Author Topic: internet service  (Read 4513 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
internet service
« on: August 18, 2008, 04:20:57 PM »
There's something that's been happening a lot lately, and I'm now wondering if the problem might be with this computer.

I use wireless internet service; it's the only thing available where I live, because of distances, and I am on the very uttermost fringe, edge, of their service area.

Once in a while, the internet cuts off; the page stays up and all that, but one can't go anywhere.

This usually lasts for 5 or 10 seconds, and then things are off and running again.

Originally, I used to think there was something wrong with this computer, until I started checking Outlook Express for e-mails when the internet stopped.  Outlook Express did not go anywhere either, at the same time.

But then on the lower left-hand of the screen in Outlook Express indicated it was "receiving mail" or "no new messages," I popped back to the internet, and the internet was working too.

So I figured it had to be the source of the service, not this computer. 

And there does seem to be a co-relation between the weather in southern Minnesota, and in western Utah, and the service here.  Those are where the internet service provider originates, and I assume since it's wireless, it is affected by climatic and atmospheric conditions.

Also, such 5- or 10-second outages seem to occur between 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. central time, every day.  It happens at other times too, but only negligibly.  Nearly all the time it happens only then.

I'm 99% confident it's the internet service provider, and not this computer, but would like to know--is there something I should check on this computer, to be sure?

I suppose I could go to the big city and talk with the people there.  The problem is, while they're very nice people and all that, they're difficult to "read," and I've had rather too much of that Ordeal lately.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: internet service
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 04:36:45 PM »
If it's predictable and happens on a regular basis, it may be your ISP.  My connection slows down when all the little booger-eaters get home from school and get online.  I have had my cable internet service go out during high-TV-use periods (the Super Bowl). 
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 05:03:28 PM »
Run a virus scan. Something like Spybot S&D.

ZLOB.DNSchanger is making the rounds again.  It will lock your browser temporarily.

Unfortunately it is also a bitch to get rid off.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 05:15:49 PM »
If it's predictable and happens on a regular basis, it may be your ISP.  My connection slows down when all the little booger-eaters get home from school and get online.  I have had my cable internet service go out during high-TV-use periods (the Super Bowl). 

ROFL! Booger eaters! We have them here too. Little snotty-nosed crumb crushers clog up my interwebs.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 05:23:22 PM »

ROFL! Booger eaters! We have them here too. Little snotty-nosed crumb crushers clog up my interwebs.

:rotf:

But yeah, the virus or spyware thing is entirely possible.  I'm not the best at sorting out ISP issues... there are other people here a lot better at it than I am.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 05:38:24 PM »
TCP/IP and Networking Tools http://commandwindows.com/tcpiputil.htm

Windows XP has a whole array of helpful command line tools for configuring and testing Internet and LAN connections. On this page is a discussion of some of the networking tools that can be useful to an average PC user.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 05:47:13 PM »
http://pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp is a good place to use. They run a series of tests on your computer and internet connection.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 05:51:53 PM »
http://pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp is a good place to use. They run a series of tests on your computer and internet connection.

I like their tests and all but the software they try to pawn off on you is BS. Can get better software and for free at many other places.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 09:12:35 AM »
Yeah, I stay away from the software they peddle, but I do like the indepth scans that they run.  Another good  program to find what's running on a computer is  Belarc Advisor. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 10:47:30 AM »

Video doesn't affect data........ they are on way different frequencies. That said, it COULD be that those watching the Superbowl are surfing the net at the same time (or their little rug rats are). There ARE several other things that could be affecting the data stream bandwidth, though, especially on the return path.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 01:19:39 PM »
Frank..Is your wireless satellite? If so, the weather will affect it..I have a choice here(DSL(which sux)or satellite wireless(which sux more))
I'd keep a record of the outages, for a couple of weeks and see if they correspond to the weather...
When I was workin the Help-desk, most of our stores were on satellite connections...outages due to weather was a nightly occurrence.
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 03:17:35 PM »
Frank..Is your wireless satellite? If so, the weather will affect it..I have a choice here(DSL(which sux)or satellite wireless(which sux more))
I'd keep a record of the outages, for a couple of weeks and see if they correspond to the weather...
When I was workin the Help-desk, most of our stores were on satellite connections...outages due to weather was a nightly occurrence.

Now, remember, Ree, dear, it might not be the weather in your specific area.

The weather in southern Minnesota and western Utah affects service here in the Sandhills.

One time after I got this internet service provider, there was some sort of problem, and all customers were sent a message attributing it to something up there in Minnesota.  So after that, I started watching the weather in southern Minnesota, and noticed a co-relation between outages here, and tumultuous weather up there.

Every time.

I tried this with other areas of the country, and it took a long time, but there is a co-relation between outages here, and tumultuous weather in western Utah.

Every time.

The computer guys in the big city say we're served out of something in western Utah, too, confirming my suspicions.  They told me the what, how, and why, but it got too technical for me to absorb.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 12:08:42 PM »
Frank, you MIGHT try this little "tweak". http://cable-dsl.navasgroup.com/

Select the one for your version of Windows.

What service are you using?? Sunspots and solar flares will affect ANY radio frequency transmissions, especially satellite.  We've had a tough couple of years with solar flares and it's even been alleged that they may be the primary cause of some of our "global warming".
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson