Author Topic: Ridiculously Easy - Delightfully Delicious Dessert  (Read 2741 times)

Offline debk

Ridiculously Easy - Delightfully Delicious Dessert
« on: September 08, 2011, 03:41:25 AM »
I'm sure there are many of you who make this, but I found a recipe the other night on one of the very few sites my work computer allows me to visit. (this was on the local NBC affliate station that we can see for local news) They have someone come cook during the noon news almost every day and then post the recipes. This is supposed to be with peaches and angel food cake, different pudding and flavoring...but it's really good and not near as "sticky sweet" as I thought it would be.

2 lemon pound cakes (I find them in the produce dept near the strawberries)
2 large containers strawberries (cut up to desired size)
1 box instant vanilla pudding
1 can Eagle Brand evaporated milk
1 cup 2% milk
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1- 8oz container Cool Whip (thawed)

Whisk together pudding, EB milk, milk, vanilla. Refrigerate while slicing pound cake into 1/4" slices and cutting up strawberries. (I put a paper towel in the bottom of bowl that I put the strawberries in to absorb any water from rinsing them). Carefully fold in the Cool Whip to the pudding mix. (it tastes will taste over the top sweet)

In a lasagna dish, place a layer of cake, cover with half the pudding/cool whip stuff, then cover with all the strawberries. Add another layer of cake, and cover with rest of pudding/cool whip stuff. If you have a cover other than foil, cover and refrigerate at least 4 or 5 hours before serving.

It will cut nicely into squares after chilling for several hours. Can cover with foil after the topping is completely set.

It would look prettier with extra strawberrries and whip cream added on top at time of serving, but it's great without. Surprisingly, it is not overly sweet or heavy...I guess because the cake is not frosted and I didn't add any sugar to the strawberries. I made this Monday afternoon, and we are still eating it, and it is not the least bit soggy which also surprised me.

Original recipe called for angel food cake (said to freeze cake before slicing), peaches, french vanilla pudding and  1 tsp almond extract instead of vanilla.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline JakeStyle

Re: Ridiculously Easy - Delightfully Delicious Dessert
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 03:53:55 AM »
That sounds really good!  I am a big fan of lemon pound cake however it is served.  I also love lemon bars, lemon meringue pie, and any other lemon desert that kinda makes you squint your eyes when you eat it!  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 03:59:24 AM by JakeStyle »

Offline debk

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 04:19:04 AM »
That sounds really good!  I am a big fan of lemon pound cake however it is served.  I also love lemon bars, lemon meringue pie, and any other lemon desert that kinda makes you squint your eyes when you eat it!  

Me too.

These are the best lemon squares I have ever made or tasted!!! Only recipe I will use now, since I got her cookbook several years ago.....
http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/lemon_bars/
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 08:06:05 AM »
That looks tasty. :drool:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline shadeaux

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 11:06:52 PM »
Thank you for the lemon bar link. My husband will love that.

Offline debk

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 03:32:19 PM »
Thank you for the lemon bar link. My husband will love that.

They are sooooo good. I'm a Paula Deen fan, and have made several of her desserts and breads and they have all been delicious.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 03:54:37 PM »
They are sooooo good. I'm a Paula Deen fan, and have made several of her desserts and breads and they have all been delicious.

Have you ever made the krispy kreme bread pudding?

I use her recipe for squash casserole.  And tomato pie.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 05:23:50 PM »

I use her recipe for squash casserole.  And tomato pie.

No...I saw it and thought it would be toooooo sweet.

I make bread pudding using Italian pannettone and it's incredible.  :drool:

I have made her ooey gooey butter cake, using different cake mixes and adding to the fillings and it is  :drool: . Must be a gazillion calories in each bite, but it's so good, who cares?  :-)

Offline shadeaux

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 09:15:47 PM »
Paula Deen is a goddess.  I don't care how much butter she uses.  I like butter.   :-)

That snooty old dude talked bad about Paula.  He ate testicles !!!   My God.  Who cares what he thinks.

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 10:43:03 PM »

I love that recipe!!

I tried it with donuts from a local shop and it was awesome!  :drool:

Also like to use stale french bread. Between the bread pudding, the meringue, and the rum sauce, it is delicious.

Making myself seriously hungry.
Don't get stuck on stupid...

I am of the CauCajun persuasion...  :-)

Leftwing lunatic thought process concerning police: I'm armed with bad breath and body odor. The police are armed with a badge, a tazer, a 9mm, and a shotgun.  I should antagonize them.