Author Topic: Parting Ways  (Read 617 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
Parting Ways
« on: April 08, 2012, 02:39:06 PM »
By Rich Lowry
April 7, 2012 6:34 P.M.

Anyone who has read Derb in our pages knows he’s a deeply literate, funny, and incisive writer. I direct anyone who doubts his talents to his delightful first novel, “Seeing Calvin Coolidge in a Dream,” or any one of his “Straggler” columns in the books section of NR. Derb is also maddening, outrageous, cranky, and provocative. His latest provocation, in a webzine, lurches from the politically incorrect to the nasty and indefensible. We never would have published it, but the main reason that people noticed it is that it is by a National Review writer. Derb is effectively using our name to get more oxygen for views with which we’d never associate ourselves otherwise. So there has to be a parting of the ways. Derb has long danced around the line on these issues, but this column is so outlandish it constitutes a kind of letter of resignation. It’s a free country, and Derb can write whatever he wants, wherever he wants. Just not in the pages of NR or NRO, or as someone associated with NR any longer.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/295514/parting-ways-rich-lowry
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: Parting Ways
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 02:44:09 PM »
What's this about?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 02:46:05 PM »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 02:58:17 PM »
He was fired for that? I don't disagree with it and he seems to have done his research. Why do people continue to ignore facts if they're not politically correct? Libs caused all that shit. "Black" degradation is just the result and it's cultural, not racial. Africans that come here and get educated are very intelligent.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Karin

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 10:43:24 AM »
Some of that was inflammatory, and some of it was just uncomfortable truths.  There are 4,000 comments.  It seems to be a reasonably honest debate.  It's just a hard fact that you have to weigh PC-ness vs. personal safety. 

Should he have been fired for that article?  I'm not sure.  I know that NR has a right to protect its brand, and I also know that free speech is sacrosanct to the conservative.  My NR subscription is up for renewal.  What would you do? 

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 10:49:37 AM »
Some of that was inflammatory, and some of it was just uncomfortable truths.  There are 4,000 comments.  It seems to be a reasonably honest debate.  It's just a hard fact that you have to weigh PC-ness vs. personal safety. 

Should he have been fired for that article?  I'm not sure.  I know that NR has a right to protect its brand, and I also know that free speech is sacrosanct to the conservative.  My NR subscription is up for renewal.  What would you do? 

I'd renew. It's a quality publication. And they're absolutely right in saying that the right for Derb to write whatever he wants is also sacrosanct, but when those writings do not fit the style, purpose, and desire of NR, they have the right to withdraw employment.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.