Author Topic: Omaha Steve and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good Summer  (Read 28981 times)

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
Omaha Steve and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good Summer
« on: June 23, 2012, 11:58:18 AM »
Note: This story began life as a post in A Cry in the Dark..., with chapters following in Omaha Steve, the Perennial Victim. The story below has been edited to create a more unified narrative.

This is a work of fiction, with the exception of a certain redhead's breasts, which are 100% real. Actual characters, places, and events are used for narrative effect, as parody, and for my own amusement (see redhead's breasts).

Money back guarantee if not completely satisfied.

This story is not copyrighted. It may be freely distributed as long as the blame for its creation is properly attributed. Anyone who steals it deserves what he gets. See The Ransom of Red Chief and consider yourself fairly warned.

What do you expect? I'm a cigar smoking Dog!
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Big Dog

Re: Omaha Steve and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good Summer
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 12:00:16 PM »
Steve Dawes sat at home in his underpants, snorting ground-up Oxycontin and eating frozen mini-tacos straight from the freezer. He hadn't put on pants nor left the house for a month, since he came in a disappointing third in the four-man race for Bellevue City Council. He looked at the one yard sign he salvaged on Election Day, propped against the wall in the spare bedroom he called his "office". The home page on his computer was www.electstevedawes.com; even his own face mocked him. On the bedroom wall was a corkboard with scribbled notes and photographs of a half-dozen men, and one woman, whom Steve incorrectly thought may be his nemesis, franksolich. A badly-written flyer, ink smeared by mini-taco grease, sat on the bedside table; an old pistol, a Walther P38 his father brought home at the end of WWII, and a box of cartridges rested on the flyer. Steve thought about his life. In his mind he heard a saxophone dirge played by a high school girl in a basketball uniform. Steve wept bitter, bitter tears.

Marta looked in on him, and Steve glanced up at her with tears running down his face into his neckbeard. She sighed, and her shoulders slumped under her housedress. She had tried once to tell him to man up and move on with his life, but his wailing drove her to the basement for the whole afternoon. Steve remembered getting his father's pistol from that box under the bed that day, but didn’t remember buying the cartridges- but he must have, right? He told himself he would not pick up the pistol as long as Marta checked on him from time to time.   

Marta looked down at him once more, and then padded out to the kitchen. From her purse, she took a receipt from Costco for a 144-count box of mini-tacos, and another from Cabela's for one box of 9mm cartridges. She tore up the receipts and threw them away. A single, weary tear ran down her cheek. She said to herself that maybe some time apart would do them both good.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
The rising sun awakened Marta, and she realized she had fallen asleep on the sofa. She listened to the sounds of a quiet house; the ticking of her grandmother's wind-up clock in the hallway, the mechanical whirring of the refrigerator as it moved unsteadily but inexorably toward its last tray of ice cubes. Marta allowed herself a bitter minute as she thought about the money Steve wasted on his City Council campaign. "Really," Marta said to herself, "$1,000 for one yard sign? And with my credit card! Dammit, Steve, there goes my new refrigerator." With that thought, Marta realized there was something she didn't hear- Steve.

For one long moment, Marta savored the thought that Steve had finally accomplished something. She said to herself, "If he'd put it in his mouth, I wouldn't have heard it. Right?" A flash of guilt followed the faintly eager smile across her face. Marta had been raised with good, solid Midwestern values, and she knew that didn't include smiling at the mental picture of her husband lying on the bedroom floor with a Walther P38 in his mouth. Besides, she had a pretty good idea how difficult it would be to clean up after, and that wiped any trace of a smile from her face.

The moment passed when Marta heard a long, ragged snore from the spare bedroom Steve called his "office", followed by a moist eruption of familiar flatulence. Steve had nodded off in front of the computer, as he so often did after snorting his Oxycontin. Marta looked in the door, and her gaze lingered on the Walther and the unopened box of cartridges on the bedside table. She dismissed the thought that flitted through her head; she had watched enough CSI to know she would be caught, and she'd watched enough NCIS to know a good investigator would get her to confess.

