Author Topic: Omaha Steve and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good Summer  (Read 28980 times)

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
Re: Omaha Steve and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good Summer
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 10:18:06 AM »
HILARIOUS !!!

You know that Stevo has to be following this.  That gives me such a warm feeling.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 10:35:03 AM »
Quote from:
The bartender wondered why he was calling out a former University of Nebraska football coach while sticking his hand down the front of his pants.

:rotf:

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline J. M. Pyne

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 03:00:10 PM »
More!  More!

Offline Karin

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 03:04:01 PM »
 :rofl: :rotf: :lmao:  This is great! 

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2012, 03:28:12 PM »
:rofl: :rotf: :lmao:  This is great! 

Saw there was a new post & rushed over expecting a new installment.  Big disapointment.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »
Sadly, the REAL story of Omaha Steve is far more pathetic.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2012, 11:22:18 AM »
Sadly, the REAL story of Omaha Steve is far more pathetic.

Ain't that the truth! :loser:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2012, 06:16:31 PM »
The police officer removed the handcuff from Steve’s wrist, giving him a moment’s hope that he would leave the hospital a free man. The moment was short-lived. The officer secured Steve to the cot with a plastic cuff, and handed the steel bracelets to the sheriff’s deputy. The officers exchanged a few words, and the deputy left.

The police officer said to Steve, “Mr. Dawes, I need to ask you some questions. We have been unable to contact your wife. Can you tell us where she is?”

Steve said, “She’s probably off somewhere with that franksolich.”

“Your wife ran off with Frank Solich, the former Nebraska football coach?” the officer asked, with a puzzled look on his face.

“No, the other franksolich”, Steve replied with an agitated tone. “You know who I’m talking about!”

The officer made a note on his report form, and then said, “I think we’ll wait on the rest of the questions.” He left the room. A minute later, Steve saw him talking to the doctor at the nurse’s station. They returned together to the treatment room.

“Mr. Dawes,” the doctor said, “I understand you think your wife ran off with a football coach. Why would you think that?”

Steve yelled, “Not the football coach! The other one! The other one!” He looked at the doctor and the police officer with quickly-building suspicion. He realized the doctor had long hair. “Let me see your ears! Your ears!”

The doctor took an involuntary step back. He had experienced many strange things in his career, but had never had his ears become the subject of a patient’s fixation. “We’ll need to run a couple of tests, Mr. Dawes. Don’t go anywhere.” The doctor chuckled again. The officer made another note on his report form.

A few minutes later, a nurse came to draw blood and take a urine sample for a drug screen. Steve refused to use the urinal, even when the nurse said he’d have to use a catheter if Steve didn’t cooperate. As the nurse inserted the catheter, Steve unexpectedly asked him, “Did you ever consider playing football for the University of Nebraska?” The nurse dismissed the comment. Steve pressed on, “How about a happy ending, huh?”

The nurse said, “I’m in the union. That’s not in my contract.”
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2012, 06:43:11 PM »
Worth the wait.  Now, get back to work.

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2012, 07:19:01 PM »
Worth the wait.  Now, get back to work.

I relaxed this weekend. Rode down to Cottonwood Falls for blackberry pie and bluegrass music yesterday, went to the range today.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
Marta drove west on I-80. Her eyes, which had been red from crying, now shone brightly. An observer would see years leave her face with each mile she put behind her. “Not that Steve ever noticed,” she said to the reflection in the rear-view mirror.

She had been sitting, waiting for a call from the police, or someone, telling her Steve’s body had been found. She was certain he had taken the Walther to kill himself. She hadn’t found a suicide note in the house, so she decided to check Steve’s laptop. She had long ago figured out his password- franksolich. She looked through Steve’s documents, but found no suicide note. She told herself it was probably for the best, making his death appear to be a spur-of-the-moment action. “Heck, I may even get the union’s life insurance payment”, she said to herself.

Curiosity got the best of Marta; she clicked on “My Pictures”. The first folder was titled “BB”. Marta knew too well of Steve’s fetish for high school girls’ basketball players; once, many years ago, he had begged her to wear a uniform to bed. Being a woman of good, solid Midwestern values, Marta refused. "I'd never do that sort of thing," she had told him. She still remembered the look on Steve's face when she said it.

