Author Topic: Obama May Give Up Effort to Reach Health Deal With Republicans  (Read 980 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Generator  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Fri Aug-21-09 08:55 PM
Original message
Obama May Give Up Effort to Reach Health Deal With Republicans

Halle****inglujah!

Aug. 21 (Bloomberg) -- President Barack Obama is likely next month to end Democratic efforts to work with Republicans on health-care legislation and push for a party-line vote if the stalemate in the U.S. Senate persists, a person close to the White House said.

The president and his advisers have begun devising a legislative strategy to pass a measure by relying only on the Democratic majority in each house of Congress, said the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

In a separate interview, former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle said Obama is losing patience with negotiations between three Democrats and three Republicans on the Senate Finance Committee, the only congressional panel seeking a bipartisan consensus on a plan to remake the nation’s health-care system.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aNTYuAGqbfzIO

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6365795

This could be bad news/ good news.
I'm hoping like hell though that the blue dogs can shut this down.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Re: Obama May Give Up Effort to Reach Health Deal With Republicans
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 08:09:08 PM »
My question is when did Obama start to work with Republicans?
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 08:29:56 PM »
Real game of poker with the future of the country on the line.
If any Republicans try to negotiate we will end up with a system that is 75 % as bad as what the worst case could be.
Left on there own the libs will push the 100% as bad as it could be option and once it is presented in a finalized bill for consideration it can be shown what a disaster it will be with no tie in to Republicans.

I really don`t see a down side of staying firm and opposing anything that doesn`t address the issue of liability in a serious way which of course will never happen with the dems.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 08:35:23 PM »

Never.
Real game of poker with the future of the country on the line.
If any Republicans try to negotiate we will end up with a system that is 75 % as bad as what the worst case could be.
Left on there own the libs will push the 100% as bad as it could be option and once it is presented in a finalized bill for consideration it can be shown what a disaster it will be with no tie in to Republicans.

I really don`t see a down side of staying firm and opposing anything that doesn`t address the issue of liability in a serious way which of course will never happen with the dems.

That should be the one thing that every Republican should stress.  We can't have health care reform without tort reform.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 10:35:35 PM »
What effort?

There was no effort to make a deal unless the deal was vote for it and get pork

Offline Tantal

• Right Wing Hardliner
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 11:04:43 PM »
If they do use the nuclear option, I think the backlash will be enormous in 2010. That's EXACTLY why they're trying to make this look 'bi-partisan'. They know that if the vote goes straight down party lines, with no Republican complicity, that they're screwed come election time. My bet is that a few RINOs blink. Probably Snowe and a few of the other 'moderates'.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 11:41:46 PM by Tantal »
Never demand that which you are incapable of taking by force, DUmmie.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 11:24:52 PM »

Thanks to FReeper Potlatch

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 11:37:41 PM »
I dunno, looks like Snowe is pissed over them trying to do an end run around Senate rules. We haven't seen the Rino's come in line like this since McLame was runnin' for Pres!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Online jukin

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 12:47:10 PM »
There is but one plan and I don't think Obumbler has done anything other than sell like a bad used car salesman.  The one plan is solely a democrat bill as the SHUT OUT all republican input.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 01:07:57 PM »

I missed that part also. Obummer is hell bent in ramming it down our throats.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 01:33:15 PM »
I missed that part also. Obummer is hell bent in ramming it down our throats.

And this statement applies here, and to the Dems:

What goes around, comes around.

We will get our mojo back--and soon.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 02:51:12 PM »
If they do use the nuclear option, I think the backlash will be enormous in 2010. That's EXACTLY why they're trying to make this look 'bi-partisan'. They know that if the vote goes straight down party lines, with no Republican complicity, that they're screwed come election time. My bet is that a few RINOs blink. Probably Snowe and a few of the other 'moderates'.

That was my thought exactly, Tantal.  Off-year elections are notorious for having low voter turnout, and our side has been very energized with all the crap 0bama is trying to push through.  I don't think it'll be an epic turnover like 1994, but you never know.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 03:00:15 PM »
And this statement applies here, and to the Dems:

What goes around, comes around.

We will get our mojo back--and soon.

Provided we do not get wimpy Repubs who want to play nice, compromise, compassionate conservatism and all the rest of the stupidity that got us into this mess in the first place. We need ball busters elected.   

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 03:33:55 PM »
The magic Negro thinks we are holding this up? I dont know why he is waitng he has the votes. I knew all along he wants the republicans on board to share the blame if things go wrong
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
~~~ The late Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 to 2005

Offline ReaganForRushmore

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 05:09:08 PM »
Obama doesn't need the Republicans,remember, the Dems control both houses.......I would step aside, and say have it. Reap what you sow.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 05:41:08 PM »
Provided we do not get wimpy Repubs who want to play nice, compromise, compassionate conservatism and all the rest of the stupidity that got us into this mess in the first place. We need ball busters elected.   

That's it exactly! What we need is reps who have the same philosophy as the members of this site! Then perhaps we actually might return this country to what it once was!

I'm all for re-education camps for DUmbasses! Smoke THAT lurkers! You're always wanting to teach us the ways of the world!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!