Steve was quiet for a few seconds, then snored again, a ragged, uneven gasp for air. Marta knew Steve's doctor had warned him about sleeping without the CPAP, but this morning she didn't mind that every gasp for air shortened Steve's lifespan. But, she had a headache from falling asleep on the couch, and his gasping and snoring made her head throb.

"Wake up, dammit", she said. Steve snorted, farted again, and stirred. He realized, after Marta did, that he was wearing the same underpants he had been wearing for the past two days (“or was it three?”, he asked himself). He scratched his neckbeard, went to the bathroom, and relieved himself with the door open. Marta looked at the Walther again; a long, lingering, almost languorous look. The sound of the toilet flushing brought her back from her reverie.

"Mini-tacos?" Steve slurred, the remnants of Oxycontin still turning his words to fuzz. "Get 'em yourself," Marta said. Steve waddled to the kitchen, scratching various body parts as he went. He grabbed two mini-tacos from the box in the freezer, stuffed one in his mouth, and warmed the other in his hand. Marta realized he had not washed his hands after using the toilet.

"When are you going to get out of the house?” she asked. Steve made a face like he was thinking about the answer (was he? She didn't really know anymore). "Don't wanna", he slurred. "Frank Smolish and the Cravers...er, the Clavers...ummm, Fronk SOLICH.. aww hell, they are out there. And the voters of the First Ward are still out there".

Marta responded, crossly, "I don't care if the Ghost of Ronald Reagan himself is out there, carrying a copy of Atlas Shrugged! You will take a shower, you will put on clean underpants, you will get out of this house, and you will take our granddaughter to the park!" She punctuated every "will" with a harmless, but attention-getting tap on Steve's forehead from the rolling pin she had picked up from the counter.

Steve was more frightened of Marta than he was of the voters of the First Ward, of the Ghost of Ronald Reagan, of a ghostly copy of Atlas Shrugged, or even of franksolich. He sulked on the way to the bathroom. As he showered, Marta considered, but dismissed the thought; no one would believe that Steve had shot himself in the shower. She sighed.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 12:14:10 PM »
After his shower, Steve dressed and walked back to the kitchen. The shower had washed away most of the Oxycontin cobwebs. He wanted to give Marta a bit of payback for whacking him on the forehead with the rolling pin. He thought about what he would say to her, settling on "I put on clean underpants, but not 'cuz you told me to". He knew it was weak sauce, but he didn't want to feel the rolling pin again.

As he rounded the corner from the hallway to the kitchen, Steve took a deep breath, but he caught himself. Did he just hear Marta softly say, "...one of the nicest guys one can ever hope to meet"? His wide eyes took in the scene: Marta sitting at the kitchen table in her housedress with her laptop and a cup of coffee. Her face had a faint glow, and her eyes were soft. On the screen of her laptop was the familiar blue and white of that website. Steve started to sputter, and Marta closed the laptop.

"How… how could you?" Steve spit. Marta looked down, and said softly, "He called me a saint. Well, almost a saint." I don't care if he said you are the love child of Vic Morrow and Gloria Steinem, never speak well of that man in my house again!" Marta shouted, "Whose house?" as she stood and reached for the rolling pin. Steve told himself he'd won this round, and made for the door. It was Father's Day, after all, and he was going to take his granddaughter to the park.

As he drove to pick up Madison, Steve thought about Marta's softness for franksolich; and about his collection of pictures of people who could be the elusive nemesis. Steve's simple, suspicious mind went to a dark place, a place completely divorced from reality, a place in which Marta and franksolich alone lived. He told himself that he was justified in fantasizing about high school basketball girls while he was in bed with Marta. "Serves her right." he said to himself.

Since his primary loss, Steve had become convinced that franksolich and his fellow Conservatives were stalking him, following him whenever he left the house. Steve began to look at the drivers and pedestrians around him, calling up his mental mug shots from the Cave. Here was a man who looked like Jan Michael Vincent. "That must be Airwolf!" Steve screamed as he sped up and made a sudden right turn. There was a redheaded woman, busty and bold, eating ice cream with long, slow licks. "GINA! AAAH", Steve screeched and drove through a red light. A police officer became dutch508, who must have driven across the state to torment him; a mannequin in a naughty nurse's costume in the window of Priscilla's turned into Celtic Rose. A random man on a motorcycle became Big Dog; Steve was certain he saw a stainless steel .45 on the man's hip, although it was only in his mind.