Marta opened the folder.

The laptop screen was filled with little pictures of girls in basketball uniforms. Too many girls. Marta thought of the nights Steve had locked himself in the spare bedroom he called his “office” with the laptop, and she felt sick to her stomach. Her revulsion got worse when she saw a folder titled “FB”; she remembered Steve’s fanaticism about recruiting homosexuals for the University of Nebraska football team. Before she opened the folder, she let her mind make the connection from Nebraska football to Frank Solich, to franksolich. Softly, she said “almost a saint”. It seemed to strengthen her, and she opened the “Football” folder. It was exactly as she expected, dozens of pictures of young football players, mostly of their backsides.

At that moment the telephone rang. Marta, who was crying, jumped, but let the answering machine pick up the call. “This is a message for Mrs. Marta Dawes. Mrs. Dawes, this is the Bellevue Police Department. Please call the Detective division as soon as possible to discuss your husband, Steve Dawes.” The caller left a number, which Marta promptly forgot. She knew she wouldn’t call the police. Whether Steve was dead or alive, she wouldn’t call.

After packing a few things and transferring all of their joint savings to her household account, Marta locked up the house and left. She drove west, for no particular reason other than the position of the setting sun. She had always dreamed of riding off into the sunset. Tears streaked her face for the first hour, but gave way to the light in her eyes; the light of joy at a future of her choosing.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 08:09:27 PM by Big Dog »
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2012, 08:05:39 PM »
Inspiring. :rofl:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2012, 09:36:48 PM »
The longer Steve lay in the Emergency Room, the more anxious he got. It had been hours since his last hit of powdered Oxycontin, and the doctor refused to give him anything stronger than Toradol. Steve felt the familiar symptoms of withdrawal, which mixed with his fear and paranoia. Steve remembered the pillbox in his pants pocket, and he licked his lips. Then he remembered the paramedic had cut off his pants in the ambulance, and he knew his Oxy stash was either lost or found- neither of which was good for him.

Steve was sweating. He could smell his sweat and that strange vestige of sewage from his working days, which had never left him even after years on the disability bandwagon. Sweat ran into his eyes, and ran in rivulets down his arms to his wrists. To make matters worse, he felt like he had to urinate; an uncomfortable feeling of fullness in his bladder. As he wiggled around on the cot, he felt his right wrist slip a little within the plastic handcuff holding him to the cot. Steve looked around furtively, forming a plan in his drug-scrambled but drug-starved mind. It was a simple plan: get out of the restraint and run.

Steve watched the door intently. He could see the police officer out at the nurse’s station, looking up every few seconds to check on his prisoner. When the officer looked away, Steve wiggled and pulled against the cuff. His hand caught the plastic cuff, but Steve pulled harder and his slippery hand pulled free of the restraint. Steve looked up again- the police officer was still at the nurse’s station. Steve slid off the end of the cot and moved toward the door, but he took only two steps before he abruptly discovered two things.

Steve was still tethered to the cot by the Foley catheter, and a second police officer was standing just outside the door.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Karin

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2012, 01:15:54 PM »
OMG, riveting! 

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2012, 09:52:11 PM »
Love it!

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2012, 06:45:08 PM »
White light. Cold.

White light and something cold…no, just cool, moving on his skin. A breeze, maybe.

Steve Dawes tried to make sense of the two things intruding on the blank quiet in his mind. For a while, those two things were his entire world.

White light. Something cool, moving on his skin.  Not a bad feeling at all, really. Steve could spend eternity in this white place.

Into the white quiet, two spots of heat, of pain, intruded. Steve’s brow furrowed, faint confusion at the presence of the two spots of heat, of pain.

Steve’s consciousness slowly pushed itself toward the front, adding sensations, then half formed thoughts. Steve heard voices, but he couldn’t make out the words. It seemed like his head was wrapped in wool.

White light and cool skin, and two spots of pain forcing themselves into his white cocoon. Steve tried to figure out the two spots of pain. One was between his legs- what happened to Lil Stevie? he asked himself dimly. The other was on his backside- why does my butt hurt?

