Author Topic: HELP!! Toshiba Satelite L755  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
HELP!! Toshiba Satelite L755
« on: September 19, 2013, 10:45:28 AM »
Sister-in-law's laptop threw a hissy-fit and will not boot. It turns on, then black screen with a cursor in upper left corner.

Tried recycling power, same result.

Removed battery, recycled power, same result.

Inserted w7 disc, cycled power, got "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"; pressed key (a lot of them, actually), no response.

Suggestions, solutions, whatever (as long as it doesn't involve weapons, ammunition, or the discharge thereof into the damn machine) ??

Thanks in advance.
Don't get stuck on stupid...

I am of the CauCajun persuasion...  :-)

Leftwing lunatic thought process concerning police: I'm armed with bad breath and body odor. The police are armed with a badge, a tazer, a 9mm, and a shotgun.  I should antagonize them.

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
Re: HELP!! Toshiba Satelite L755
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 10:53:36 AM »
Sounds like your HD isn't spinning up.  Could be it's gone bad or just a connector bumped or worked loose.  Has the machine been dropped?
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 11:05:37 AM »
Probably. SIL doesn't remember dropping it, tho. (One of the first questions I asked)

Leftwing lunatic thought process concerning police: I'm armed with bad breath and body odor. The police are armed with a badge, a tazer, a 9mm, and a shotgun.  I should antagonize them.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 11:07:50 AM »
Check the BIOS or boot menu (F1 and F12) to see if the hard drive is showing up.  If it is and you have the option to run a diagnostic test on it from the BIOS menu, do so.

If the HD tests okay, your OS may be corrupted.  There is usually a recovery partition on new computers (F11).  You want to do a Quick Restore to reinstall the operating system files if the drive tests okay.

If you don't have the system/restore disks for the computer, they're usually available from the manufacturer for a small fee (sometimes they're free).
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 11:11:54 AM »
Try hitting the F2 key at boot to get into the BIOS...google said it was f2 anyway it may be DEL or F12 try F2 first. once on look for the section that lists the hard drives. If one isn't listed then that IS the problem like ExGeeEye said. If you cant get into the BIOS
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 11:12:28 AM »
yea what Chris_ said...lol
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 11:24:53 AM »
Got into the bios, HD shows up, no provision to test it.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 11:36:33 AM »
Check the BIOS or boot menu (F1 and F12) to see if the hard drive is showing up.  If it is and you have the option to run a diagnostic test on it from the BIOS menu, do so.

If the HD tests okay, your OS may be corrupted.  There is usually a recovery partition on new computers (F11).  You want to do a Quick Restore to reinstall the operating system files if the drive tests okay.

If you don't have the system/restore disks for the computer, they're usually available from the manufacturer for a small fee (sometimes they're free).

Sounds like your OS is gone to me. see if what chris_ mentioned is there. If there is no recovery partition you will need the factory recovery disk or a OS disk for the install.

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 11:58:36 AM »
thanks. I have a W7Pro 32bit disc i'll try.

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 03:07:39 PM »
Success!!  It was the OS, installing W7Pro as we type.

Thanks, guys, saved SIL a bunch of money she doesn't have.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 05:40:10 PM »
Well I cant take credit for much of anything but if anything i said helped then your welcome....anytime.