Steve arrived at Madison's house shaking and sweating. She was overjoyed to see her grandpa, but she wrinkled her nose. "Grandpa, you smell like sweaty poop". "Honey, poop doesn't sweat," Madison's mother said gently. Madison shrugged her shoulders and thought of going out for Sunday Funday with her grandpa. "Where are we going, grandpa?" Steve said, "We're going to Missouri Valley to ride the train." He figured he could slip out of town without being noticed by the horde of Conservatives who lived in his head, and could relax. Besides, he really, really liked small-scale trains- not that there's anything wrong with that.

Steve was still shaking and sweating, but not from fear alone. He went to the bathroom, leaving the door ajar, and relieved himself. He then took one of the Oxycontin tablets from the pillbox Marta had given him last Father's Day. Amor fidelis, Steve read bitterly from the lid of the pillbox, as he crushed the white tablet and snorted the coarse powder. As he stepped out of the bathroom, Madison looked at his face, in search of a smile from her grandpa. She said cheerily, "Grandpa, you have something on your face", pointing to the white residue in his straggly mustache. Steve licked his fingers, picked up the stray powder, and licked his fingers again. Madison giggled, remembering that Grandpa had not washed his hands after using the toilet and finding it wonderfully funny.

-Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 01:05:07 PM »
I, for one, am awaiting the next installment with baited breasts. This is like back in the 50's waiting for Commando Cody or Don Winslow.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 01:17:07 PM »
I applaud your literary skills! Hi5

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 01:32:29 PM »
 :lmao:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 01:35:31 PM »
By the time they got to Missouri Valley, Madison was ecstatic. She loved trains, and she had loved the ride from her house. She squealed with delight every time Steve sped up, made a sudden lane change, or unexpectedly exited the Interstate. She didn’t understand why her grandpa kept looking over his shoulder, nor the names he muttered as he drove.  She did get impatient, though, when he parked in that truck stop parking lot and sat, watching for anyone who may be following them. “Grandpa, let’s go!”

As they drove north again, Steve heard a sound outside the car that made his blood run cold. He looked out the window and saw a big black helicopter of some kind flying parallel to the Interstate. Steve murmered to himself nervously as the helicopter overtook them and continued north, which drew a question from Madison. “Grandpa, what’s an Obama Zombie?” Steve didn’t answer her.

When they got to Missouri Valley, Steve found the city park, and they walked to the Watson Steam Train depot. Madison had started to run ahead, but then stopped to wait for Grandpa. Why did he keep looking around? She didn’t know. Steve bought the train tickets, and they waited for the miniature train to return to the depot from its route through the riverside park. Madison jumped up and down as the little train rolled into the depot and stopped. In Steve’s mind, a giant cloud of steam engulfed them, just like in the movies.

Madison reached up for her grandpa to pick her up, so she could get on the train. Steve looked around furtively, then scooped her up in his arms. She gave Grandpa a kiss, and wiggled out of his arms into a seat of her own. Steve sat behind her, excited but still apprehensive.

As the Watson left the station, Madison held her arms over her head, like she had done on the ride at Worlds of Fun the year before. Steve smiled, but his eyes weren’t smiling. He saw a man with a camera, taking pictures of the train, but more importantly, of him. Steve didn’t recognize the man from his mental mug shot gallery of Conservatives, but he thought franksolich could send a spy whom Steve wouldn’t suspect. Steve was sullen for the rest of the ride, as he began to sweat and shake again.

After finishing the ride, Steve had to find a bathroom. His constitution didn’t tolerate stress well, he told himself. As he took Madison’s hand to walk across the park, Steve saw the man with the camera again. He forgot his need to relieve himself, and walked up to the photographer, dragging Madison behind. The man noticed Steve approaching, but did not react otherwise.

