Author Topic: What Are You Reading?  (Read 16852 times)

Offline Alpha Mare

What Are You Reading?
« on: October 03, 2009, 06:21:47 PM »
I'm halfway through "The Forgotten Man."  Highly recommend.  So much about FDR ( and his advisors) that I didn't know.

I just started "The Empire of Wealth."  Very, very interesting.

I like books that make me curoius to learn more about the subject, or some aspect mentioned within.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: What Are You Reading?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 06:46:21 PM »
I'm reading a biography of Will Rogers (1879-1935) at the moment; one of those "by chance" things.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 06:47:12 PM »
I'm reading Bernard Cornwell's latest bit of historical fiction Agincourt. I love his stuff.

He wrote the famous Sharpe series, which I have not read. He also wrote an excellent series on Anglo-Saxon England around the time of King Alfred. He is very good at writing large-scale battles.

Just finished reading Some Ken Bruen stuff, about an irish private investigator. What a great writer.

Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 07:07:21 PM »
Just read The Arms of Krupp about the German arms maufacturing family. No reading Inside Hitler's Bunker by Joachim Fest.

I only read German history.
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 07:10:29 PM »
I only read German history.

That's an area I haven't read yet.  Any pre-WWII recommendations?
    - Charlton Heston

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 07:17:42 PM »
That's an area I haven't read yet.  Any pre-WWII recommendations?

There's a book called Weimar Germany : promise and tragedy   by Eric D. Weitz about Germany between WWI and WWII thats pretty good. Many libraries carry it.

I rarely buy books. I prefer to use the library.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 07:24:56 PM »
Just read The Arms of Krupp about the German arms maufacturing family.

That's a monstrously large book, and interesting, although the last 100 or so pages were boring.  It was interesting all through the Krupp family history until one reached the 1960s decadent playboy gayboy son of Alfried Krupp, after which it went downhill.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 07:27:47 PM »
There's a book called Weimar Germany : promise and tragedy   by Eric D. Weitz about Germany between WWI and WWII thats pretty good. Many libraries carry it.

I rarely buy books. I prefer to use the library.

Reviews sound good, thanks!
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 07:30:50 PM »
One of the last books I read was Wilson's War: How Woodrow Wilson's Great Blunder Led to Hitler, Lenin, Stalin, and World War II.  Lots of pertinent information and historical perspective, but the correlation between the individual actions and events that led up to World War II were not entirely plausible.  All in all, a decent read if only for the historical data.

I picked up a couple book on the British period of India but didn't have time to finish both of them.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 07:33:22 PM »
That's a monstrously large book, and interesting, although the last 100 or so pages were boring.  It was interesting all through the Krupp family history until one reached the 1960s decadent playboy gayboy son of Alfried Krupp, after which it went downhill.

Yep. He wanted to design jewlery.  :o Guess he took after his ancestor who liked to play with boys on Capri.  

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 07:38:32 PM »
Guess he took after his ancestor who liked to play with boys on Capri.

Yeah, his great-grandfather, during the last part of the 1800s.

But the difference was, at least his decadent great-grandfather built something, while this flabby descendant lived only for hedonism, consuming capital rather than creating weath.

It sort of reminds one of the primitives.

One wonders if he's still alive--Arms of Krupp was after all written a long time ago--but if he is, he probably weighs 300+ pounds, sags a lot, and wears perfume.  At least that's the way he seemed headed, when the book was written.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 07:45:20 PM »
I finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy last night.  It was interesting.  He also wrote All The Pretty Horses and No Country For Old MenThe Road was a dark book, set after some sort of apocalypse (they never exactly explain what happened).  A man and his son are trying to go South to escape the cold, but most of the survivors have turned into cannibals and they have to dodge them all of the way.  It is written in a sort of stream of consciousness type style.  I liked it a lot.

I am also reading the John Sandford, Lucas Davenport series.  I am almost done with the current books.  Good crime novels with very likable, human sorts of characters.

Next is James Patterson's newest Alex Cross novel.  They are always good.

