Author Topic: Oh What a Time to Be Young!  (Read 2190 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Oh What a Time to Be Young!
« on: September 06, 2009, 03:18:41 PM »
Pity the unemployed, but especially pity the teenage unemployed.

According to today’s job report, the overall unemployment rate (the percentage of people in the labor force not working but looking for work) in August rose to 9.7 percent, its highest level in 26 years. The teenage unemployment rate, however, is at 25.5 percent, its highest level since the Bureau of Labor Statistics began keeping track of such data in 1948.

Take a look at the chart below, which shows seasonally adjusted unemployment rates for teenagers (workers 16 to 19), nonteenagers (20 or older) and older workers (55 or older). You’ll see that teenage unemployment has always topped the other two, but it has been especially bad in this recession: ...
http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/04/oh-what-a-time-to-be-young/

Offline Gratiot

Re: Oh What a Time to Be Young!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 03:28:30 PM »
I just sat with a younger guy in an evening business class who seemed quite smart and capable... whom was working as a paper boy, because that's the only 'near full-time' employment he could find.  What a bummer

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 03:36:52 PM »
It's those late teens and early 20-somethings that voted for Black Jesus in droves. How's that hope and change thing working out for ya?  :lmao:

Idiots.
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 03:44:06 PM »
It's those late teens and early 20-somethings that voted for Black Jesus in droves. How's that hope and change thing working out for ya?  :lmao:

Idiots.

In all fairness, the trek and leap off of financial sanity, began before Obama took office. 

Regardless of our disdain for the big zero in many areas... we have to be honest, and mocking those suffering during this depression does no justice at all.

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 03:53:04 PM »
I have little sympathy for the rugrats who can't find work. I guess that means they have to ask mommy and daddy to pay their cell phone bill. (memo to rugrats-you don't need a cell phone)

I do however have sympathy for people who have lost their jobs and have to pay rent or a mortgage, insurance, car payments, food for the family, tuition etc....

I never indebted myself to bankers and credit card companies. I've always been frugal and if I didn't have the money to buy something I needed I did without. I'm 33 and have accumulated close to $1 million dollars through saving and investing. My credit card bill balance (I only have one) is about $7,000.

Ergo, I have little sympathy for people who live on credit and suddenly find themselves in dire straights when the bill comes due.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 03:59:05 PM by ColonialMarine0431 »

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 04:00:10 PM »
I have little sympathy for the rugrats who can't find work. I guess that means they have to ask mommy and daddy to pay their cell phone bill. (memo to rugrats-you don't need a cell phone)

I do however have sympathy for people who have lost their jobs and have to pay rent or a mortgage, insurance, car payments, food for the family, tuition etc....

Not to debate... and surely there's little need for a $80 a month Iphone plan from someone without a job....

But, in todays day and age, with cell phone plans tending to be significantly cheaper for a mobile population... I'd actually consider them a necessity.  One isn't likely to find gainful employment, without a telephone number to give.  Handing out grandmother's phone number, and asking for a message to be left there... doesn't leave the best impression. 

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 04:02:21 PM »
2 words: Land Line.

And Answering Machine.

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 04:08:02 PM »
2 words: Land Line.

And Answering Machine.

Again... cell phone plans are often cheaper... at least until you start getting into Skype/Broadband variants... but if you're paying for a high speed internet connection... you're likely not particularly worried about affording a cell or land line phone plan.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 04:08:55 PM »
I went to a Budget (I think) rental car place to rent a car for a day... they wouldn't let me rent one without a working land line for my home phone number.  :bird:

For the amount that I use my cell phone, it is cheaper.  A land line from Ma Bell is $35 a month.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 04:13:13 PM »
I went to a Budget (I think) rental car place to rent a car for a day... they wouldn't let me rent one without a working land line for my home phone number.  :bird:

For the amount that I use my cell phone, it is cheaper.  A land line from Ma Bell is $35 a month.

Wow, with their clientele you would think they'd be particularly aware of people whom have severed their land lines and went cell-only. 

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 04:18:50 PM »
... but if you're paying for a high speed internet connection... you're likely not particularly worried about affording a cell or land line phone plan.

That's one of my monthly splurges. Ages ago I had dial up, then I splurged on DSL for my desktop and also got a laptop with wireless to go online while on lunch in the mess hall. As a Marine Corps Logistics pogue I spend a good deal of my day in front of a computer sending and receiving orders.

Re: Cells. I have one but only my C.O. and a few close friends and family have the number. In fact I keep it turned off most of the time and those that do know my number know to call only in case of emergency.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 07:55:44 AM »
Cell line is cheaper for me, and the only people who ever called me on a landline were bill collectors looking for the last guy to have that number.  I got rid of it as soon as it was apparent that it was worthless to me as a communication tool.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 02:10:43 PM »
Again... cell phone plans are often cheaper... at least until you start getting into Skype/Broadband variants... but if you're paying for a high speed internet connection... you're likely not particularly worried about affording a cell or land line phone plan.

I disguarded my land line over 3 years ago. If you want a job, you better be able to take a call 24/7, during this recession. There are plans however that you can pool at least 5 people where each person pays around $35. Even if you can't do it with family, you sure as hell can pool 5 Friends together.

Having said that, teens today really don't know the meaning of work! I have a nephew that his mother has told him "work, or get the hell out and freeload off of your Friends". When he works for me, he's a pretty damn good hand. Showing up seems to be his problem. I had him here on the Ranch for a lot of chores I just don't have time to do. I pay him $10/hr. Pretty good for a kid 18 years old with no bills. He's shown up for 14 hrs in the last week!

Kids nowadays have been brought up to live without responsibility. His parents have let him get away with all kinds of shit, including stealing their car, taking it for a ride with his buds, get pulled over, bail him out, and let him off with nothing more than taking his cell phone away for a week. My dad would more than likely blacked both my eyes without getting arrested for abuse! The welfare state has made it nearly impossible to discipline our kids without fear of arrest!

This kid needs his ass kicked and many others just like him! Liberals being the culprits on BOTH sides of this issue are to blame. IMHO!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!