“What are you doing?” Steve demanded. “Why are you following me?” The man replied, “I’m not following you, mister. I ‘m just taking pictures.”  â€œWho sent you?” “Nobody, mister. Like I said, I’m just taking pictures. You know, the train, the park, maybe a pretty girl.” Steve wrinkled his nose, his Conservative Detector sounding an alarm in his head. He knew only Conservatives said “pretty girl”, it was so politically incorrect! “Tell that franksolich to leave me alone!” Steve yelled, which brought a quizzical look to the man’s face.

The man glanced around Steve and saw Madison, holding her grandpa’s hand. “I think I took a picture of her on the train”, he said, gesturing toward Madison. "I can send you the picture if you like.” Steve was suspicious, but figured one of his Democratic Underground friends could trace an e-mail address, or an IP, or something, and find out who this spy really was. “Sure”, Steve said, suddenly solicitous. "Send it to me at omahasteve@stevedawes2012.com.” The man keyed the address into his iPhone, and promised to send the picture that night.

Madison wanted to ride the train again, but Steve told her it was time to go. After the confrontation with the photographer, Steve again felt the need to relieve himself, stronger than before. Steve was a good grandpa and made sure his little girl was not left standing outside while he was in the restroom. He attended to his business, including another toot of powdered Oxycontin, and they headed for the car. Madison walked a few feet away from Steve, just far enough that he couldn’t hold her hand, because she had again noticed he didn’t wash his hands after using the toilet. This time she didn’t giggle.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 02:08:08 PM by Big Dog »
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 02:29:11 PM »
Whoa.

That's good, really good; I especially like the realism of it all.

Damn.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 03:20:34 PM »
It was my "walk around" camera. I didn't bring the good rig.  :whistling:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 06:01:33 PM »
It was my "walk around" camera. I didn't bring the good rig.  :whistling:

Good thing, too.

If Steve had grabbed for your good rig, that would be reason enough for a righteous beatdown!   :hammer:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 02:52:31 PM »
I'm horribly late to the party, but I wanted to say good job on this, and thanks for the shout out  :rofl:

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 03:43:52 PM »
I'm horribly late to the party, but I wanted to say good job on this, and thanks for the shout out  :rofl:
Were there any of Steve Dawes (socialist) flyers left in the toilets at Bears?
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 03:53:02 PM »
Steve should have really been looking out for the guy on that grassy knoll I tell you.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 03:59:27 PM »
Steve should have really been looking out for the guy on that grassy knoll I tell you.

The worthless fat **** has his very own grassy knoll...and it's us.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 08:19:03 PM »
Steve dropped Madison at her parents’ house. He had not shaken the feeling of unease since having his picture taken at the miniature railroad, not even with another noseful of ground up Oxycontin. The drug had no effect on his apprehension, but it did make him feel strangely weepy.

As he drove, he watched traffic and the streets warily. He thought about the things he knew from reading the Conservative Cave, and the things he imagined must be true about the Conservatives. His mental pictures became more disjointed. At one point, he was convinced that Big Dog was an actual talking dog who smoked cigars. “Dog’s can’t smoke cigars”, he finally told himself, “they don’t have thumbs!” He laughed involuntarily, a strange and high-pitched giggle. He choked off the laughter, however, when he thought about franksolich again. Steve thought about the similarities between franksolich and Big Dog. He knew both had talked about their hearing, both were writers, and both knew Nebraska like natives.  With a start, Steve concluded that franksolich and Big Dog were the same person. How could he have missed it for so long? He drove faster toward home, his mind racing. He would finally be the hero of Democratic Underground!  But, which person was real, and which was the alter ego? He pondered that question as he pulled up to his house.

Marta’s car was not in the driveway. Steve’s mind started to go to the dark place again, that place inhabited by Marta and franksolich alone. Or was it Big Dog? He didn't know anymore. His face reddened as he walked through the house, calling her name. No answer. By the time he reached the second bedroom he liked to call his “office”, he was in a red rage. He grabbed the Walther pistol and stuck it in his belt. He left the box of cartridges; he really didn’t know how to load the pistol anyway.