Steve told himself, in a dim half-formed way, that he should figure out how the confusing collection of senses added up. He opened his eyes, but he couldn’t focus. It was strange, when his eyes were closed all was white, but when he opened them all was dark. He pondered the mystery for a few seconds, until a memory coalesced in his mind.

Steve remembered jumping off the foot of the Emergency Room cot and running for the door. He recalled an incredible pain between his legs, and turning around to relieve the sudden pain and a pulling sensation. He had seen a police officer, a female police officer, stepping into the doorway as he whirled around. The officer had a gun of some sort in her hand. For Steve, all turned to white light in the next second.

The rookie police officer had just arrived at the ER to stand guard on the prisoner. She knew he had shot himself in the foot, and that EMS had found a pistol and narcotics en route to the hospital. She figured the hole in his foot would slow this suspect down, but she also knew how unpredictable and violent junkies could be when they needed a fix; not as bad as meth freaks, but not to be taken for granted.  So, when Steve moved for the foot of the bed, making more noise than he realized, the young officer was ready. She stepped into the doorway, Taser in hand, and prepared to order the suspect to freeze.

In that instant, that officer saw something that would haunt her dreams.

She saw a huge man in a backless hospital gown, flinging himself off the end of the cot and starting to lumber toward her, off-balance. She saw the tubing of the urinary catheter, still hooked to the bag on the bedside, go taut under the gown. She saw the huge man begin to spin back toward the bed, reaching for his groin. She saw the back of the gown fly open, exposing his enormous back and rear end. And she saw, in a small part of her mind, a purple tattoo on the man’s rump. An Indian chief with the letter “B” on his face.

While the officer’s power of observation was engaged in one part of her brain, her survival instinct was also engaging a different part. She identified the huge man as a threat, raised the Taser, and fired. The darts hit the spinning man in the backside, right on the Indian chief. Somewhere in the back of her mind the officer heard an instructor say "You shoot where you look", but she didn't have time to follow the thought to its conclusion. The Taser sent a series of electric shocks into the man, who stiffened and fell facedown at the foot of the cart, his backside exposed. The officer felt her heartbeat racing, pounding, and took deep breaths to slow it down. She never took her eyes from Steve, laying on the tile floor. She kept the Taser at the ready.

The other officer and the ER doctor ran to the room. The doctor knelt down and checked Steve’s pulse, and took a second to check the urinary catheter, still anchored to Steve's bladder, the burns on his groin, and the dressing on his foot. A nurse and two paramedics moved Steve onto a backboard. The five of them hoisted Steve back onto the cot; the young officer maintained her Taser at the high ready position. Steve was screaming again, a highpitched wail. The doctor ordered that Steve be sedated; in a few minutes he stopped wailing and seemed calm. It wasn’t as good as a noseful of Oxycontin, but it was better than nothing. Steve nodded off again.

The young officer relaxed, and said to the older officer, "I think I'm gonna need counseling."
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 07:07:18 PM by Big Dog »
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2012, 03:23:10 PM »
Six days later, Steve Dawes had gotten used to life in the medical housing unit at the Sarpy County Correctional Center. Get up in the morning, morning meds, eat breakfast, then roll in to the dayroom and watch TV. He saw the nurse in the morning for the dressing changes and Silvadine burn cream smeared on his genitals- “that’s nice”, he had said to the nurse once, but he didn’t respond. Noon meds and lunch, then more TV. Evening meds and supper, then back to his cell until bedtime meds and lights-out.

He had been discharged from the hospital four days before. He had enjoyed the time in the hospital. The spongebaths, food, and TV were his favorite parts; having nurses come when he pushed the buzzer made him feel like a king. The two days he had spent there were like a little spa vacation for Steve.

There were no spongebaths in lockup, but he had spent plenty of time with the psychiatrist when he was first brought in. Try as he may, Steve was unable to convince the psychiatrist that he was the victim of a conspiracy between a former Nebraska football coach, who may also be a big dog who rode a motorcycle and smoked cigars; George W. Bush; Ayn Rand; the Republican Party; the police; and the hospital.

