Author Topic: Black Monday (January 21, 2008)  (Read 14012 times)

Offline Lauri

Re: Black Monday (January 21, 2008)
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 11:56:28 AM »
I hope to God the money I have invested for my college fund will survive this.   Otherwise, I'm screwed.   I called my mother (she controls it) and she had BETTER return my phone call soon.   :banghead:

It doesn't matter.  Leave it alone.  It will go back up.  It always has.  It always will.  The key is to not pull out and take your lose because you fear of losing more.  Hang in there and you won't lose a thing. 

agreed...

Lauren, stocks are for long term... not typically short term, issues. If you are using it for college, you might be better off in a safer area like mutual funds. But dont let this hiccup freak you out. It's an election year and the Dems and the media are beating this drum loudly to make it seem like the GOP is dragging us down the toilet.

When in fact, its the Dems who have affected this economy in much more profound way that they dont seem to realize.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 12:14:47 PM »
Hell, I thought this thread was about MLK day. :naughty:
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline guest

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 12:37:51 PM »
I hope to God the money I have invested for my college fund will survive this.   Otherwise, I'm screwed.   I called my mother (she controls it) and she had BETTER return my phone call soon.   :banghead:

It is dumb things like this that screw things up.  The ONLY way you should be investing is for the long haul (5+ years) -- and I GUARANTEE it will go up. If you "invest" for a sorter horizon go to the race track: you'll have better odds.

I wasn't actually planning on pulling the money out. :whatever:  I in no way even IMPLIED that's what I was going to do.  :banghead:  I was merely going to ask my mom's opinion on the situation, and whether or not the money should be completely moved over to mutual funds (it's a mix right now).

I freaked out because a friend of mine woke me up this morning freaking out about it.  (remind me to block that person from calling my cell-phone so early, when my mind isn't quite awake yet.)   

I've been keeping track of the stock market via my cell-phone, so my fears have gone away...for now.

It would be nice to give up the Internet so I wouldn't have to read all these news articles (the doom and gloom crap is always in my face), but school, and life in general, do not permit that.    I know the Dems and their panicking over the housing market have caused a lot of turmoil. 

Another edit:  I also freaked out because of the fantasy stock market I play in.  I have a lot "invested" there, and that game has become an obsession.   :lmao:   So far, I'm the only one who has maintained a positive earning percentage.  :tongue:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 12:52:07 PM by ACrazyConservative »

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 04:38:50 PM »
Hell, I thought this thread was about MLK day. :naughty:

You are a day late and a dollar short.

Offline Atlas

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Veritas Aequitas
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 06:44:55 PM »
Back off the ledge, oh ye of little faith

Tokyo stocks open sharply higher, Nikkei gains more than 400 points+

Jan 22 07:20 PM US/Eastern         

TOKYO, Jan. 23 (AP) - (Kyodo)—Tokyo stocks opened sharply higher Wednesday, with the Nikkei index gaining more than 400 points after the previous day's sharp fall.

At 9:14 a.m., the 225-issue Nikkei Stock Average stood at 13,001.05, up 430.56 points, or 3.42 percent from the previous day. On Tuesday, the benchmark index lost 752.89 points to end at 12,572.68.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8UB8HLG0&show_article=1&catnum=2