Author Topic: In A surprise 9th Circus Court ruling on July 3  (Read 1158 times)

Offline megimoo

In A surprise 9th Circus Court ruling on July 3
« on: July 21, 2008, 07:46:01 AM »
Heckler’s veto: Circuit court rules in favor of displaying abortion photos

In a ruling that surprised some observers, a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the right of a pro-life group to display photos showing the bodies of babies dismembered during abortions. ..snip

The 9th Circuit ruled on July 3 that in detaining the activists, sheriff's deputies violated the demonstrators' First and Fourth Amendment rights to free speech and freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures. In its ruling, the court cited the "heckler's veto," which states that citizens' speech cannot be curtailed because of listeners' reactions to that speech's content. CBR activists' "speech was permitted until the students and drivers around the school reacted to it, at which point the speech was deemed disruptive and ordered stopped," wrote Judge Harry Pregerson. "This application of the statute raises serious First Amendment concerns." snip
http://www.worldmag.com/articles/14195

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: In A surprise 9th Circus Court ruling on July 3
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 07:51:12 AM »
Oh my.

I'll bet the primitives aren't happy about this.  Free speech.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 10:19:33 AM »
You can bet on this being appealed.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 10:50:19 AM »

"speech was permitted until the students and drivers around the school reacted to it, at which point the speech was deemed disruptive and ordered stopped," I wonder what constitutes "reacted to". Just being yelled at, or running up and punching some one?