Author Topic: Am I the only one who's not afraid of a "civil war"?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Am I the only one who's not afraid of a "civil war"?
« on: October 02, 2019, 05:59:46 PM »
PNW-Dem (70 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212528400

Am I the only one who's not afraid of a "civil war"?
Not that it has any chance of happening, but am I supposed to be afraid of a bunch of tubby MAGA hat wearing losers?

:cheersmate:

Oh, I'm betting it happens sooner rather than later.

Star Member calguy (1,359 posts)

1. Not worried here

Those dudes are all talk and no brains.

live love laugh (3,381 posts)

93. It's domestic terrorism by Republicans

Last edited Tue Oct 1, 2019, 05:08 PM - Edit history (2)

Not worried about any actual war which would mean us arming against “them”. That’s really not the case. They’re basically planning to try to stifle dissent with AR 15s.

beachbumbob (1,676 posts)

3. I am a 2nd amendment democrat so I have little fear

Why haven't you turned in your firearms, Comrade?  :popcorn:

Star Member sharedvalues (6,746 posts)

56. You mean the false 2nd Amendment interpretation created by Scalia?

A fraud on the American public." That’s how former Chief Justice Warren Burger described the idea that the Second Amendment gives an unfettered individual right to a gun. When he spoke these words to PBS in 1990, the rock-ribbed conservative appointed by Richard Nixon was expressing the longtime consensus of historians and judges across the political spectrum.

https://www.brennancenter.org/analysis/how-nra-rewrote-second-amendment

Star Member X_Digger (18,480 posts)

107. You mean the right that the same framers ensconced in their respective state constitutions?

The present-day Pennsylvania Constitution, using language adopted in 1790, declares: "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defence of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."

Vermont: Adopted in 1777, the Vermont Constitution closely tracks the Pennsylvania Constitution. It states "That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State.."

Kentucky: The 1792 Kentucky constitution was nearly contemporaneous with the Second Amendment, which was ratified in 1791. Kentucky declared: "That the right of the citizens to bear arms in defence of themselves and the State, shall not be questioned."

Alabama: The Alabama Constitution, adopted in 1819, guarantees "that every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state".

Funny how this 'militia only' nonsense ignores the states' founding documents, some even ratified before the federal amendment.

Of course, nobody except Michael Waldman (the author of the piece) claims anyone expects an 'unfettered' right.

:popcorn:

110. You're talking about the widespread opinion of everyone

Before the NRA and their rightwing billionaire donors changed the interpretation to use gun identity politics to get votes.

Ps that same change and same gun identity politics gets our children massacred at schools.

Thanks, NRA. Thanks, John Roberts. Thanks, Federalist Society.

119. Can't help you if you're going to ignore fact

And take quotes out of context

Star Member X_Digger (18,480 posts)

120. Facts like no law ever passed said. 'guns are for militias only'?

Facts like that?

****ing duh.

Here's a fact you seem to have missed.. from 1790, BEFORE the federal amendments..

"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defence of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."

How's that "militia only" bullshit sit with that?

Star Member alittlelark (16,852 posts)

34. No debate there - but the R's are trying to invoke FEAR

The US Civil War was hideous, and drawn on semi-distinct lines. A new one will NOT be so easily differentiated. We live next door to each other and our kids play on the same soccer team.....

Star Member lapfog_1 (22,090 posts)

6. not afraid of them

but it is LIKELY we will see (more) Trump inspired mass shootings... and a non-zero chance of targeted assassination attempts on Democratic Leaders

Star Member malaise (196,326 posts)

11. Seriously who do you think would fight a civil war over

Don the Con - this ****er has never once had 50% approval.
He will learn.

Star Member Blue_true (17,160 posts)

13. The problem is, those people have no idea of what a civil war is like.

They really think that they will still be able to go out for the $5 breakfast at IHOP and attend their bingo games and chuckle about cute pictures of the kids or grandkids at the beach.

customerserviceguy (22,125 posts)

106. And a lot of people on the ultra-progressive side

have no idea what a "revolution" will look like, yet they have dreamy recollections (many of which are second-hand) about how "cool" the 1960's were.

Star Member Blue_true (17,160 posts)

26. I have been an advocate of splitting up the nation.

And moving people to the country they prefer, with a right to minor children to change countries at 21 years of age.

We could have a mutual defense for the first 20 years, but after that each country must have build it's own military and federal police.

bluestarone (6,721 posts)

29. If that's what it takes to get this asshole out

SO BE IT!!! For the Grandkids!

NCLefty (1,606 posts)

36. The first one killed 620,000 Americans. We should all be afraid of that.

Of course, the first civil war had clearly-delineated lines.... north v. south. How do we conduct one where any given American neighborhood could be split red/blue?

I'm not sure I see this happening over Donald Trump, but I'm not going to taunt the notion either.

Pretty easy I'd say. These idiots think the American Civil War was perfectly drawn sides. It wasn't.

Star Member rownesheck (758 posts)

62. Not worried.

In fact, I welcome it.

:mental:

Star Member Aristus (47,503 posts)

90. I'm not.

Their precious AR-15's wouldn't even scratch the paint of my old, trusty M1 Abrams. I would gladly re-up at age 51 to help take down those mother****ers.

Star Member LakeArenal (7,507 posts)

101. I remember the good ole boys' days

When they threatened to secede from the Union. That worked out well for them.

As Jon Stewart used to say: Proceeded.

:thatsright:

Star Member wasupaloopa (4,190 posts)

128. Can you see a bunch of mama's boys going up

against their state national guard?

You have seen how in shape and organized those folks at trump’s rallies are.

