Author Topic: Obama's HHS Secretary Nominee Faces Tax Questions Over Car and Driver  (Read 2680 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour

Bumps in the Road: Obama's HHS Secretary Nominee Faces Tax Questions Over Car and Driver

ABC News has learned that the nomination of former Senator Majority Leader Tom Daschle, D-SD, to be President Obama's Secretary of Health and Human Services has hit a traffic snarl on its way through the Senate Finance Committee.

The controversy deals with a car and driver lent to Mr. Daschle by a wealthy Democratic friend, a chauffer service the former Senator used for years without declaring their use on his taxes.

It remains an open question as to whether this is a "speed bump," as a Democratic Senate ally of Mr. Daschle's put it, or something more damaging.

After being defeated in his 2004 re-election campaign to the Senate, Daschle in 2005 became a consultant and chairman of the Executive Advisory Board at InterMedia Advisors.

Based in New York City, InterMedia Advisors is a private equity firm founded in part by longtime Daschle friend and Democratic fundraiser, Leo Hindery, the former president of the YES network (the Yankees' and Devils' broadcast network).

more

Offline Redstatecka

• Thanks, Dad!
Re: Obama's HHS Secretary Nominee Faces Tax Questions Over Car and Driver
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 06:12:06 PM »
Taxes, schmaxes. Given the tax-related "I made a mistake" travesty with Geithner at Treasury, Daschle should be having his new business cards printed as Secretary of HHS.

BTW: According to a Wall Street Journal blog -- Washington Wire -- posting at 3:50 p.m. EST today
(http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2009/01/30/senators-to-hold-closed-door-meeting-on-daschle-nomination/):

"The Senate Finance Committee will hold a closed-door meeting Monday at 5 p.m. to discuss delayed confirmation hearings for former Sen. Tom Daschle as secretary of Health and Human Services and to go over tax and business matters that have held up his confirmation, Finance Committee aides said.

"The meeting is similar to a closed-door session held to go over issues arising from Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner’s failure to pay some $34,000 in payroll taxes on time. Geithner personally answered questions from committee members and paved the way for his confirmation a little more than a week later.

"The Monday meeting should begin the process of putting Daschle’s confirmation to a vote. He is expected to be confirmed easily once senators get that chance.

"Daschle still faces questions from some Finance Committee Republicans over some minor tax matters and his ties to the education nonprofit lender EduCap, which was already under investigation by the committee when President Barack Obama nominated Daschle for the top health post."

Note: "Minor" tax matters.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 06:14:39 PM by Redstatecka »
"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ! For this very reason, peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity and freedom of worship here." -- Patrick Henry, 1765

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 06:17:53 PM »

it won't matter.  if the guy that is to head up, among other things, the IRS, got confirmed despite the fact that he plead ignorance to tax laws, then the laws of reason have been repealed.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 07:39:27 PM »
it won't matter.  if the guy that is to head up, among other things, the IRS, got confirmed despite the fact that he plead ignorance to tax laws, then the laws of reason have been repealed.

Keep it up and I'll have no choice other than to turn you in to the leaders
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 07:46:24 PM »
Keep it up and I'll have no choice other than to turn you in to the leaders

I hear you.  the entire country, or at least a significant portion of it, is operating on sheer emotion . . . . which is rather immune to logic.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 07:48:37 PM »
Hey Biden said paying taxes was patriotic! Why are all these traitorous bastards getting nominated to cabinet positions... rhetorical question perhaps.  :p
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 07:49:55 PM »
Hey Biden said paying taxes was patriotic! Why are all these traitorous bastards getting nominated to cabinet positions... rhetorical question perhaps.  :p

taxation is theft.  those in favor of theft are thieves.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 07:54:16 PM »
taxation is theft.  those in favor of theft are thieves.

It's legal plunder.
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 08:00:17 PM »
It's legal plunder.

the feds may as well be pirates . . . .

