Author Topic: Legless frogs mystery solved  (Read 1355 times)

Offline thundley4

Legless frogs mystery solved
« on: June 26, 2009, 01:14:40 PM »
Scientists think they have resolved one of the most controversial environmental issues of the past decade: the curious case of the missing frogs' legs.
Around the world, frogs are found with missing or misshaped limbs, a striking deformity that many researchers believe is caused by chemical pollution.
However, tests on frogs and toads have revealed a more natural, benign cause.
The deformed frogs are actually victims of the predatory habits of dragonfly nymphs, which eat the legs of tadpoles.
In the late 1980s and early 1990s, researchers started getting reports of numerous wild frogs or toads being found with extra legs or arms, or with limbs that were partly formed or missing completely.
*snip*
"There was a veritable media firestorm, with millions of dollars of grant money at stake."
After a long period of research, Sessions and other researchers established that many amphibians with extra limbs were actually infected by small parasitic flatworms called Riberoria trematodes.
BBC

Now if only they can find all those bees that disappeared.

Oh wait.
Asian Parasite Killing Western Bees - Scientist
The culprit is a microscopic parasite called nosema ceranae said Mariano Higes, who leads a team of researchers at a government-funded apiculture centre in Guadalajara, the province east of Madrid that is the heartland of Spain's honey industry.
Link

I guess that's why these stories dropped from the news.  They couldn't blame it on us or our pollution, so it's no longer a crisis.  :uhsure:

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: Legless frogs mystery solved
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 01:48:13 PM »
So it was nothing more than the circle of life in motion? :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 02:36:46 PM »
So it was nothing more than the circle of the toilet in motion? :-)

Fixed!!!!     :-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 10:43:13 PM »
Around the world, frogs are found with missing or misshaped limbs, a striking deformity that many researchers believe is caused by chemical pollution.
However, tests on frogs and toads have revealed a more natural, benign cause.
The deformed frogs are actually victims of the predatory habits of dragonfly nymphs, which eat the legs of tadpoles.

Hey, look!  Lucy (facts) yanked the football away from Charlie Brown (environuts) again.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 11:30:34 PM »
... and french chefs everywhere rejoiced.

I like me some frog legs.  They taste like chicken.  Escargot is not bad if done right.  Tastes like steak.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.