Then I will be starting on the Dean Koontz Frankenstein novels.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 07:48:18 PM »
They're working on a movie version of The Road

I'm not really looking forward to it.  No Country For Old Men wasn't bad, but Joel and Ethan Cohen seem to have a bit more talent than the usual junk from people like Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 07:55:59 PM »
mamacags:
I am also reading the John Sandford, Lucas Davenport series.  I am almost done with the current books.  Good crime novels with very likable, human sorts of characters.

Next is James Patterson's newest Alex Cross novel.  They are always good.

Then I will be starting on the Dean Koontz Frankenstein novels.

I've read quite a few of  the Davenport series, and some of his other books. Also most of the Alex Cross series by Patterson and other.

I have the third of the Frankenstein books, but haven't started it yet.  I'm currently reading the latest of the "Odd Thomas" series by Koontz.

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 07:56:44 PM »
But the difference was, at least his decadent great-grandfather built something, while this flabby descendant lived only for hedonism, consuming capital rather than creating weath.

That's what often happens to characterless people born to great wealth. They're given everything since childhood and fail to develop a sense of humility and gratitude. I come from a wealthy family but I know how fortunate I am and my parents instilled in me the desire to make it on my own. When I inherit my money at 40 I'll probably give a large portion to Vets organizations and charity. I don't want the hassle of having money. People with big houses and fancy cars don't impress me. I'd rather sit down and have a beer with a CMH or Purple Heart recipient than some rich man.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 08:08:26 PM »
That's what often happens to characterless people born to great wealth. They're given everything since childhood and fail to develop a sense of humility and gratitude.

Witness the clueless offspring of the Rich and Famous.
    - Charlton Heston

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 09:19:57 PM »
I"m reading Dinesh D'Souza's "What's so Great about Christianity."  I'm also reading one of Mr Smith's grandfather's books, "The Woman of Tekoah," a book of sermons.  For fun, I'm rereading a Mercedes Lackey fantasy and a James Herriot book. 

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 09:48:22 PM »
I"m reading Dinesh D'Souza's "What's so Great about Christianity."  I'm also reading one of Mr Smith's grandfather's books, "The Woman of Tekoah," a book of sermons.  For fun, I'm rereading a Mercedes Lackey fantasy and a James Herriot book. 

You read sermons too?

One of the best finds I ever found was a three-volume collection of sermons by a Methodist minister in northern Iowa circa 1890-1920.  I got all three of them for fifty cents, in a bargain bin at a used bookstore.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Flame

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 10:02:45 PM »
The newest book in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon...can't recall the title at the moment and I'm too lazy to go get the book... :tongue:.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 10:43:09 PM »
finally found a forum not listed on the sidebar

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 10:46:19 PM »
I just read "One Second After"
and
"The Collectors" by Davis Baldacci

and I am reading a little book called:

"Little Commonwealth: Family Life in the Plymouth Colony", published around 1980 by John Demos.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 05:54:35 AM »
  "The Traffickers" by W.E.B. Griffin and his son William E. Butterworth 111.. A kind of interesting read in wikipedia..

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2009, 06:10:40 AM »
I was reading along with my granddaughter the Nancy Drew Series when I by chapter 2 realised these books had been changed dramatically.

I rummaged about in boxes and found my Aunts books printed in the 1930's.  What a difference, The books for sale today have been cleansed, politically correct changed.

We are now reading the ORIGIONAL Nancy Drew, no mention of drugs, drinking or cigarettes.

Fortunately I also saved the Hardy Boys she collected, and Trixie Belden storeys.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2009, 06:31:15 AM »
  "The Traffickers" by W.E.B. Griffin and his son William E. Butterworth 111.. A kind of interesting read in wikipedia..

Me I am rereading the biography's of ARM and HAMMER.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2009, 07:53:36 AM »
I was reading along with my granddaughter the Nancy Drew Series when I by chapter 2 realised these books had been changed dramatically.

I rummaged about in boxes and found my Aunts books printed in the 1930's.  What a difference, The books for sale today have been cleansed, politically correct changed.

We are now reading the ORIGIONAL Nancy Drew, no mention of drugs, drinking or cigarettes.

Fortunately I also saved the Hardy Boys she collected, and Trixie Belden storeys.

Any Bobbsey Twins?

I devoured those when I was a kid, even though they were like 75 years old by then.
apres moi, le deluge