Steve drove around Bellevue, looking for Marta’s car. The more he drove, the more he saw the faces of his imagined tormenters in every car, and in every shop window. He became more frantic as he drove, failing to be reassured by not seeing Marta’s car parked at a bar or motel.

Meanwhile, Marta came home from the grocery store. Steve’s car was not in the driveway, and she didn’t feel like calling him to see when he’d be home. For a little bit, she would enjoy the time to herself. She carried in the groceries, unpacked and put them away, then walked through the house. She had noticed that the door to the spare bedroom was open, and when she looked inside she saw the Walther pistol was gone. She cried for a few minutes, and then sat waiting for the inevitable phone call.

Steve was still driving through Olde Town. He drove past Bear’s Bar and saw a big blue motorcycle parked right in front.

Steve remembered through the Oxycontin haze that Big Dog said he rode a big blue motorcycle. He told himself, “that must mean franksolich is here!” He thought of Marta saying “one of the nicest guys you could ever meet”, and the last bit of sanity left him. He drove up onto the curb, and barreled into the bar.

Bear’s Bar was quiet that afternoon. A few regulars sat at the bar, and a small group shared drinks and talk at one of the tables. Steve looked around wildly, and reached into his pants for the pistol, which had slipped from his belt down into his underwear. He shouted “I know you’re here, Frank Solich!” The bartender wondered why he was calling out a former University of Nebraska football coach while sticking his hand down the front of his pants. But, before the bartender could ask Steve what he was talking about, Steve got his hand on the grip of the Walther. In the next instant, all heads turned at the sound of the gunshot.

All heads, that is, but one.

Two sounds broke the stunned silence which followed. The first was a high-pitched strangled scream, which Steve realized was coming from him. The second was the voice of a man at the small table, a man who was sitting with his back to the door, the only person who didn't turn his head at the sound of the shot. The man said laconically, still without turning, "looks like Omaha Steve shot himself in the foot, again."
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 10:32:09 PM »
 :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 06:18:36 PM »
Steve Dawes fell to the floor of the bar, screaming. He couldn’t form a rational thought amongst the stew of pain, fear, and anger boiling in his brain. He just began to realize that he had shot himself in the foot, when he looked down and his pain turned to horror.

Omaha Steve’s lap was on fire.

His scream rose an octave, and the words “I’m on fire!” were barely distinguishable from his blubbering and screeching. From the table where the man sat with his back to the door, a pretty redhead stood up with a pitcher of beer. She quickly and efficiently poured the beer into Steve’s lap, and then knelt beside him. “Relax,” she said calmly, “and let me take a look at your foot”. As she tended to his injury, the bartender called 911. Soon sirens approached, and the strange quiet of the bar gave way to the controlled chaos of the police and EMS response. Steve was quickly packaged, moved out to the ambulance, and transported to the hospital.

The police officer questioned everyone in the bar. The bartender said he had heard Steve call out the retired Nebraska football coach Frank Solich, then shoot himself. A patron who sat at the bar reported that Steve took a little too much time fishing around the front of his pants before he shot himself. The pretty redhead identified herself as a nursing student and said she was willing to take care of Steve’s foot, but the Good Samaritan law did not require her to look in Steve’s trousers for the source of the fire. One by one, the other people in the bar gave their statements; everyone in the room remembered the man with his back to the door saying "Looks like Omaha Steve shot himself in the foot, again."

During the interviews, the man with his back to the door remained silent. He did not turn around, but remained facing away from the door. The police officer sat down at the table to interview him. He was a big fella, dark-haired with grey at the temples, and dressed in a motorcycle vest and sleeveless t-shirt. His face was suntanned below the eyes, and pale above. The police officer recognized the man as a long-distance rider, and mentally connected him to the big blue motorcycle parked in front of the bar. “How do you know the victim, and how did you know he had shot himself in the foot? And what did you mean, ‘again’?”  

