Author Topic: question about side curtain airbag cover (Sienna van)  (Read 3681 times)

Offline Jim

question about side curtain airbag cover (Sienna van)
« on: June 16, 2008, 11:22:55 AM »
the vinyl covering the cover has become unglued and is peeling back so I need to get it glued back down.  trouble is I'm not sure how to go about pulling the cover back to get access.  I'm afraid I'll set the inflator off or otherwise damage it if I just pry it back.

any ideas ?
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
Re: question about side curtain airbag cover (Sienna van)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 03:54:17 PM »
#1 rule regarding airbags: bring it to the dealership
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Jim

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 07:05:33 PM »
#1 rule regarding airbags: bring it to the dealership

sounds expensive !   I'm painfully cheap.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 09:42:08 AM »
Often times the cover is actually part of the air bag assembly.

I agree with RightCoast, or you could check with a local collision repair facility.

Do not, and I mean do not, ever buy a used air bag....or let an insurance adjuster talk you into one. (This is just an FYI for all our viewers) If this would happen, contact me and I will guide you through the process to obtain a proper repair.

(GM certified collision shop manager, certified auto damage appraiser, and DuPont certified auto re-finisher)

Offline Jim

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 10:25:24 AM »

I agree with RightCoast, or you could check with a local collision repair facility.

Do not, and I mean do not, ever buy a used air bag....or let an insurance adjuster talk you into one. (This is just an FYI for all our viewers) If this would happen, contact me and I will guide you through the process to obtain a proper repair.

(GM certified collision shop manager, certified auto damage appraiser, and DuPont certified auto re-finisher)

I was afraid that the cover was integrated into the airbag mechanism.  That likely makes it unworkable even if I pull the interior door panel off.

Farts !

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 10:27:35 AM »

I was afraid that the cover was integrated into the airbag mechanism.  That likely makes it unworkable even if I pull the interior door panel off.

Farts !

It's like working for the bomb squad if you are not fully familiar with the SIR system.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 04:06:36 PM »
It's liable to still be under warranty. The airbag system being safety related is something they won't scrimp or argue on.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 04:15:47 PM »
It's liable to still be under warranty. The airbag system being safety related is something they won't scrimp or argue on.

Very good point.

Or the dealership might have a special fix for a "known problem" and alot of times there is no charge!

Offline Jim

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 11:09:17 AM »

Very good point.

Or the dealership might have a special fix for a "known problem" and alot of times there is no charge!

2001, I don't think there is any warantee left.  Not really sure glue coming unstuck would qualify.

But it doesn't hurt to ask.

thanks

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 01:07:23 PM »

Very good point.

2001, I don't think there is any warantee left.  Not really sure glue coming unstuck would qualify.

thanks

If it's a common problem, they might have a low cost fix.....you never know until you ask!

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 07:34:56 PM »

Very good point.

thanks

Call into a dealership and talk to a service advisor.  They'll let you know if it's a common problem or a super expensive problem. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 03:54:30 AM »
I would stop in. You might get more attention in person, especially when you start telling people in the waiting room that your air bag is falling out and it looks like they are driving the same exact model of van.....

Make sure you let them know that you are afraid the bag is about to blow at any time.....and be sorta loud so the other customers hear you!

Offline Jim

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 09:56:53 AM »
I would stop in. You might get more attention in person, especially when you start telling people in the waiting room that your air bag is falling out and it looks like they are driving the same exact model of van.....

Make sure you let them know that you are afraid the bag is about to blow at any time.....and be sorta loud so the other customers hear you!

a trick I learned a long time ago that works great

I happen to have a neighbor who is a Toyota dealer mechanic who I need to see about an unrelated matter but he's been kinda busy with baseball and softball with his kids.  that should be easing up, I'll see how he can advise me.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 06:31:37 PM »

Once in our waiting room....this was a huge dealership....an old man was asking people if they wanted to see a picture of his daughter.....it was a picture of her in a casket after her death.......then he started to tell everyone she died because of those ABS brakes.......all of a sudden we had a ton of people wanting us to check their brakes.......the co-owner of the dealership asked him to leave, as his oil change had been done hours ago and he was "just hanging out"

a trick I learned a long time ago that works great

I happen to have a neighbor who is a Toyota dealer mechanic who I need to see about an unrelated matter but he's been kinda busy with baseball and softball with his kids.  that should be easing up, I'll see how he can advise me.