Author Topic: Pelosi: At-risk Dems back drilling  (Read 1793 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Pelosi: At-risk Dems back drilling
« on: August 05, 2008, 09:12:43 PM »
California Democrat Nancy Pelosi may be trying to save the planet — but the rank and file in her party increasingly are just trying to save their political hides when it comes to gas prices as Republicans apply more and more rhetorical muscle.

But what looks like intraparty tension on the surface is part of an intentional strategy in which Pelosi takes the heat on energy policy, while behind the scenes she’s encouraging vulnerable Democrats to express their independence if it helps them politically, according to Democratic aides on and off Capitol Hill.

Pelosi’s gambit rests on one big assumption: that Democrats will own Washington after the election and will be able to craft a sweeping energy policy that is heavy on conservation and fuel alternatives while allowing for some new oil drilling. Democrats see no need to make major concessions on energy policy with a party poised to lose seats in both chambers in just three months — even if recess-averse Republicans continue to pound away on the issue.

“The reality is we will have a new president in three months, and what Bush and the Republicans are trying to do amounts to a land grab for the oil companies,” said one senior House Democratic aide involved with party strategy. “I don’t think we have to give in at all pre-election — we have many more options postelection.”

snip

Democratic House aides say the energy agenda has been carefully gamed out in strategy sessions, and Pelosi always intended to take heat on gas prices while tacitly encouraging more vulnerable Democrats to publicly disagree with her and show their independence.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12304.html

Uh huh.  :whatever:
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Pelosi: At-risk Dems back drilling
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 09:14:11 PM »
Anyone who didn't see this one coming can't see the obvious.

I am lovin' it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 09:32:42 PM »
they've been double dipping in the bucket of stupid again! Pelosi is standing on her head!

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 09:39:16 PM »
So this is all a grand plan being played out as envisioned months ago by the brilliant Ms. Pelosi.  Yeah sure.

I think is very gratifying how the democrats think they are about to steamroll over Washington.  They think they are about to relive the glory days. 

They are about to fall on their asses.  When the nation is mad at you and laughing at you at the same time, it ain't the season to be counting your unhatched chickens.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 06:41:40 AM »
Our Congress-moonbat is "at risk", but she's still pushing the "inflate your tires" crap.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Lauri

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 08:14:54 AM »
So this is all a grand plan being played out as envisioned months ago by the brilliant Ms. Pelosi.  Yeah sure.

I think is very gratifying how the democrats think they are about to steamroll over Washington.  They think they are about to relive the glory days. 

They are about to fall on their asses.  When the nation is mad at you and laughing at you at the same time, it ain't the season to be counting your unhatched chickens.

every article i see on energy issues lately has thousands of comments on them; and about 98 percent of those comments say "DRILL NOW" in them. i have to believe the American people have already decided who has to go this next round. And Pelosi's days are numbered.

anytime Dems run away, which seems to be their usual tactic, they get trounced at election time. this was a supremely bad move on her part and it will cost Obama the White House.

unless everyone inflates their tires and that pulls us out of this whole mess.  :lmao:

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 08:43:31 AM »

every article i see on energy issues lately has thousands of comments on them; and about 98 percent of those comments say "DRILL NOW" in them. i have to believe the American people have already decided who has to go this next round. And Pelosi's days are numbered.

anytime Dems run away, which seems to be their usual tactic, they get trounced at election time. this was a supremely bad move on her part and it will cost Obama the White House.

unless everyone inflates their tires and that pulls us out of this whole mess.  :lmao:

"We cannot inflate ourselves out of this mess."

-Lord Undies, August 2008

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 04:45:41 PM »
If that is her paln then she's dumber then a row of fence post. This idea is so stupid even Dr. Evil would laugh at it.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 05:59:06 PM »

I think Rush Limbaugh read this before his show today (and he didn't mention me).

Offline Lauri

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 09:29:35 AM »

I think Rush Limbaugh read this before his show today (and he didn't mention me).

lately, any time i tune in to his show, I just expect to hear three hours of gleeful, stupifying laughter.. and nothing else..  :-)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 10:23:29 AM »
That's because Operation Chaos has yet to reach its conclusion.

Democrats--we stand on principles, unless we need to violate them to keep our power.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford