Author Topic: 1981 Honda CB750C Custom  (Read 20914 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: 1981 Honda CB750C Custom
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2008, 01:55:10 PM »
Dammit!   :censored:  They don't fit.

Oh well.  Maybe I can re-sell them and at least break even.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2008, 09:17:01 PM »
I found a guy in Norcross parting out three '81 750 Custom(s).  I'm going down there on Thursday to pick up the right parts.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2008, 10:15:07 AM »
What, you coulden't just drill bigger holes?      :tongue:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2008, 12:42:22 PM »
New cable installed.  The clutch works.   :cheersmate:

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2008, 03:58:40 PM »
Both calipers have been cleaned, rebuilt, and reinstalled.   :cheersmate:

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2008, 06:38:41 PM »
Get the brakes bled and take it for a ride.  I'll try to get that done tomorrow.   :hyper:

I will probably have to rebuid the master cylinder again.  I left off a small piece that has been laying on my keyboard the entire time and I'm concerned the brakes might fail without it.  And there is the possibility that my JB-weld job could leak, but I doubt that.  I will eventually replace them with an OEM set to go with some new stainless steel hoses.  They sit at an angle, because of the handlebards the idiotic PO put on -- I like them, but they don't go with the master cylinder.  The clutch drags a little, but I'm not sure if that's normal or it if just needs to be adjusted. 

Still got to deal with wiring.  I found a couple of connectors under the brake lever that I missed before.  Maybe that's the source of my blinker problem.  And tags, title, and registration so I can put it on the road.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2008, 10:33:18 AM »
Sounds like your'e doing it the right way, nice and careful.  :cheersmate:

As a sidenote, a drywall contractor came by the house last week to look at some work that STILL needs to be done to "finish" our remodel from 2006!
He rode up on a 1998 Honda 1100 CBR XX Blackbird.
 I AM IN LOVE, and not with the guy, the bike. It's got to be one of the the most awesome sportbikes I've ever seen.
Get this, he paid 3k for it!!!!

BASTAGE!!!!   :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CBR1100XX
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2008, 02:29:28 PM »
w000!! :hyper:

Got the master cylinder completely rebuilt last weekend, but could not get the calipers bled worth a damn.  Turns out there was some air leaking around the bleeder screw(s).  A few layers of teflon tape on the threads did the trick.  After that, I got them bled in about 20 minutes.  They work!

After getting the front brakes done, turns out that the front forks need to be re-done as well.  They're pretty mushy and don't respond... they go down and mostly stay down when you put any weight on the front end.  Looks like that will be the next thing I need to do, on top of checking to see if the charging system is functioning.  I took the battery out about a month ago and plugged it up to a trickle charger so it wouldn't die sitting out there.  It's a PITA putting it back in.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2008, 06:18:44 PM »
Not sure.  I may try to do them myself.  If I can't, I'll send it to the same dealership that I've been using since high school.  Either way, it will probably be a couple weeks before it's done.  There are only a couple parts to the forks... a dust cap, a seal, a large spring, and a lot of fluid.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2008, 04:34:32 PM »
It shoulden't be too hard to do yourself. I did the seals on my 83 SECA 900 several times.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2008, 06:21:10 PM »
It shoulden't be too hard to do yourself. I did the seals on my 83 SECA 900 several times.

I'm reading the shop manual for the bike, and it says there should only be 5.5 oz of fluid in each fork stem.  That doesn't sound like a lot.  I'm planning on changing the fluid out tomorrow, but if it doesn't improve, I'll have to take them apart and check the springs.  I didn't see any grease or smearing that would indicate a leaking seal.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
It's a wonderful sport-tourer  :cheersmate:  They tend to go pretty cheap too, you should get one :uhsure: you need one :-)

Yes, yes I do.
Get this...........my wife LOVED the bike.  :hyper:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2008, 02:41:44 PM »
I'm reading the shop manual for the bike, and it says there should only be 5.5 oz of fluid in each fork stem.  That doesn't sound like a lot.  I'm planning on changing the fluid out tomorrow, but if it doesn't improve, I'll have to take them apart and check the springs.  I didn't see any grease or smearing that would indicate a leaking seal.

If the springs are bad, try getting a set of progressives (if available). Makes a big difference.

Are they air/oil? Mine were and if the pressure (air) was down they would be very mushy.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2008, 08:05:34 PM »
They are oil-filled.  They're bottomed out all the way now.  I think the springs may be bad.

Damn thing wouldn't start yesterday.  :bawl:  I hope I just managed to run down the battery and the gas tank. :(

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2008, 04:21:02 PM »

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2009, 08:19:50 AM »
So is it going to be ready come Spring?