Author Topic: Need SUV Advise  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Scoobie

Need SUV Advise
« on: November 16, 2008, 11:43:52 AM »

Ok. So I currently own a Honda CRV (I know, who doesn't these days.). The old girl is getting up there in mileage (2000 year with 128K). Me and the hubby have been talking about trading it in for something else while there is still some value left in it, before major things start going wrong.

I want to stay with an SUV type of truck (convenient with kids, the Chocolate Lab, hauling/moving stuff), and would love to have a fullsize SUV, but we just can't afford that right now (especially since my boss told us Friday that we may have to start cutting back some hours). So I've been looking at the mid-size range, and stumbled upon the Dodge Nitro, which has greatly piqued my interest for some reason. It has all the qualities I'm looking for (big cargo, 4-wheel drive, good handling, decent gas mileage), but I'm a little hesitant because I had a Dodge before that was, well, basically the car from hell, although it was a sedan, not an SUV.

Has anyone had any experience with the Nitro? I'm interested in any and all information offered, or any other SUV suggestions y'all might have.

This is what it looks like:

When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expressing -- then we truly live life.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Need SUV Advise
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 12:07:51 PM »
The Dodge Nitro and the Jeep Compass are the same vehicle, and I think the Compass has more interior room and generally gets better reviews.  Plus, Chrysler has that new lifetime powertrain warranty.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 12:46:22 PM »
I would think big, huge SUVs can be had pretty inexpensively (despite the very recent fall in oil/gas prices).
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 12:55:27 PM »
The Compass is about $3000 cheaper than the Nitro and gets better MPG.   You can probably get a used one for a steal.

http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/default.aspx?c=0&n=3&i=0&tb=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&dt=0&v=t105812&v=t105797

MSN Autos is an excellent site for comparing cars.  I use it all the time (for window shopping :p).
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.