Author Topic: E-Verify  (Read 2080 times)

Offline ChuckJ

E-Verify
« on: January 28, 2013, 01:53:16 PM »
What can anyone tell me about the E-Verify program?

I recently did a job for a small town. Now after the work has been completed and I'm wanting to get paid they're asking me to fill out and have notarized a Contractor Affidavit stating that I use E-Verify.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: E-Verify
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 01:59:28 PM »
I think you may have to visit your local SS office.  I don't think that's something you can do over the phone.

I had to have an affidavit notarized because my eVerify records came back with a flag on them (I never found out why but I did get the problem resolved -- possibly because I had the wrong city down for my place of birth).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:01:38 PM by Chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 02:03:09 PM »
What can anyone tell me about the E-Verify program?

I recently did a job for a small town. Now after the work has been completed and I'm wanting to get paid they're asking me to fill out and have notarized a Contractor Affidavit stating that I use E-Verify.

E-Verify is used by employers to verify the people who work for them are legal.  It's a SSN verification process.  I wouldn't be surprised that a govt would require you to use them.  But, they should have told you before you did the job.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 02:06:39 PM »
E-Verify is used by employers to verify the people who work for them are legal.  It's a SSN verification process.  I wouldn't be surprised that a govt would require you to use them.  But, they should have told you before you did the job.

Now they will use this to get out of paying.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 02:10:08 PM »
Now they will use this to get out of paying.

More than likely.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 02:11:36 PM »
I'm essentially my only employee. The W-9 that they've got has my SSN. I don't have an Fed ID number. I don't have any payrolled employees. My help is usually my wife or a family member. Since my wife gets all my money anyway she doesn't get a check. I give whatever family member that helps me a 1099 at the end of the year.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 02:23:55 PM »
I'm essentially my only employee. The W-9 that they've got has my SSN. I don't have an Fed ID number. I don't have any payrolled employees. My help is usually my wife or a family member. Since my wife gets all my money anyway she doesn't get a check. I give whatever family member that helps me a 1099 at the end of the year.

Hm.  If you don't have any payrolled employees, and you are the only employee, you shouldn't have to use E-Verify. It's probably a blanket requirement for all contractors.  This might be helpful for you, I don't know what state you are in.

https://www.numbersusa.com/content/learn/illegal-immigration/map-states-mandatory-e-verify-laws.html

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 02:32:50 PM »
Hm.  If you don't have any payrolled employees, and you are the only employee, you shouldn't have to use E-Verify. It's probably a blanket requirement for all contractors.  This might be helpful for you, I don't know what state you are in.

https://www.numbersusa.com/content/learn/illegal-immigration/map-states-mandatory-e-verify-laws.html

Here's what it says for Georgia (my state):

SB 529 - Passed in 2006, SB 529 requires public employers, contractors and subcontractors with 500 or more employees to participate in E-Verify for all new employees, effective July 1, 2007. Public employers, contractors and subcontractors with more than 100 employees (but less than 500) must use E-Verify on or before July 1, 2008 and public employers, contractors and subcontractors with fewer than 100 employees must use E-Verify on or before July 1, 2009.

HB 87 - Passed in 2011, HB 87 requires all private businesses with more than 10 employees to use E-Verify. The phase-in began on July 1, 2011 and runs through July 1, 2013.

I guess the bolded may include me even though less than 10% (probably much less) comes from government jobs, and this would be city and county governments.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 03:37:33 PM »
Chuck, I HAVE to believe that there is an exception, when you are the contractor, and they have your SSN.  I am not sure how that would work, however.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 05:23:17 AM »
Chuck, I HAVE to believe that there is an exception, when you are the contractor, and they have your SSN.  I am not sure how that would work, however.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I faxed them a letter telling them I didn't participate in e-verify and that as a small, private business I wasn't required to participate so I couldn't fill out the form and have it notarized. They said okay and that they check would be in the mail today. So maybe it's been worked out.

I did go to the e-verify website. The disclaimer (or whatever its called) on the initial sign-up page concerns me considering the current administration that we have.

Since I post on here and I don't bow down toward DC three times a day and chant liberalism is the only God and bambam is its messenger I'm probably already on some sort of watch list.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 10:44:13 AM »
I faxed them a letter telling them I didn't participate in e-verify and that as a small, private business I wasn't required to participate so I couldn't fill out the form and have it notarized. They said okay and that they check would be in the mail today. So maybe it's been worked out.

I did go to the e-verify website. The disclaimer (or whatever its called) on the initial sign-up page concerns me considering the current administration that we have.

Since I post on here and I don't bow down toward DC three times a day and chant liberalism is the only God and bambam is its messenger I'm probably already on some sort of watch list.

Glad you got some results from the town.  Watchlist?  Shoot, had to give some blood last week for testing.  At Quest, the lab tech runs your insurance and the bloodwork request from a pc in her station.  First time I saw someone run my Drivers License through the card reader.  My primary care doctor popped up as info, I tried to see more, but they are pretty handy in making sure you can't see over their shoulders too much.  Creepy.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 12:59:07 PM »
Now they are telling me today that I can not be paid for the work until the Contractor Affidavit is filled out, signed, and returned.