Steve read upside-down as the psychiatrist checked blocks on a form: “danger to self”, “danger to others”, “drug abuse or withdrawal”,  “delusions or hallucinations”, “unable to care for self”, and “unable to understand nature and consequences”. Steve yelled at the psychiatrist, “You’re not listening! You’re in on it with them!” The psychiatrist wrote on the form again. Steve couldn’t see what he wrote, but he was sure it wasn’t good.

Steve figured something was going to happen, but didn’t know what or when. He had tried to call Marta, but got only her voice mail message. He left long messages- crying, demanding, pleading messages. After the second day, the phone told him Marta’s voice mailbox was full.  Steve thought he could get help from his friends at the Democratic Underground, if only he could get access to the Internet, but the detention officer had told him “no”. The officer told him the county’s Internet filter blocked hate sites, which made Steve hiss like he had steam escaping from some part of him. "I've got my rights! I'm entitled!" He noticed an extra pill in his cup the next time he rolled up to the nurse’s station.

Steve dully watched the TV on the dayroom wall. Sometimes the TV was turned to game shows and soap operas, which Steve mostly ignored. But, sometimes, Fox News was on the screen, which agitated him. The dayroom officer would notice Steve’s changed mood, and report to the nurse; Steve would again receive an additional pill in his cup. He vaguely remembered a movie he had seen about mental patients, where the one guy had a lobotomy, and the other guy smothered him with a pillow. Steve hoped, in a vague sort of way, that he didn’t end up with a lobotomy. “Being smothered would be bad, too”, he said out loud, to no one in particular.

After a few more days, Steve couldn’t really say how many, he was rolled into a room to meet a man in a suit. The man said he was an attorney, and Steve had to prepare for a competency hearing. Steve had trouble understanding what the man was talking about; he didn’t remember hiring a lawyer. “Did Marta send you?” Steve asked.  “No, Mr. Dawes. I was appointed by the court to represent you. The police have been unable to reach your wife. It’s like she vanished, but the police don’t suspect foul play.”

Steve began to cry again, although he didn’t know why. Through his sobs, the lawyer heard him say, “franksolich”. The lawyer had too much experience with mental patients to ask why the former Nebraska football coach made Steve Dawes cry.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2012, 03:35:01 PM »
If this story had a theme song it would be this.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-lJZiqZaGA[/youtube]
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2012, 09:59:48 PM »
Damn.

This is good, riveting, compelling, a joy to read.

I think I shall share this with people in real life.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2012, 10:35:51 PM »
The attorney explained the process to Steve. He would be held without bond at the medical housing unit until a competency hearing, which would be held in three weeks. Steve was having a hard time remembering what day it was, so “three weeks” made no sense to him. As he ruminated on “three weeks, three weeks”, singing it in his head, he figured he would be happy as long as he was fed three times a day, kept getting the little cups of pills, and had the Silvadine cream smeared on his burns. Steve stopped listening to the attorney as he thought about the silky, soft burn cream in his underwear…

“Mr. Dawes! I need you to listen!” The lawyer brought Steve abruptly back to the matter at hand.

“You must be able to participate in your criminal defense. The doctor will reduce your medication for about a week before the hearing, and you will have to go through another psychiatric evaluation. It’s important that you cooperate. I’ll be back to see you before the hearing. Until I talk to you again, don’t talk to the police or tell other inmates anything about your case. Is there anyone you want my paralegal to call?”

Steve thought for a minute. He felt a small measure of shame at being locked up, and didn’t want his children to see him in such a condition. He thought and thought, and finally said “Call Will Pitt. He’ll know what to do. Maybe he can call the President and get me pardoned.”

The lawyer sighed, and asked if Steve knew a telephone number for Will Pitt. Steve didn’t know, but remembered that Pitt lived in a bar in Boston, or Baltimore, or Buffalo. The lawyer said that he’d have the paralegal try to locate Steve’s friend. He didn’t expect much success, and he knew better than to tell Steve the President wouldn’t be pardoning him. There are some things a smart lawyer keeps to himself.

Steve had lost interest. He had only three things on his mind: noon meds, Salisbury steak for lunch, and Silvadine cream in his pants.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:38:48 PM by Big Dog »
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2012, 10:36:59 PM »
Damn.

This is good, riveting, compelling, a joy to read.

