Author Topic: Could Rev Wright Hire an Attorney and Sue.....  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Lord Undies

Could Rev Wright Hire an Attorney and Sue.....
« on: April 26, 2008, 02:50:46 PM »
Skwmom (1000+ posts)        Sat Apr-26-08 03:37 PM
Original message
Could Rev Wright hire an attorney and sue for defamation/libel/slander?

While a politician might be fair game, destroying an individual to bring down a politician should not. Could Wright hire someone to shut up Fox News, MSNBC, CNN and all of the other talking heads? Aren't they pretty terrified of Lin Wood, the attorney that won truckloads of money from the media?

Taking clips and using them to trash one's reputation shouldn't be allowed.

He could try, but I haven't heard of too many people who were dumb enough to try to say using their own words was slander/libel/defamation.  Would not to try be a bit self incriminating? 

bow-tie  (82 posts)        Sat Apr-26-08 03:42 PM
Response to Original message

1. I listened to him last nite on PBS and he said "damned" verb, not "damn" adverb? He said that instead of blessing america he(God) damned america for the rotten things america has done. These facts are not refuted.

Gee!  One hundred million people have heard the "sermon" and bow-tie is the first one to hear "damned" instead if "damn".  Imagine that!

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x5696454

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Could Rev Wright Hire an Attorney and Sue.....
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 02:52:49 PM »
sfexpat2000  (1000+ posts)         Sat Apr-26-08 03:46 PM
3. If you have two minutes and want to do something,
   Edited on Sat Apr-26-08 03:47 PM by sfexpat2000
write a note to the New York Times editorial page -- who still has the mendacity to call his rhetoric racist TODAY.

Here is the column:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.ph...

Here is the address: letters@nytimes.com

Keep your note to about 150 words.

Here is a sample, the one I wrote this morning:

Editor,

If this editorial page is persisting in calling Reverend Wright's rhetoric "racist", it is participating in a media lynching and owes him and Trinity Church an apology.

There is nothing racist about Wright's actual remarks in context. And I don't know which is worse -- that the Times continues to baselessly attack a decorated Marine, a learned historian and priceless community leader or that the Times is apparently using Fox News as a source.

Elizabeth Ferrari

push BACK.

Beth, the eternal clear-thinker.   :whatever:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 02:55:48 PM »
Skwmom (1000+ posts)        Sat Apr-26-08 03:37 PM
Original message

While a politician might be fair game, destroying an individual to bring down a politician should not. Could Wright hire someone to shut up Fox News, MSNBC, CNN and all of the other talking heads? Aren't they pretty terrified of Lin Wood, the attorney that won truckloads of money from the media?

He could try, but I haven't heard of too many people who were dumb enough to try to say using their own words was slander/libel/defamation.  Would not to try be a bit self incriminating? 

bow-tie  (82 posts)        Sat Apr-26-08 03:42 PM

1. I listened to him last nite on PBS and he said "damned" verb, not "damn" adverb? He said that instead of blessing america he(God) damned america for the rotten things america has done. These facts are not refuted.

Gee!  One hundred million people have heard the "sermon" and bow-tie is the first one to hear "damned" instead if "damn".  Imagine that!

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x5696454

It is simpler than that.  Truth is an absolute defense against libel and slander.  He is on film saying his words.  Whether they are clipped or not, it doesn't change the legal picture.

He said it, they repeated it, case closed.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 03:02:41 PM »
Elizabeth Ferrari

push BACK.

Oh yea...I'm worried and I am sure the NYT is as well...Het Liz! you are a moran...just sayin' :mental:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 09:52:17 PM »
There is nothing racist about Wright's actual remarks in context. And I don't know which is worse -- that the Times continues to baselessly attack a decorated Marine, a learned historian and priceless community leader or that the Times is apparently using Fox News as a source.

Hey wow! They love troops now! :sarcasm:
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 10:42:45 PM »
The "Damned" wouldn't make sense unless he had also said "Blessed" for the contrast in that statement, which he didn't.  And both forms are verbs, one is the past tense form and the other is in the second person imperative form.  Bow-tie, I hope to Christ you aren't a teacher.

:loser:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 11:38:17 PM »

THIS is funny as hell.  libel or slander?  he freaking SAID it.  it's on video.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 12:07:27 AM »
Skwmom (1000+ posts)        Sat Apr-26-08 03:37 PM
Original message

Not unless and until the Haditha Marines are able to sue Murtha...and he DID slander them...doesn't even bother to deny it or apologize.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 12:40:13 AM »
And once again we see just how well the DUmpmonkies at DU paid attention in class when it comes to anything let alone legal matters
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 12:51:24 AM »
I am glad that I have never encountered dump monkeys as retarded as these morons.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 01:41:12 AM »
Wright's got plenty of money now thanks to Obama's financial support.  I'm sure he could do whatever he wanted.

He probably won't.   :loser:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 06:29:22 AM »
Wright's got plenty of money now thanks to Obama's financial support.  I'm sure he could do whatever he wanted.

He probably won't.   :loser:

He'd be crazy to sue, there might be people with actual brains on the jury.  No, he'll use the whole thing to raise mo' money for himself and his causes by milking the cultists.  I see guest sermons with "Special love offerings," and perhaps a book deal.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 07:58:16 AM »
He'd have as much luck as Dan Blather and his TX Air Nat'l Guard memos...which--BTW--was dismissed out-of-hand; meaning the judge called Blather's assertion the memos aren't BS a load of prima fascia BS. The only part of the case moving forward relies on contract law and his firing.

According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline jukin

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 08:35:42 AM »
It is simpler than that.  Truth is an absolute defense against libel and slander.  He is on film saying his words.  Whether they are clipped or not, it doesn't change the legal picture.

That will change if the DUchebags have anything to do with it.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 08:48:26 AM »

That will change if the DUchebags have anything to do with it.
Indeed.

lie = anything DUmmies don't like to hear
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 10:46:03 AM »
I suppose he could, with some of the courts out there, but he'd have to sue whoever made those statements in the first place.  Which means that he'd have to look in a mirror, and go from there.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 11:46:33 AM »
I suppose he could, with some of the courts out there, but he'd have to sue whoever made those statements in the first place.  Which means that he'd have to look in a mirror, and go from there.

OTOH, if he could manage to get the case heard by the 9th curcuit they'd twist themselves in knots looking for ways to find for the rev.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams