Author Topic: GM axes Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
GM axes Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky
« on: September 02, 2008, 03:20:57 PM »
GMI Exclusive: Kappa II Platform Axed From R&D
It is no secret by now that General Motors has been shaking up its product programs left and right. We first heard of the slashing of the Buick Zeta car, apparent death of the Cadillac Zeta car, and the impending death of a couple GMC product programs. Now GMI is hearing that the Kappa II program, successor to the current lineup of Kappa roadsters, has been pulled from the product plans. The reasons for all of these changes are obvious; uncertain gas prices, an uneasy economy, poor financial situation within the company and an overall product shake up are just a few reasons.

The Kappa line of products makes the "cut" bill rather easily. GMI has been told that when the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky came to the market, GM was losing around $10,000 per unit built. Needless to say, that is not a money-making product line by any stretch of the imagination. It is not entirely surprising that Kappa has been a money pit of a product program. From the ground up Kappa cars are costly; starting with the frame no less. The Kappa architecture is hydroformed as part of the fabrication process to achieve the dimensions and frame rails needed. Many of the body panels (namely the hood, deck-lid, and fenders) are hydroformed as well. Hydra-forming is a costly fabrication method, particularly for vehicles that have such low starting prices and low volume to boot. Add on the fact that the Kappa vehicles are largely “hand built” cars (at least by today’s standards); it becomes quite evident why GM will likely never get a return on investment with the Kappa products.

That Chevy Cruze better be a nice damn car.  :whatever:

:bird: :censored:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
  • Yes, everything you heard about me is true
Re: GM axes Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 12:39:49 PM »
I have been a GM fan all of my life. I have been a hard core Chevy guy for years. I never miss a chance to trash Ford or Chrysler but I absolutely despair of GM ever coming out with a new 'interesting' car again. I thought the Solstice was butt ugly but really liked the looks of the Sky.

Losing $10,000.00 per unit?! What brainiac set up that pricing structure? But no doubt the union guys are still getting $25 an hour to install bumpers.

I understand that auto manufacturers are in business to make cars that make money for their shareholders. They have no obligation to car enthusiasts like me, nope, none at all. BUT that goes both ways. If they decide to turn out ugly boring crap, need I say of the Prius variety, then I wont feel bad about buying non-GM cars...oh wait, I just did that....

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell