Author Topic: Tithing  (Read 5086 times)

Offline jendf

Tithing
« on: June 18, 2008, 11:19:17 AM »
Do you do tithe?

Do you give 10 percent of your income? Less or more?

Do you think giving anything less than 10 percent means your faith is weak?

Have you ever chosen between tithing and paying a bill?

I'm struggling right now. I don't make a lot of money as it is. I've dug myself a hole with some debts but I've been working to pay them off as quickly as possible. As I focus on paying my debts, I have been lax with my tithe. Part of me says God understands. Another part says I should be tithing even if that means not paying off my debts as soon as I would have hoped.

I'm really struggling here.

I'm curious what your thoughts on this are...

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Tithing
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 11:22:56 AM »
I dunno.

My own varies.

But what's intriguing about it is that not only do I not miss the money, but the more I give away (to the church specifically), it actually seems the more income I have.

This might be only an illusion, or it might in fact be the truth.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 02:05:15 PM »

But what's intriguing about it is that not only do I not miss the money, but the more I give away (to the church specifically), it actually seems the more income I have.

Amen.

But that seems to apply to other things then just money.

Jen,

If you have any spare time, you could give some of that to the church to help them out with a function...I think you would be great with the youth in the church....maybe take a troubled young teenager out jogging with you? Or do some big sister stuff....it's not just about money!

Just some ideas....don't beat yourself up about it....the ultimate tithe is to give all of ourselves to God...every day.

I do not always give money...but will give my time and labor instead...and that is not limited to within the walls of a church...just being nice to someone or helping them out is also part of the Lord's plan for our lives....

I know people that do odd jobs around the church in lieu of tithes as well....ask your pastor or lay leader for options, let him/her know about the burden God has placed on your heart....and continue to pray about it.

Pray without ceasing. 1 Thessalonians 5:17 KJV

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 02:06:46 PM by RobJohnson »

Offline Zeus

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 02:15:53 PM »
Do you do tithe?

Do you give 10 percent of your income? Less or more?

Do you think giving anything less than 10 percent means your faith is weak?

Have you ever chosen between tithing and paying a bill?

I'm struggling right now. I don't make a lot of money as it is. I've dug myself a hole with some debts but I've been working to pay them off as quickly as possible. As I focus on paying my debts, I have been lax with my tithe. Part of me says God understands. Another part says I should be tithing even if that means not paying off my debts as soon as I would have hoped.

I'm really struggling here.

I'm curious what your thoughts on this are...

That is an issue to be resolved between God, your heart & your wallet.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 02:20:30 PM »
I don't tithe, per se, but I work in a Catholic school and my wife works in a Catholic hospital. We both could go elsewhere for more money, but we like where we are.

I finally found the verse from the Bible that I was looking for. Maybe it'll help.

Hosea 6:6

For I delight in loyalty rather than sacrifice, And in the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.

Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 02:20:34 PM »
I find that tithing decimates me.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Jim

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 02:49:01 PM »
I'm pretty sure God will understand.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 05:16:33 PM »
I find I save money by not going to church.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 05:29:20 PM »
Seriously (although I am waiting for a response to my response), I give to causes I find to be honorable AND effective: CCF (we are sponsoring 2 kids), St. Jude's Children's Hospital, the local Midnight Mission (a hand, not a handout -- arguably the most effective investment I can make in my community), ASPCA and The Humane Society and a few others.

I do this because I know I am blessed and want to share God's blessings.  I also do it to improve the world we are in.

For the moment I get to decide.  If the dimocrats win, this type of largess will be at the point of a gun.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 05:41:45 PM »

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 06:42:18 PM »
Seriously, we have more after we give at least some.  I don't know how that works, but if we want money left at the end of the month, we give at the beginning.  On the other hand, and probably just in our case, if I write the check from my account, it only works so-so.  If Mr Smith writes a check for the same amount from his account, we are way farther ahead in the end. 

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 06:52:41 PM »
Seriously, we have more after we give at least some.  I don't know how that works, but if we want money left at the end of the month, we give at the beginning.  On the other hand, and probably just in our case, if I write the check from my account, it only works so-so.  If Mr Smith writes a check for the same amount from his account, we are way farther ahead in the end.

I'm never sure why things work out the way they do.

In early 2007, I got a statement from my church, itemizing my cash donations.

I didn't pay much attention to it, but some days later opened the envelope.

Forgive my French, but I saw the total, and thought, "What the fu--?"

I had no idea this was going on; it turned out I had given 21% of the gross income to the church.....and that didn't include donations (admittedly much lesser) to charitable causes.

And to be bluntly honest, I never missed the money.

The usual and standard caveat here, however; being single with no spouse, no dependents, and no roots, I am free to live a sort of casual, careless, devil-may-care life.  If I had responsibilities, I'd be an asshole, living like this.  Living this way suits me fine, but I would NOT recommend it for most other people.

And it doesn't make me any more virtuous than other people.

The donations go up-and-down, dependent upon whether or not I need a pick-up truckload of Friskie's cat food, or there's veterinary bills.  I suspect God wants me to take care of that first.

But after taking care of that, well, easy come, easy go.  It's a light sort of life.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 08:00:46 PM »
render unto ceasar...etc

I throw my money into the air on payday..what God wants he can grab, what he wants me to have will float back down to me...its an interesting arrangement I have with God but it appears to be working.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 08:19:53 PM »
render unto ceasar...etc

I throw my money into the air on payday..what God wants he can grab, what he wants me to have will float back down to me...its an interesting arrangement I have with God but it appears to be working.

Exactly.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jendf

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 02:13:46 PM »
Thanks for your input everyone. I really appreciate it.

I'm ashamed to admit that part of me wrote this in an attempt to assuage my guilt over not giving. I'm pretty sure He can see through that though.  :shucks: :innocent:

But you have all giving me some things to think about. And I thank you.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 10:42:06 AM »

I'm ashamed to admit that part of me wrote this in an attempt to assuage my guilt over not giving. I'm pretty sure He can see through that though.  :shucks: :innocent:

I give what I can when I can.

I honestly don't think there should be a set amount...you know...a minimum level that decides wheter you are a good Christian or not.

Think about the story of the old poor woman who was being chastised by the tax collectors at the Temple for not "giving" enough even though she was giving all she had.

Jesus admonished the collectors for that.

If all you can give is a dollar...give a dollar...if you can give a hundred times that...then do so.

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 02:28:12 PM »
render unto ceasar...etc

Try throwing it into a fire.  Anything that God thinks you should keep will not burn...He will protect it and return it to you.

:innocent:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »

I give what I can when I can.

I honestly don't think there should be a set amount...you know...a minimum level that decides wheter you are a good Christian or not.

Think about the story of the old poor woman who was being chastised by the tax collectors at the Temple for not "giving" enough even though she was giving all she had.

Jesus admonished the collectors for that.

If all you can give is a dollar...give a dollar...if you can give a hundred times that...then do so.

"Tithing" was invented by Joseph Smith to make sure that The People not only render to him their female children but also a set amount of their income.  Give the man points -- he knew how to fleece the herd.

Until . Ron Hubbard, Smith was the second best con man ever (muhammed, may he burn in hell forever between pigs was the first).