Author Topic: Anyone ever go surffishing? or fish with tossed nets?  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Mr Mannn

Anyone ever go surffishing? or fish with tossed nets?
« on: December 25, 2011, 05:48:08 PM »
I always have a fantasy of escaping to Hawaii and living in the wilds if I ever lose my job.
(hint, buy a two way ticket or the local authorities will come looking for you)
I always wondered about fish that swam close to shore, if they are even big enough.
But I do see people fishing from California piers every day...I guess it can't be that bad.

and I would love to have the skill to toss a weighted net and catch fish that way.

Hmmm. and I'm gonna need to know how to process sea salt...it will likely be my only seasoning.

Eating a seagull is probably an invitation to get sick...rats of the sea. But boiled crab might work.

anyways anyone out there actually catch anything surf fishing? What did you catch? what was the bait?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Anyone ever go surffishing? or fish with tossed nets?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 05:50:44 PM »
You might want to check state law on net fishing.  It might not be a good idea.

Sea salt looks pretty easy... run it throgh a filter to get the floaties out and spread it outside in the sun to evaporate.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 05:56:53 PM »
My brother caught a bunch of crab in the Atlantic with some rented traps and raw chicken.  We boiled it up and et it... it was tasty.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 10:24:20 AM »
I always have a fantasy of escaping to Hawaii and living in the wilds if I ever lose my job.
(hint, buy a two way ticket or the local authorities will come looking for you)
I always wondered about fish that swam close to shore, if they are even big enough.
But I do see people fishing from California piers every day...I guess it can't be that bad.

and I would love to have the skill to toss a weighted net and catch fish that way.

Hmmm. and I'm gonna need to know how to process sea salt...it will likely be my only seasoning.

Eating a seagull is probably an invitation to get sick...rats of the sea. But boiled crab might work.

anyways anyone out there actually catch anything surf fishing? What did you catch? what was the bait?

Having been to Kauai several times, I've watched "natives" free diving (snorkel) to spear fish at Tunnels Beach (any beach/reef is good). The reef there is fairly extensive, sheltered and the fish available for eating is amazing. Many approach 30-40 lbs, or more. There was one in particular that most go for, but I can't remember the name of the fish. It was black with purple stripes.

During the season there are lobsters to be had, but you'll have to fight the octopus's for them. They look like the lobsters you get from Australia.

Here in Cali, I've surf fished for Surf Perch. Mostly using sand fleas or sometimes sardines. The Perch are usually about 20-30 yds off the shore hanging out in depressions in the sand.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 04:25:43 PM »
Me and my son and a river or the ocean= fish!

Yeah that's my son! I just catch the fish and take the pictures!
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 04:43:40 PM »
Nice Steelhead.   :cheersmate:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 08:47:48 PM »
Nice Steelhead.   :cheersmate:

That would look good on my grill, basted in lemon and butter.  Yup.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent