Author Topic: Gen. Stanley McChrystal Relieved of Command After Obama Meeting  (Read 2742 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/gen-stanley-mcchrystal-relieved-command-obama-meeting-rolling/story?id=10992188

President Obama   today fired embattled Gen. Stanley McChrystal  from his position as the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, replacing him with General David Petraeus, currently the leader of United States Central Command.

Retired general says McChrystal needs to prove his competence as a commander. McChrystal was relieved of command, multiple sources told ABC News, after a meeting with Obama over disparaging comments about top administration officials in a Rolling Stone article.

The embattled general met President Obama for about 30 minutes this morning and returned to his home in Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C. without attending the national security meeting.

Even before McChrystal's meeting with Obama, the White House had asked the Pentagon for a list of possible replacements, even though administration officials insisted a decision would not come until after McChrystal has made his case to the president.

McChrystal was prepared to resign but did not want to decide until he had met with Obama, a source close to the general said earlier today.

McChrystal admitted during his round of phone calls to top Obama administration officials that he had "compromised the mission," a senior administration source told ABC News.

More at link.....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Re: Gen. Stanley McChrystal Relieved of Command After Obama Meeting
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 12:41:36 PM »
Well now this should be interesting...
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 12:47:22 PM »
RedState is saying that GEN Petraeus is going to assume command.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 12:50:14 PM »
RedState is saying that GEN Petraeus is going to assume command.

This makes no sense.  Gen. Petraeus was his boss.  By taking over for him here...that's a demotion of sorts.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 12:56:05 PM »
This makes no sense.  Gen. Petraeus was his boss.  By taking over for him here...that's a demotion of sorts.

Not taking over the command, but also assuming the duties. Petraeus will still keep his old title and job, too.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 12:59:36 PM »

True, and the fact that he was Bush's choice for theatre commander in Iraq should not sit well with the liberals.......

TRG, is it remotely possible that Obama could not get anyone else to take the job?

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 01:10:05 PM »
   9/20/2007
Senate condemns 'General Betray Us' ad
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2007-09-20-senate-condemn_N.htm

A little bit of history. When the senate voted to condemn the moveon.org ad, Obama did not vote.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 01:26:28 PM »
True, and the fact that he was Bush's choice for theatre commander in Iraq should not sit well with the liberals.......

TRG, is it remotely possible that Obama could not get anyone else to take the job?

doc

I dunno.  The Stars & Stripes article today had a sidebar that listed four possible replacements including his (GEN McChrystal's) Army forces commander LTG William Webster...his deputy Commander LTG David Rodriguez...Marine GEN James Mattis...and GEN Walter "Skip" Sharp who's currently the US/UN Commander in Korea.

No where that I've seen in the last two days even hinted that GEN Petraeus was even being considered.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 02:24:36 PM »

It's the administration trying to cover it's ass.  When Petraeus has his hands tied and the troops come home in a year, the entire region will go to shit.  Then Obumbles will say, "See?  Even the great and mighty General Petraeus couldn't fix the situation!"

****in politicians.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 02:35:42 PM »
It's the administration trying to cover it's ass.  When Petraeus has his hands tied and the troops come home in a year, the entire region will go to shit.  Then Obumbles will say, "See?  Even the great and mighty General Petraeus couldn't fix the situation!"

****in politicians.

And when GEN Petraeus and does what the so called "experts" say can't be done...again...they can take the credit for the success.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 02:40:09 PM »
And when GEN Petraeus and does what the so called "experts" say can't be done...again...they can take the credit for the success.

Yup--putting Petraeus in is a win-win for the administration.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline 5412

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 02:46:16 PM »
Yup--putting Petraeus in is a win-win for the administration.

Hi,

I am not so sure this is a win-win for the administration.  McCrystal said the situation he was in was un-sellable.  If Petraeus fails then McCrystal says, "I told you so!  Even the great General Petraeus could not execute that failed strategy."

I am not so sure that McCrystal does not now have a free reign to speak out.

Also, on Fox news website there was a remark by Obama saying that the civilian control over the military is what democracy is all about.  Thought that was pretty telling about how he feels.  Personally I think Obama is scared shitless of the military because eventually the public will learn he is a fraud and the military might just intervene.

regards,

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 02:59:40 PM »
After the announcement from the Rose Garden (God, that man in the White House is a travesty), I was thinking that yes, GEN Petraeus assumes the duties of his subordinate, but it will be only for a short time - namely only until the media frenzy subsides a little and the next commander in Afghanistan can be named.

