Author Topic: the ONLY way to fix the gun problem is to repeal 2a.  (Read 340 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
the ONLY way to fix the gun problem is to repeal 2a.
« on: April 07, 2023, 08:30:41 AM »
Star Member mopinko (66,642 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100217803684

the ONLY way to fix the gun problem is to repeal 2a.

i just tried to find the vid i saw by beau of the 5th column where he pointed out that it is useless to pass gun laws when this scotus has proven they will strike them ALL down. but i cant find it. as usually, he made the very cogent argument that as long as we have a scotus determined to twist it’s meaning, we will only sink lower.
to pursue piecemeal gun laws is a useless endeavor. a waste like the thugs and their repeated abortion laws that were sent up knowing they would be struck down. yes, they did finally win but only because the same ppl bought the court. the good guys are not gonna buy the court.

we need to address the issue head on. have a debate about the meaning of the amendment.
fine, replace it w something that allows guns, but spells out that they can and should be actually well regulated. make able bodied gun owners do some service. make them go to ‘boot camp’, learn the rules, get proficiency, post a bond or have insurance.
have a national debate about the place of guns in this country.

the rest is building on a foundation of sand.

:bird:

bucolic_frolic (36,288 posts)

1. Need to define arms

ball and mace, grenade, baseball bat. All are arms. but SCOTUS is obsessed with bullets. and arms were different in 1791.

::)

4. i honestly dont think it can be "fixed"

but i also dont think we will get rid of all guns. what it will do is force the conversation and at this point even gun owners think the current situation is insane.

Star Member BlueTsunami2018 (2,955 posts)

2. So there's no way to fix it.

Because it’s so improbable that it could ever happen that it’s practically impossible.

There are ways to mitigate the damage but repealing the second is out of the question. It’s just not going to happen.

That, unfortunately, is reality.

3. neither is an assault weapons ban or anything else.

and you cant mitigate anything under this court.

303squadron (258 posts)

7. To those who say gun control won't work I'd like to point out that

bazooka control has.

:thatsright:

Star Member MiHale (7,684 posts)

9. I've got a different way...

It’ll never happen as a repeal of the Second will never happen. But here goes…

Show everyone exactly what guns do to a human body, take a photo tour of the death and destruction inside a shot-up classroom. Closeups of the bodies or what parts of them that could be distinguished. No holding back everything, just as if you were walking through. It would be better if the smells could be published alongside the visuals.
Peoples minds would be changed, hopefully for the better but they would never forget.

Why everyone should have a weapon to protect themselves...

sanatanadharma (2,759 posts)

12. There are right wingers pushing for a Constitutional Convention; they think change is possible

There are right wingers pushing for a Constitutional Convention; they think change is possible.

The changes to the Constitution they want will not please progressive educated humanity.
So sure, leftists can continue to sulk and say nothing can be done, but change will come and it will not be pretty.
Ignore the 2nd amendment and let the Supreme Court send the cops to force guns into our hands.

Zoning laws, insurance requirements, public brandishing laws, intimidation; there are many tactics that can be taken.
Would any of us have expected, two years ago, that the right wing could nearly roll back all of the progress of the last 50 years?
They are trying and they are not saying, "But the Constitution...!"

Shanti Shanti Shanti (11,610 posts)

20. First, you need 2/3 of both the House AND Senate AND 3/4 of the states to ratify (that's 38 states)

Good luck with that repeal

:whatever:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
Re: the ONLY way to fix the gun problem is to repeal 2a.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 09:19:28 AM »
Would any of us have expected, two years ago, that the right wing could nearly roll back all of the progress of the last 50 years?

This primitive seems oblivious to who has been in control for over two years now.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 09:23:05 AM »
Ignoring her word "problem", I'll give mopsie a half-kudo for getting it. "The people" and "Shall not be infringed" mean exactly what they say, and not less.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 10:58:16 AM »
Star Member MiHale (7,684 posts)

9. I've got a different way...

It’ll never happen as a repeal of the Second will never happen. But here goes…

Show everyone exactly what guns do to a human body, take a photo tour of the death and destruction inside a shot-up classroom. Closeups of the bodies or what parts of them that could be distinguished. No holding back everything, just as if you were walking through. It would be better if the smells could be published alongside the visuals.
Peoples minds would be changed, hopefully for the better but they would never forget.

I wonder if the DUmmie supports this approach to abortion as well.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 11:04:37 AM »
I wonder if the DUmmie supports this approach to abortion as well.

Of course not. Abortion is a right guaranteed in the Constitution and been the law for 50years.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2023, 03:16:58 PM »
the good guys are not gonna buy the court.

The "god guys" (bought-and-paid-for politicians) have spoken openly about packing the courts. If they can't win what they want, they'll just take it.

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2023, 09:43:58 AM »
I'm not sure what they think they'd accomplish by amending amendment 2 anyway.

Have they paid any attention at all to states legalizing marijuana in spite of federal law?

Do they not understand that the majority of states have state constitutional protection of gun ownership, and that attempting to nullify those would be seen far and wide as a sort of breach of contract when it comes to states being a part of the union?

Do they not understand that any 'gun war' would make the drug war look like a pajama party?

They'd run out of people to grab guns long before we ran out of guns to grab, and ammunition to feed them.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2023, 10:09:39 AM »
A quick and easy way is just shoot the criminals it will reduce prison population and ease the burden on the courts
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!