Author Topic: Loading Speed - Yay!  (Read 14897 times)

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Loading Speed - Yay!
« on: January 13, 2008, 09:29:14 AM »
For some reason the loading speed of pages has been atrocious, making it extremely arduous for me to read and post on the board.  I checked in today and was very pleasantly surprised to find everything loading and showing at the full speed.  Don't know what changed, but I'm overjoyed that it did!

:cheersmate: 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Loading Speed - Yay!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 04:58:44 PM »
You know, I wonder if the "shout box" might have something to do with it--but for the record, I'm neutral or indifferent about the "shout box," which seems to be both popular and unpopular.

I'm on wireless, Windows, and Explorer, if that means anything.

When I first log on, conservativescave seems to not go, not start, for a few seconds, and from appearances (which might or might not be deceiving), it seems it's because the "shout box" is loading.

After that, I zip and zap through the site speedily and effortlessly.

It's not a big deal to me, but it is noticeable.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 07:08:45 PM »
Well, it does do that initially for me now, but that's quite tolerable as long as it runs briskly once it's up; it was doing every f&$@in' time I changed a page before today, though.  Running on DSL, XP, and IE6 FWIW. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 10:02:38 PM »
No. the speed is intolerable.

Do we need a begathon to get money for more squirrels?

In the last few days, I have been getting response times in the minutes.  And I pop over to other sites and check.

This is getting frustrating.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 10:24:46 PM »
I will be more than willing to donate to help purchase a server.  This is driving me crazier than I already am.  LOL
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 11:39:49 PM »
Yeah, it's going pretty slow here. When I first log onto CC, it seems to take a full minute before everything loads. Might be the shoutbox, because that's what is last to load.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 10:08:53 AM »
WE and I talked about this situation earlier. Almost always when you have slow page loads, you can ping the site with ease, meaning there is no problem getting to the server. This indicates that there is A) A software issue, or B) a hardware issue such as processor resources. What could be causing it is the fact that we're on a shared server. What other sites are on the server? That I can't answer. So, until I purchase a server dedicated to this site, and USMILNET, I have sent Dream Host the following inquiry:

Hello, I've noticed numerous times the site becomes slow or the connection to the database is lost. Almost every time I can ping the IP with no problems whatsoever. After consulting with a fellow Admin of my site we've concluded that this must be a software issue and/or hardware issue with the server. Most likely, and since it's a shared server, other sites on the server are consuming most of the resources. I'm assuming it could be the processors. Is there any way that I could get my site moved to another server? One that's on a server with other sites that aren't as resource-intensive? It seems like I'm sharing a server with sites running hogs such as Java apps, etc.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 10:25:54 AM »
WE and I talked about this situation earlier. Almost always when you have slow page loads, you can ping the site with ease, meaning there is no problem getting to the server. This indicates that there is A) A software issue, or B) a hardware issue such as processor resources. What could be causing it is the fact that we're on a shared server. What other sites are on the server? That I can't answer. So, until I purchase a server dedicated to this site, and USMILNET, I have sent Dream Host the following inquiry:

Hello, I've noticed numerous times the site becomes slow or the connection to the database is lost. Almost every time I can ping the IP with no problems whatsoever. After consulting with a fellow Admin of my site we've concluded that this must be a software issue and/or hardware issue with the server. Most likely, and since it's a shared server, other sites on the server are consuming most of the resources. I'm assuming it could be the processors. Is there any way that I could get my site moved to another server? One that's on a server with other sites that aren't as resource-intensive? It seems like I'm sharing a server with sites running hogs such as Java apps, etc.

Have them check to see if there are intra-site firewalls between the web servers and the DB server. That happened to me once when I had a system that dynamically reconnected -- the firewall would kill the connection after a certain length of time of inactivity (depending on the caching the definition of "inactivity" may not match observations).  This was on a multi-million dollar implementation, so it is possible anywhere.

Just an idea.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 06:35:51 PM »
Response. They're STILL f'n jerking me around.  :censored:

New information from the Admin team points to network problems with your
filer (titanic) as being the reason for downtime/high server loads. They
are working on this as we speak and hopes to get things under control
soon. Until then, we will do all we can to maximize performance despite
the situation.

Thanks for being patient!

Thanks!
Jeff T.

By the way, I was done being patient weeks ago, jackass.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 06:58:31 PM »
Can't you get dedicated hosting?  This is unreal.  How much does server space cost?

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 01:11:54 PM »
You know, I wonder if the "shout box" might have something to do with it--but for the record, I'm neutral or indifferent about the "shout box," which seems to be both popular and unpopular.

I'm on wireless, Windows, and Explorer, if that means anything.

When I first log on, conservativescave seems to not go, not start, for a few seconds, and from appearances (which might or might not be deceiving), it seems it's because the "shout box" is loading.

After that, I zip and zap through the site speedily and effortlessly.

It's not a big deal to me, but it is noticeable.

I've been on a couple of sites that had to shut down the SB because it sucked up to much resources having to refresh so often.