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 08:02:13 PM »
That's it wacko and lady.............I have no other choice than to report you to my closest political officer.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 08:03:14 PM »
That's it wacko and lady.............I have no other choice than to report you to my closest political officer.

and then I shall have no other recourse than to spank you ..... which I would do regardless.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 08:05:27 PM »
and then I shall have no other recourse than to spank you ..... which I would do regardless.

we're in breaking news, guys. :whatever:

it's not like we don't have a ton of other threads for tangents. :uhsure:

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 10:38:53 AM »

ABC News has learned that the nomination of former Senator Majority Leader Tom Daschle, D-S.D., to be President Obama's secretary of health and human services has hit a traffic snarl on its way through the Senate Finance Committee.

The controversy deals with a car and driver lent to Daschle by a wealthy Democratic friend -- a chauffeur service the former senator used for years without declaring it on his taxes.

It remains an open question as to whether this is a "speed bump," as a Democratic Senate ally of Daschle put it, or something more damaging.

After being defeated in his 2004 re-election campaign to the Senate, Daschle in 2005 became a consultant and chairman of the executive advisory board at InterMedia Advisors.

Based in New York City, InterMedia Advisors is a private equity firm founded in part by longtime Daschle friend and Democratic fundraiser Leo Hindery, the former president of the YES network (the New York Yankees' and New Jersey Devils' cable television channel).

That same year he began his professional relationship with InterMedia, Daschle began using the services of Hindery's car and driver.

The Cadillac and driver were never part of Daschle's official compensation package at InterMedia, but Mr. Daschle -- who as Senate majority leader enjoyed the use of a car and driver at taxpayer expense -- didn't declare their services on his income taxes, as tax laws require.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/01/bumps-in-the-ro.html
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 10:40:15 AM »
Liberals don't have to pay taxes because they actually CARE about the poor and that's enough.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 11:44:42 AM »
I like this quote found by a hotair.com poster, it is too good to check.  :-)

In a speech to his fellow Republican House members, Rep. Eric Cantor, R-Va., compared Daschle’s issue with the tax problems that hindered the confirmation of Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and those of Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., who is embroiled in a controversy over payment of taxes on a beachfront villa in the Dominican Republic.

“A pattern is developing,” Cantor said. “The pattern is solidified. … It’s easy for the other side to sit here and advocate higher taxes because — you know what? — they don’t pay them.”

Finally.

moxie_neanderthal on January 30, 2009 at 10:07 PM

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/01/30/new-obama-tax-evasion-scandal-tom-daschle/comment-page-2/#comments

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 12:12:42 PM »
Report: Daschle Received $220G From Health Care Groups With Vested Interest
Sen. Tom Daschle, President Obama's nominee to head the Department of Health and Human Services, reportedly received $220,000 in speaking fees from health care groups with a vested interest in the work he would do once confirmed as health chief. 
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01/30/white-house-daschle-tax-issues-shouldnt-bar-cabinet-confirmation/

Corruptocrat alert.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 02:54:32 PM »
Ole Tom owed $128,000 tax for the multiple use of the Car and chauffer. We know ZIP would have been paid if he were not on the list for a Cabnet Post. Here a man who needs to be told, now you've paid your tax, now go home. Don't call us, we won't call you.

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 03:52:24 PM »

How dare you question their patriotism!?
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 04:46:09 PM »
What was that about a "Culture of Corruption">
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 05:28:58 PM »
What was that about a "Culture of Corruption">

That's just in regards to Republicans

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 05:33:18 PM »
Obama 2012 campaign ad:

"Thanks to Obama, numerous tax evaders were brought forth and made to pay their arrearages.

"Barack--no middle name--Obama: working for the American people."
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 05:54:23 PM »
Ole Tom owed $128,000 tax for the multiple use of the Car and chauffer. We know ZIP would have been paid if he were not on the list for a Cabnet Post. Here a man who needs to be told, now you've paid your tax, now go home. Don't call us, we won't call you.

Or alternately, "Pay your tax, and go to Florence (CO), because that's what would happen if you weren't a former US Senator."
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2009, 07:45:33 PM »

How dare you question their patriotism!?

Yeah, they do love taxes, .... they love the revenue from other's, not their own. Socialized medicine will be another thing that they will exempt themselves from.... seeing a pattern here, I am sure an articulate liberal will clue me in as to why this is a good thing.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2009, 07:49:54 PM »
That's just in regards to Republicans

democrats aren't corrupt -- just "forgetful."
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.