Author Topic: cooking shows  (Read 8583 times)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
cooking shows
« on: September 14, 2010, 10:48:31 AM »
  I have noticed that on the cooking shows seldom do they show the cooks tasting as they go along.

"Chopped" is an example, for all that prize money I do not know how the contestants can cook anything with out knowing when to adjust the seasoning.

Some of the best cook in my family were my grand mothers.  They both tasted everything from raw pie crust to sauces every few minutes.

By the time dinner was ready they just took a small plate of food as they had tasted so much they were almost full.

Another complaint I have are the Chiefs that have Salt and pepper in bowls and just add a handfull of salt and chuck in to the food.    Good grief they have no idea how much salt they are using and for people on a low salt diet---not good.

Does anyone else have any complaints about these shows.?

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: cooking shows
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 11:27:11 AM »
An experienced cook can just know how much to put in. I can measure out an amount of seasoning into my palm and it'll be right at 1 teaspoon.

My only beefs with any of these shows are people trying to talk with their mouths full and the rampant gluttony demonstrated on a few of them. DDD is one that encompasses BOTH.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 12:05:29 PM »
I don't ever measure spices, or seasonings. I'm like Thor, I know how much to shake into my palm.

I'm a taster too. I put in initially what I want, taste, add more as needed.

And I do watch my salt intake.

I love Chopped!!
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 12:08:15 PM »
I don't ever measure spices, or seasonings. I'm like Thor, I know how much to shake into my palm.

I'm a taster too. I put in initially what I want, taste, add more as needed.

And I do watch my salt intake.

I love Chopped!!

Me three, but I do use a pepper mill and a small tupperware container that contains kosher salt. These I just eyeball.

I most definitely taste, especially with sauces.

Chopped - the guy that officiates that thing irritates the shit out of me.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
Which is why I like Emeril.  Eyeball it, then add more of what you like.

And sorry, vesta--we DO need salt to live.  Not tons of it, mind you, but some.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 07:42:01 PM »
Which is why I like Emeril.  Eyeball it, then add more of what you like.

And sorry, vesta--we DO need salt to live.  Not tons of it, mind you, but some.

This I know Sparky, salt is necessary for life and has iodide added.

A method of payment for wages at one time it spawned those saying that some people are not worth their salt.

Anyone  know why some old wives tales say that if one spills salt they must throw it over their left shoulder.?  I have seen Rachel Ray do this a few times.

My Hubby seldom puts salt on anything and I put salt on most everything, watermelon, cantelope, grape fruit's, all veggies.   My complaint was the huge amount of salt some of the Chefs use.

Then I wonder how the cooks in New York can cook without using it not to mention not using Lard. I hear Mrs. O has it in for fried food and wants french fries to be replaced with carrot sticks.  I can see french fried carrot sticks with salt but has anyone checked in to the number of adults and children that choke to death on raw carrots each year?

I say ban raw carrots for the sake of our children.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 08:05:52 PM »
This I know Sparky, salt is necessary for life and has iodide added.

A method of payment for wages at one time it spawned those saying that some people are not worth their salt.

Anyone  know why some old wives tales say that if one spills salt they must throw it over their left shoulder.?  I have seen Rachel Ray do this a few times.

My Hubby seldom puts salt on anything and I put salt on most everything, watermelon, cantelope, grape fruit's, all veggies.   My complaint was the huge amount of salt some of the Chefs use.

Then I wonder how the cooks in New York can cook without using it not to mention not using Lard. I hear Mrs. O has it in for fried food and wants french fries to be replaced with carrot sticks.  I can see french fried carrot sticks with salt but has anyone checked in to the number of adults and children that choke to death on raw carrots each year?

I say ban raw carrots for the sake of our children.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 12:18:01 AM »
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Nooooo, not carrots....I like carrots!!!   :hammer:

Ban peas.

:tongue:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 07:36:00 AM »

Ban canned peas.

FIFY

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 03:28:22 PM »

Ban peas.

Nope--canned green beans.  There's just something about them that makes me puke.  Ever since I was a kid I couldn't eat them.  Fresh ones are a different story.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 03:33:51 PM »
The annoying thing about Chopped is the whiny judge who doesn't like onions.  If you don't like a food to the extent that it interferes with your ability to eat random meals, then don't be a judge on a cookery show.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 03:35:57 PM »
The annoying thing about Chopped is the whiny judge who doesn't like onions.  If you don't like a food to the extent that it interferes with your ability to eat random meals, then don't be a judge on a cookery show.

I can't stand the presenter on that show.  Probably because he looks and sounds like Keith Olbermann.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 03:41:29 PM »
I can't stand the presenter on that show.  Probably because he looks and sounds like Keith Olbermann.

He used to be on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy I think.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 03:43:12 PM »
He used to be on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy I think.

MSNBC, Bravo... same difference.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 03:47:36 PM »
MSNBC, Bravo... same difference.

Yup.  Pretty much.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 04:16:19 PM »
Can't stand Jamie Oliver.....I just wanna cut his lips off....
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 04:18:19 PM »
If that Rachael Ray bitch says "Yummy!" one more time, I'm gonna toss my remote through the damned screen....

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 04:38:05 PM »
If that Rachael Ray bitch says "Yummy!" one more time, I'm gonna toss my remote through the damned screen....

Uh.  I think it's yum-mo.  Why don't you change the channel???   :whatever:

I don't like her either, btw.  I am more of a Gordon Ramsey/Mike Symon kind of girl, but Alton Brown is pretty cool.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 04:43:15 PM »
Uh.  I think it's yum-mo.  Why don't you change the channel???   :whatever:

I don't like her either, btw.  I am more of a Gordon Ramsey/Mike Symon kind of girl, but Alton Brown is pretty cool.

I have to pry it out of Mrs. E's hands first, but we're equally scrambling to get that bitch off the tube.

Your choices are good for what they do. Giada is a hawt little number and easier on the eyes than are the guys, and Mrs. E enjoys the Barefoot Contessa.

I kinda like Two Fat Ladies meself, though one of 'em croaked a few years ago - the smoker, as I recall.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 04:51:45 PM »
I have to pry it out of Mrs. E's hands first, but we're equally scrambling to get that bitch off the tube.

Your choices are good for what they do. Giada is a hawt little number and easier on the eyes than are the guys, and Mrs. E enjoys the Barefoot Contessa.

I kinda like Two Fat Ladies meself, though one of 'em croaked a few years ago - the smoker, as I recall.

I used to love Two Fat Ladies, and Justin Wilson, and the old Jacques and Julia show~  Their scrambled egg cook off was fabulous!

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 05:17:16 PM »

Only if I get to her first and throat-punch her the next time I hear her say, "E-V-O-O..."

Uh, Rach, you no-talent hack?  It's called EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL.  Say it, I know you can.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 05:23:18 PM »
I'll be glad when I can turn on Food TV and not see Bobby Flay.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 06:56:33 PM »
Rachel Ray drives me nuts not only with EVOO, but her use of bastardized words like, "Sammies" & "Delish". Stupid bitch can't use a REAL words.........  :loser:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 07:21:04 PM »
I'll be glad when I can turn on Food TV and not see Bobby Flay.

I hear ya but when I google recipes, some of the best I ever have used end up being his or Tyler Florence's  YAK! 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 07:22:06 PM »
I like Tyler Florence.  He does have some really good recipes, but his show comes on in the middle of the afternoon and I never see it.