Star Member Alea (594 posts)

134. Yep. Most comments in this thread refer to out of control protest, not civil war.

True civil war between the right and the left would be ugly and disastrous. If it happened with a repub president they would have the military and police on their side, minus maybe 25-30% that would defect to our side. If it happened with a Democrat president, 70% of the military and police would defect to the right. Cities would be cut off and burn from within once people started running out of food. Looting, rioting, and roving gangs would destroy what was left. Cities can't feed themselves. Rural America can.

That doesn't even take in to account that most Democrats don't own guns and most repubs do, and just as most military and police are on the right, most former military and police are on the right. Their Army would out number our Army.

True Civil War would not be 1861 America North vs South. It would be Left vs Right, and it would not be a few groups of meal team 6 maga's going berserk at antifa protests. Those are just protesters getting out of hand. True Civil War would encompass most of the Country and it would suck bad.

Might be fun to talk about but it really really needs to be avoided at all cost. I hope it never happens.

:cheersmate:

Creature (1 post)

136. take a breather, people

Most responses to this thread are severely myopic. A civil war would end very badly for us. To believe otherwise is foolish and downright dangerous. I am a realist. The fact of the matter is that most of us do not own (or even have access to) a single firearm..by choice...unlike the rePunks. Every single rePunk that I know owns guns. Lots of them. Even a tubby redneck, who has been shooting guns from a young age, could do a lot of damage to a gathering of us if we were ever ready to get "hands on" physical. I think the posturing in this thread just makes us look stupid.

Bernardo de La Paz (29,476 posts)

137. So, for your first post you tell DU members they are stupid. Welcome to DU, I think. Enjoy your stay

:lmao:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
Re: Am I the only one who's not afraid of a "civil war"?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 06:13:35 PM »
Hey Creature got it in one post. And the other DUmbasses are pissed he spoke the truth.

Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 06:30:52 PM »
Who says a Civil War would even involve guns? You know primitives, there's all sorts of things one can do that will upset your little visions of a liberal utopia and destroy what you would wish America to become, and none of them involve using weapons.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 07:44:55 PM »
Who says a Civil War would even involve guns? You know primitives, there's all sorts of things one can do that will upset your little visions of a liberal utopia and destroy what you would wish America to become, and none of them involve using weapons.

Take away their drugs?
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 02:31:27 AM »
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 03:25:01 AM »
DUmmies are afraid of plastic straws.  And they think they could win a civil war?

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 08:48:42 AM »
Star Member lapfog_1 (22,090 posts)

6. not afraid of them

but it is LIKELY we will see (more) Trump inspired mass shootings... and a non-zero chance of targeted assassination attempts on Democratic Leaders
Steve Scalise was already shot by a lefty Bernie supporter and Rand Paul assaulted by a lefty kook neighbor. As far as I can tell no one on the left has been targeted because of politics.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline jukin

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 05:44:57 PM »
I'm not at my age 30 fighting weight but can shoot the hell out of the Ten RIng at 200 mtrs.

I'm not afraid.  I'm concerned where the dEVIL left is pushing decent and civilized people. 
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 04:34:30 AM »
Wow -- a lefty who gets it.  Blind pig finds a truffle:
Star Member Alea (594 posts)

134. Yep. Most comments in this thread refer to out of control protest, not civil war.

True civil war between the right and the left would be ugly and disastrous. If it happened with a repub president they would have the military and police on their side, minus maybe 25-30% that would defect to our side. If it happened with a Democrat president, 70% of the military and police would defect to the right. Cities would be cut off and burn from within once people started running out of food. Looting, rioting, and roving gangs would destroy what was left. Cities can't feed themselves. Rural America can.

That doesn't even take in to account that most Democrats don't own guns and most repubs do, and just as most military and police are on the right, most former military and police are on the right. Their Army would out number our Army.

True Civil War would not be 1861 America North vs South. It would be Left vs Right, and it would not be a few groups of meal team 6 maga's going berserk at antifa protests. Those are just protesters getting out of hand. True Civil War would encompass most of the Country and it would suck bad.

Might be fun to talk about but it really really needs to be avoided at all cost. I hope it never happens.

Implicit in that is that rural areas are all Conservative.  That is where the FOOD comes from!!!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 06:59:40 AM »
Implicit in that is that rural areas are all Conservative.  That is where the FOOD comes from!!!

They'd quickly resort to the Soviet tactics of the early 20s when the peasants stopped bringing in food to the cities because they were working for nothing and being paid in worthless money - they sent armed parties out to seized food and the farmers be damned, because the urban workers were the Commie power base.  Which would probably turn out a lot differently in America than it did in the USSR.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 07:58:20 AM »
There's two other vulnerabilities for the other side in a civil war that I never see detailed: if the primitives on Skins's island are any indication, the left would expect "other people" to do their fighting for them, and the left shows a deficiency in individual initiative and action, in risk-taking.

Those alone are pretty serious vulnerabilities.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jukin

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 09:44:04 AM »
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Gwitness

• Leave that thing alone.
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 11:31:04 AM »

guess where their water comes from......large city infrastructure is extremely vulnerable.

Offline Aristotelian

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 06:01:55 AM »
There's two other vulnerabilities for the other side in a civil war that I never see detailed: if the primitives on Skins's island are any indication, the left would expect "other people" to do their fighting for them, and the left shows a deficiency in individual initiative and action, in risk-taking.

Those alone are pretty serious vulnerabilities.

As always frank hits the nail on the head.

All mouth and no trousers - they expect other people (usually 'the government') to do everything for them, why would this be any different?

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 10:19:54 AM »
The Left makes me laugh when it comes to this subject.

We can shut-down all communications within hours.  They'll slide into chaos a whole lot faster than we ever will.  We're the ones who're committed to saving the Country.