Author Topic: Feds cut rate 3/4 of a point in emergency move  (Read 4106 times)

Offline jtyangel

Feds cut rate 3/4 of a point in emergency move
« on: January 22, 2008, 07:58:16 AM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=ak1KitW7I_4s&refer=home

an. 22 (Bloomberg) -- The Federal Reserve lowered its benchmark interest rate in an emergency move for the first time since 2001 after stock markets tumbled from Hong Kong to London and a jump in the U.S. unemployment rate threatened to push the economy into recession.

The central bank lowered the target overnight lending rate to 3.5 percent from 4.25 percent, the Federal Open Market Committee said in a statement in Washington. Policy makers weren't scheduled to gather on rates until Jan. 29-30.

``While strains in short-term funding markets have eased somewhat, broader financial market conditions have continued to deteriorate,'' the Fed said in a statement in Washington. The FOMC took the action ``in view of a weakening of the economic outlook and increasing downside risks to growth.''

Futures right now have DOW down at almost 400 points. Things are crazy over at my other half's desk that trades in short term securities.

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Feds cut rate 3/4 of a point in emergency move
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 08:05:48 AM »
I knew when democrats took control of the US purse strings last January this was in the cards.  Stock markets hate US democrats.  Democrats make for a very unstable private sector.

You can look for at least another 1/4 point cut in the near future.   

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 08:21:57 AM »
I knew when democrats took control of the US purse strings last January this was in the cards.  Stock markets hate US democrats.  Democrats make for a very unstable private sector.

You can look for at least another 1/4 point cut in the near future.   

Less then 10 minutes until open. Futures down about 425 points. yippeee....DU is climaxing no doubt.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 05:13:26 PM »
I'm impressed with the Fed's quick reaction to this.

Let's hope it does it's job.[the cut, that is]

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 05:14:09 PM »
On the flip side, it would have been nicer if he was pro-active and not reactionary.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 05:14:36 PM »

It is the wrong thing to do, even for the right reasons.  I am all for lowering interest rates under the right circumstances but the downstream effect will not be fun.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 06:24:10 PM »

It is the wrong thing to do, even for the right reasons.  I am all for lowering interest rates under the right circumstances but the downstream effect will not be fun.

yep, now this will just take longer.

can they never just let things correct themselves? it would have worked just beautifully.. but no.. the govt thinks they can 'fix' this.

God help us if Hillary gets in and enacts, "not one more dime on my mortgage!" day and see how fast she tanks the country..