Author Topic: problem  (Read 3410 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
problem
« on: October 18, 2013, 06:16:26 AM »
Maybe about two weeks ago this computer apparently updated Internet Explorer and google; one or the other, or both.

Two problems have since emerged.

As many know, I use google "images" a lot, for comments I make here.

Number one, the computer's started downloading and saving images as PNGs rather than JPEGs.

I prefer that they be JPEGs, but whenever I check the "save as," it always only gives me the choices of saving an image only as a PNG or a bitmap, nothing else.

Number two, after examining a specific google image, when I hit the "back button," it doesn't go back to the page with all the images (from which one selects another image); it just "refreshes" the single image that's on the screen.

Meaning that if I want to look at another image, I have to go back to the google home page, click "images," and once again.....type in (for example) "pheasant Nebraska Custer" or "country club Nebraska Merriman."  This is getting damned tedious.

Is there anything I can do about these two issues?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
Re: problem
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 08:40:07 AM »
Number one, the computer's started downloading and saving images as PNGs rather than JPEGs.

I prefer that they be JPEGs, but whenever I check the "save as," it always only gives me the choices of saving an image only as a PNG or a bitmap, nothing else.
Hmm, nothing wrong with PNGs,....... unless you're a JPEG/JPG bigot.

Is there some real need that they be JPEG/JPGs, and not PNGs? I have a couple of image manipulation applications that provide a long list of file formats, and the ability to convert from one format to another.

Number two, after examining a specific google image, when I hit the "back button," it doesn't go back to the page with all the images (from which one selects another image); it just "refreshes" the single image that's on the screen.

Meaning that if I want to look at another image, I have to go back to the google home page, click "images," and once again.....type in (for example) "pheasant Nebraska Custer" or "country club Nebraska Merriman."  This is getting damned tedious.
When you select an image with the cursor, right click the mouse, and select OPEN LINK IN NEW TAB or OPEN LINK IN NEW  WINDOW.

Then you can simply exit that TAB or WINDOW.
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 05:12:36 PM »
Hmm, nothing wrong with PNGs....... unless you're a JPEG/JPG bigot.

Is there some real need that they be JPEG/JPGs, and not PNGs? I have a couple of image manipulation applications that provide a long list of file formats, and the ability to convert from one format to another.
When you select an image with the cursor, right click the mouse, and select OPEN LINK IN NEW TAB or OPEN LINK IN NEW WINDOW.

Then you can simply exit that TAB or WINDOW.

Okay, that works; thanks. 

It's my understanding that PNGs take up a great deal more space on the computer than JPEGs; for example, there's one here that's only 80 kb as a JPEG, but 1200 kb as a PNC.  Same picture, same dimensions.

I vaguely recall seeing a little message that this was to "improve" the google-bing "experience," but for the life of me, I can't see where either change has been an improvement.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 06:18:58 PM »
Check out IrfanView. It's free, and very useful. You can download images in one format, then chose some other format to save to.
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 01:17:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Paint will convert images, too. Just when you go to save, save as a .jpg. Paint is already on everybody's PC if they're running windows.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 10:07:10 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Paint will convert images, too. Just when you go to save, save as a .jpg. Paint is already on everybody's PC if they're running windows.

Yes, yes, yes, that's true.

But life was considerably easier--and less burden on the computer--when one could just directly save something as a JPEG, instead of having to do all this conversion stuff.

It makes me uncomfortable, having to save a PNG of 1500 mb or bitmap of 900 mb when as a JPEG it takes but 70 kb.  And so I convert.  But again, I never used to have to bother; it was always automatically a JPEG.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 10:09:54 PM »
PNG files are usually more legible.  Fonts on a compressed JPEG wind up being blurry and difficult to read at times.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 10:39:15 PM »
<<<Doesn't worry about file sizes, still has about 600 gigs of free space.  :-)