Author Topic: Mia Farrow's Nephew Dies in Iraq -- Uncle Pens Angry Letter to Editor of Vermont  (Read 1473 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator

RamboLiberal  (1000+ posts)       Sun Jun-01-08 03:01 PM
Original message
Mia Farrow's Nephew Dies in Iraq -- Uncle Pens Angry Letter to Editor of Vermont Paper
 Advertisements [?]Edited on Sun Jun-01-08 03:05 PM by RamboLiberal
Source: Editor & Publisher

Sgt. Jason Dene, the nephew of actress and activist Mia Farrow, died in Iraq last week and his uncle blames George W. Bush for the loss. Mia Farrow has written a sad tribute on her site but Dene's uncle, Patrick V. Farrow, took his anger to the Letters section of the Rutland (Vt.) Herald two days ago.

Dene, in his mid-30s and married with children, is yet another in the growing list of "noncombat" fatalities in Iraq. In this case, medical complications appear to be at issue. Patrick Farrow, of Castleton, Vt., writes in his letter, "To date all the family has heard from the Army is that Jason variously died 'in his sleep' and 'in his bunk' and 'in his quarters'' and my favorite 'sleep apnea complicated by smoking cigarettes,' in other words, natural causes."

Whatever the cause, Patrick Farrow feels he knows what really killed his nephew: "Because of the arrogant, corrupt lies of George W. Bush and his neo-con handlers my nephew is dead, and I am mad as hell...Jason Dene was not killed by enemy fire nor friendly fire but by Bush's brutal and cynical stop-loss program."

"Because of Bush's abusive stop-loss policy, Jason had been sent into an unwanted third tour of duty. He was a father of three and could not afford to lose his pension. Some 'volunteer Army'.

"During his three 15-month tours in Iraq, exposure to roadside bombs and other job-related injuries caused Jason to be hospitalized several times for concussion and internal bleeding and other injuries. Recently, Jason's condition was such that the Department of Defense flew him from Iraq to Dover Air Force Base for surgery. He was released from the hospital into the loving arms of the government who sent him directly back into Iraq. He was put on active duty while he was still on a liquid diet, unable to eat solid food because of a throat hemorrhage due to a botched surgery at a military hospital.

Read more: http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_di...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to Patrick Farrow's letter: http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=...

After his second tour Jason returned home with severe mental and physical issues. He was certainly in no condition to be pressed into a third tour. He wanted out of the army. But Jason was a victim of the liar's back-door draft.

The administration knows the war could not continue if the draft was reinstated, hence the criminally deceptive stop-loss program. At all costs, the administration wants to avoid Vietnam-scale student protests. In this case the cost fell on Jason, whose death will not be included as a war casualty. Jason Dene will not be buried at Arlington National Cemetery; he will just sort of ... disappear quietly (they hope).

How many others have died in Iraq of "natural causes," the soldiers we will never hear about?

Because of George Bush, the arrogant, the corrupt, the liar, the war criminal, my nephew is dead and my sister and the rest of my family are devastated.

Yes, I am very, very angry. How would you feel?

dkf  (1000+ posts)      Sun Jun-01-08 03:08 PM
Response to Original message
3. How can we do this to our soldiers. This is beyond conscience.
 This is all W's fault. I surely do hope there is a God who will punish him for his sins.
PDJane  (1000+ posts)       Sun Jun-01-08 03:14 PM
Response to Original message
4. Ill wishing is forbidden.......
 but it's a stricture that's tough to obey at the moment.

I hope these folks get just what they have earned.

link

Offline Dixie*Darling

BDS is a symptom of the cancer that is liberalism.

RIP Sgt. 
Your service is/was genuinely appreciated.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
Bush doesn't have a stop loss policy, the uniformed services do.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop-loss_policy
"Stop-loss was created by the United States Congress after the Vietnam War".

Apparently it was used by President Clinton but no one seemed to care at that time. I wonder why?  :whatever:

R.I.P. Sgt Dene. Thank your for your service and sacrifice. 
:usflag:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
Apparently the cause of death has not been released. I doubt a soldier with sleep apnea would be in a combat area. The "Stop Loss" program is being abused in my opinion. It was designed to prevent the loos of critical people in critical fields until replacements could be trained. It was never intended to be used to return soldiers to combat for as many as 3 or 4 tours. Congress needs to be held accountable and there should be a limit on back to back combat tours and total tours, many of these soldiers must me exhausted.

This experiment in Iraq has gone on long enough, we should be moving in the general direction of reducing the number of boots we have on the ground. If Iran is an issue, deal with them, smack them on the nose good and hard. Mookie Al Sadr should have been dealt with day 1, it is time for him to assume room temperature. Let's wrap this up and get at least some of our people home.C'mon already.

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline MPCOA

• Just Off Probation
Apparently the cause of death has not been released. I doubt a soldier with sleep apnea would be in a combat area. The "Stop Loss" program is being abused in my opinion. It was designed to prevent the loos of critical people in critical fields until replacements could be trained. It was never intended to be used to return soldiers to combat for as many as 3 or 4 tours. Congress needs to be held accountable and there should be a limit on back to back combat tours and total tours, many of these soldiers must me exhausted.

This experiment in Iraq has gone on long enough, we should be moving in the general direction of reducing the number of boots we have on the ground. If Iran is an issue, deal with them, smack them on the nose good and hard. Mookie Al Sadr should have been dealt with day 1, it is time for him to assume room temperature. Let's wrap this up and get at least some of our people home.C'mon already.

IMO you don't know how stop loss actually works.

On this Soldier, I actually know who it was, he wasn't a SGT he was a SFC, he would not have been on "stop loss" he was on an indefinite enlistment of his own choice.

Farrow should let sleeping dogs lie on this one.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 02:08:40 AM by MPCOA »
Don't suffer from PTSD, go out and cause it

Embrace the Hate

"Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return." Gen. Colin Powell

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.

IMO you don't know how stop loss actually works.

On this Soldier, I actually know who it was, he wasn't a SGT he was a SFC, he would not have been on "stop loss" he was on an indefinite enlistment of his own choice.

Farrow should let sleeping dogs lie on this one.

I was referring to the original purpose of the plan.

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Airwolf

Blame the Congress that thought it was such a great idea to disband a huge chunk of the Military after Desert Storm. They laid the ground work for all of this Stop Loss nonsense.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline MPCOA

• Just Off Probation
This guy wasn't stop lossed, he was an active duty E-7 who was 37 years old.

His parents are going to be upset when Mia and her brother's meddling bring all circumstances to light.
Don't suffer from PTSD, go out and cause it

Embrace the Hate

"Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return." Gen. Colin Powell