The man replied, “I’ve never met Steve Dawes before in my life, but I know him.” The officer heard a bit of West Texas in the cadence of the man’s voice, slow and deliberate. The officer asked again, “How?”, but the man didn’t respond. When the officer asked, “How did you know  without turning around that he had shot himself in the foot?” the man said simply, “It couldn’t have happened any other way. Steve always shoots himself in the foot, no matter what he does in life.” The officer realized he would get no more from this witness, closed his notebook, and left for the hospital.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 06:27:43 PM by Big Dog »
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 07:38:57 PM »
The bar will never be the same again,LOL.

MOLON LABE

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 08:46:09 PM »
The bar will never be the same again,LOL.

Not to mention OS's foot.  On the bright side, disability here we come!!

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 10:30:24 PM »
Lying on the cart in the Emergency Room, Steve was sweating and shaking. It had been nearly three hours since the last dose of Oxycontin had gone up his nose, and the ER doctor refused to give him anything stronger than Toradol for his pain. Steve looked down at the IV in his left wrist, at the handcuff on his right, and at the sheriff’s deputy sitting at the door to his exam room. Steve knew he wasn’t going anywhere, no matter how twitchy he got.

The paramedics had cut away his trousers in the ambulance, and they had found the Walther P38 still stuck in the front of his underpants. The slide was caught on a half-ejected shell casing, and the magazine was empty. With a few words on the radio and a quick stop, the ambulance took on another passenger- the Sarpy County sheriff’s deputy who was now sitting at the door. Steve was cuffed to the ambulance cot.

The doctor had examined Steve quickly but thoroughly when he arrived at the ER. No trauma alert needed here, just another customer at the Knife and Gun Club. Fortunately for Steve, the bullet had completely missed everything in his pants, and the burns were superficial. The wound to his foot did not appear to worry the ER staff, which gave Steve a small measure of relief.

As his mind cleared of the Oxycontin and adrenaline in his system, Steve started to put his thoughts together. The man who had sat with his back to the door at Bear’s Bar had to be one of the Conservatives, probably franksolich or Big Dog, if they weren’t the same man. I was this close, Steve told himself. He took a small bit of consolation from the memory that the man was sitting with the pretty redhead, and not with Marta.

The doctor came into his room, with two x-rays in hand. He clipped the films into a viewing box, and Steve saw the bones of his foot. The doctor said, “Mr. Dawes, it appears that you are a very lucky man. The bullet passed through your foot without breaking any bones, but you do have some soft tissue damage. We’re going to give you an IV antibiotic, take care of that burn, put you in an orthopedic boot, and give you a prescription for an antibiotic to take at home…” The doctor looked at the deputy sitting at the door, and chuckled. “Well, you know what I mean. You'll follow up with an orthopedic surgeon in a few days. The nurse will be in shortly to take care of you.” Steve said, “I need something for pain. Can you give me something?” The doctor told him the Toradol would have to do, and left for the nurse’s station to pass on the orders.

While the antibiotics ran into Steve’s arm, a nurse applied Silvadene cream to his burns and wrapped his foot in gauze and an Ace wrap. His foot was strapped into an orthopedic boot. The nurse fitted him with crutches, despite his protestation that he needed an electric wheelchair and motorized scooter. She patiently explained that the ER didn’t prescribe those things, and the exercise would be good for him. Steve looked glum; he really liked riding the motorized scooter. His face clouded up even more when he looked up and saw the police officer from the bar standing in the doorway.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline shadeaux

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 11:24:03 PM »
I am laughing SO hard I can barely type !

Some vagisil, an always maxi pad, two Bayer aspirin for Steve's boo boo should help.   :lmao:

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 11:30:07 PM »
I am laughing SO hard I can barely type !

Some vagisil, an always maxi pad, two Bayer aspirin for Steve's boo boo should help.   :lmao:

Personally I was hoping for a little more muzzle flash damage. Great story nonetheless.

Offline shadeaux

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 11:34:47 PM »
HILARIOUS !!!

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 03:44:28 AM »
Lucky for him it wasn't a .44 magnum hollow point
MOLON LABE