I think I shall share this with people in real life.

Thanks. It practically writes itself.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Karin

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2012, 03:58:19 PM »
Another fine installment.  I'm having a ball reading it! 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2012, 04:03:53 PM »
"... lived in a bar in Boston"

You made me laugh out loud. :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2012, 04:04:32 PM »
Thanks. It practically writes itself.

Are you claiming the phenominon of autowriting?

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2012, 08:55:05 PM »
Time had ceased to have any meaning for Steve Dawes inside the Sarpy County Correctional Center. While two weeks passed in the real world, Steve World was a slow-moving blur with a few quickly-forgotten bright spots along the way. Steve liked the routine; he didn’t want it to end. He had kept the wheelchair by pretending he couldn’t walk. The staff didn’t care if he walked or rolled, as long as he was quiet.

Steve didn’t know what medications he was taking, but he could feel their effects after he took them. The red pills were his favorite; he thought they like were the Qualuudes he had heard so much about when he was young. The black and yellow capsules were good, too; he could only focus on one thing at a time after he took them. At night, the sleeping pills blanked out his mind, so strong that he had awakened more than one morning with wet pants because he hadn’t realized his bladder was full. Aside from causing the occasional accident, his medications were mighty good.

But, like all good things, Steve’s Soma holiday was coming to an end. Just as the lawyer had told him, the nurse changed his pills. The red pills were replaced by small white pills.  Steve felt the change right away. The white pills made Steve feel like he was outside of his body, and everything he saw or heard seemed far away. Steve spent hours testing the new sensations. The yellow and black capsules reminded Steve of bumblebees, so he spent an entire morning saying “bummmmble-bees, bummmmble-bees”, over and over. Another dose of the white pills at lunchtime reduced Steve to making the sound of the letter “b” continuously, because it tickled his lips to purse them and make the sound. He giggled while he made the “b” sound.

The day room detention officer noticed Steve sitting in the corner drooling and giggling, and pointed Steve out to the nurse. The Nurse called the staff psychiatrist, who ordered the white pills be replaced with a liquid. Steve’s first dose of the liquid was at bedtime. He had a very vivid dream about Jan Michael Vincent and Ernest Borgnine dancing the can-can with a line of redheads, a cigar-smoking bulldog riding a blue seahorse, a golf-playing football coach, and pie- but it all made sense to him at the time.

The next afternoon, the liquid medicine was working with the bumblebees, giving Steve surreal focus on one thing at a time to the exclusion of the rest of the world. He was sitting in front of the TV. The dayroom officer had turned it to the Discovery Channel, so he could watch “Shark Week”. The network showed program after program about sharks: sharks swimming, sharks hunting, sharks mating, and sharks attacking surfers and SCUBA divers. As Steve watched, he became the surfer, the SCUBA diver, and even the fish and sea lions, knowing that he could not escape the relentless hunters of the deep. He became more and more frightened, but he couldn’t get away from the sharks because the wheels were locked on his wheelchair.

The most frightening show in all of Shark Week was “Nature’s Perfect Predator”, with underwater footage of Great White Sharks hunting everything from fish to elephant seals. Steve watched, never looking away. He was the elephant seal in the water, fearing for his life, hoping the Great Whites didn’t notice him.

On the screen, a shark turned and swam in for the kill on a bull elephant seal. Steve saw the shark open its mouth, showing hundreds of teeth, and move in to eat him. He screamed “Shark, shark!” with a horrified wail, and pitched backward out of the wheelchair onto the floor. He got to his feet and ran, still screaming, limping on his wounded foot, and flailing his arms.

The dayroom detention officer had no idea Steve was being attacked by a Great White Shark, but it didn’t matter to him. He quickly subdued Steve, who continued to scream “Shark!” The dayroom officer noticed an unmistakable odor, and realized Steve had wet himself again. The nurse injected Steve with a sedative, and he was moved to his bed. He was weeping.

The dayroom officer realized he still smelled Steve’s urine, and went to the locker room to shower and change. He told himself he should find a new career. “Rodeo clowns have it pretty good”, he thought, and wondered if the GI Bill would pay for rodeo clown school. They did call it "college", after all.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.