One thing is for sure - the next commander won't be making the same mistakes that McChrystal made.

You simply can't be thinking out loud when the press corps is hanging on to your every word, recording and parsing and editing and condemning.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 03:31:58 PM »
I pray for the troops!

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 03:34:17 PM »
And don't be surprised that when the real replacement takes charge...an exit strategy will be laid out.  I heard a talking head yesterday stating "the Afghanistan War is now longer than the Vietnam War...and we need to get out"

Offline thundley4

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 03:41:27 PM »
And don't be surprised that when the real replacement takes charge...an exit strategy will be laid out.  I heard a talking head yesterday stating "the Afghanistan War is now longer than the Vietnam War...and we need to get out"

When or lose, the Afghanistan War is Obama's, his rules, his timeline.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 03:49:02 PM »
I smell a pile of dead rats here.

It is said out of the mouth of Geraldo that this is going to be bad for the reporters, including him and his brother that go embedded with the troop's.  Will this become an excuse to make these men and woman off limits to the troop's high up Brass.?

Interesting as we have little knowledge of the reporter that blew the whistle. It is said he is free lance and not well known.

It was mother that pointed out that this may have become a well orchestrated ploy by Obamas administration to ultimately censor the war news.

Mom and her conspiracy theory's.  But then at her age she has seen it all.

There are Generals up the Ying Yang and perhaps the powers that be found he could be replaced and clamp down on the information the press knows but as responsible reporters do not release to the public.

Was Mc Christal sacrificed in order to control the press and the mounting unrest of the Brass over the War.??

This reporter must have had some credentials and government OK to interview the General and his staff regardless if he was in Paris or on base somewhere.

There has to be a huge story here we will never know of there is just too much here that even on first look is very unusual.

Who is this reporter and how did he get to the General and his Staff.??  

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 03:54:26 PM »
barack dismisses the guy like he's replacing an office administrator. "Hey Kathy, can you swing into my office for a minute?" Don't you think you'd at least want to get his insight at the vaunted "monthly security meeting" before walking him?
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 03:55:45 PM »
barack dismisses the guy like he's replacing an office administrator. "Hey Kathy, can you swing into my office for a minute?" Don't you think you'd at least want to get his insight at the vaunted "monthly security meeting" before walking him?

The monthly meeting was a smokescreen. McChrystal was toast the minute he got the summons to go to Washington.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 03:57:05 PM »

No one disparages the Great ONE.  NO ONE.  His fragile ego is close to shattering.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 03:58:44 PM »
When or lose, the Afghanistan War is Obama's, his rules, his timeline.
I have been doing things outside the past 2 days, so what did  McCrystal say to get obies panties in a wad?

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 04:00:40 PM »
The monthly meeting was a smokescreen. McChrystal was toast the minute he got the summons to go to Washington.

This whole situation reminds of something that would happen if a lieutenant crosses the Godfather.  A call to the office is a death sentence.  Although this was not a typical "hit"...it's thug style politics.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 04:05:25 PM »
This whole situation reminds of something that would happen if a lieutenant crosses the Godfather.  A call to the office is a death sentence.  Although this was not a typical "hit"...it's thug style politics.

More like the Soviet Army.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 05:24:17 PM »
Honest to goodness, it makes me want to  :puke: to think that the flaky, unpatriotic, nay, UNAMERICAN likes of Zero get to determine the final coda in Gen. McChyrstal's career.
I'm so g-damned sick of career politician lording it over the rank and file like feudal lords when they don't know shit and are bound and determined to crush any spark of greatness that could surpass their own (in their own minds of course as they are all full of ****ing dogshit, with apologies to my four mutts).
I'm even more enraged and downright disgusted with the American idiots who voted for this piece of shit.  We've got an asshole who joins in a lawsuit against AZ with the likes of CALDERON and his ****tastic government; an idiot who cuts off the livelihoods of 38,000 Gulf Coast oil workers and countless assorted casualties whilst his government funds a Brazilian deepwater oil dig to the tune of a TWO BILLION dollar loan. 
If I say anything else the powers that be will come haul my ass away.  I don't know why, but this forced resignation of a fine general, handpicked by Zero, on top of the Petraeus appointment, after being degraded as a liar by Zer0, Hillary, BiteMe, Harry Reid and others in a 2007 Congressional hearing is just the last ****ing straw. :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 05:38:17 PM »
You simply can't be thinking out loud when the press corps is hanging on to your every word, recording and parsing and editing and condemning.

Especially when there's ample evidence that the state run propaganda organs are actively collaborating with the same folks you're shooting at.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus