbors or community members that share your views.
Team work and numbers may help your situation.

* Become transparent in the sense that you do not draw attention to yourself or your family.
For instance, do not tell people that you are storing food just store food. Be prepared to
render assistance to neighbors if need be. You never know when you will need them.

* Remain calm! Do not panic.

* Avoid areas of civil unrest if possible. If caught in civil unrest take appropriate action.

* Get informed and stay informed. Understand martial law can be a temporary crisis or an extended one.
In extreme cases the shape of a whole nation can change.

* Declaration of martial law means your rights are suspended and it is government by decree.
Your constitutional rights may no longer apply. This could mean a state of National Emergency.

* People can be arrested and imprisoned indefinitely without charges.

* Freedom of speech and freedom of assembly can be suspended, and censorship of the media imposed.

* Gun ownership will also come under severe attack during marital law. We could see house to house searches by the military or National Guard looking for guns and seizing any they find along with stored food.

* Take a stand on issues and make a choice that fits your beliefs and the situation. Do you believe as Patrick Henry,
"Give me liberty or give me death?" Realize you may have some hard choices to make.

Understand you may have to sacrifice your principles on trivial matters or take a hard stand.

Always remember that you may have to come back and fight another day.

--------

I just happened on the above website doing a google search and some seems true and some seems pretty scary and hard core to me.

Poll result (41 votes) 
Yes and I'll explain what happened.  (17 votes, 41%) Vote
No, I've never experienced it.  (22 votes, 54%) Vote
Other  (2 votes, 5%) Vote

I think my next moles name will be MarshallLaw :whatever: :-) They have an unnatural fixation with martial law almost like they hope for it.http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=389&topic_id=3215295&mesg_id=3215295
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: Have you ever been under 'martial law' while living in the USA?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 07:51:03 AM »
I've been subject to MARITAL law.

That definitely sucked.

Martial law HAS to be better.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 07:58:19 AM »
Oh, Toasted, I have no doubt, no doubt at all, that the primitives and sub-primitives subconsciously lust for martial law; it would confirm their victimhood.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 08:07:30 AM »
Oh, Toasted, I have no doubt, no doubt at all, that the primitives and sub-primitives subconsciously lust for martial law; it would confirm their victimhood.
I think the psychology is dual-sided.

It confirms their victimhood, explaining-away their personal failures but the flipside is they get to portray themselves as the rag-tag band of freedom fighters defying the all-powerful emperor. Add in a heavy dose of Marx talking about the proliteriat overcoming their capitalist masters and voila! you've got a steaming pile of DUmmie talking points.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 08:11:41 AM »
I've been subject to MARITAL law.

That definitely sucked.

Martial law HAS to be better.

You bet your ass -- it was a great show starring Kelly Hu:

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 09:35:04 AM »
I think the psychology is dual-sided.

It confirms their victimhood, explaining-away their personal failures but the flipside is they get to portray themselves as the rag-tag band of freedom fighters defying the all-powerful emperor. Add in a heavy dose of Marx talking about the proliteriat overcoming their capitalist masters and voila! you've got a steaming pile of DUmmie talking points.

H5 for that and for the "marital law" quip!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 10:40:52 AM »
H5 for the Kelly Hu photo.... :-) :cheersmate:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 10:46:38 AM »
I was under martial law for about 18 years.  It was called parents, and it helped prepare me for any upcoming martial law.  Perhaps if these DUmmies had real parents they wouldn't be so afraid of HAVING to do what they are told.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 11:13:19 AM »
I was under martial law for about 18 years.  It was called parents, and it helped prepare me for any upcoming martial law.  Perhaps if these DUmmies had real parents they wouldn't be so afraid of HAVING to do what they are told.
Good point.  The last time I checked there was no democracy at home.   :uhsure:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 11:20:33 AM »
When you were raised by parents who were more friends than authority figures and you won't get a job or therefore a boss to tell you what to do, you'll naturally panic at the notion of "you will do as you're told."
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 11:24:59 AM »
When you were raised by parents who were more friends than authority figures and you won't get a job or therefore a boss to tell you what to do, you'll naturally panic at the notion of "you will do as you're told."
Actually I was rarely told what to do.  I got asked a lot and knew what would happen if I chose not to.   :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 11:36:30 AM »
And yet they want a government that will do exactly that. It baffles the mind.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 11:40:58 AM »

Yeah, they lust for it just so long as they don't REALLY have to suffer. I'm not quite sure what they invision it to be but it certainly doesn't include things like not having Internet, rationing food, fuel, etc...maybe curfews during the week.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams