Author Topic: pigged out  (Read 4050 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
pigged out
« on: November 10, 2009, 04:47:43 PM »
Some hours ago, after returning home from the grocery store in town, I took out a 16-ounce container of pure sour cream (the only thing in it being "Grade A cultured cream") thinking I would have just some of it--it's a lot of sour cream, after all--but then I lost control and ate the whole thing.

Losing control when eating is not one of my weaknesses.

I have a suspicion that when things like this happen to people, it's because their body is screaming for a particular nutrient or element in that food.  For example, those who allege to "crave" chocolate are really craving some nutrient or element in chocolate, and not the chocolate itself.

I wonder what this body is missing, in eating that sour cream as if it were ice cream.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: pigged out
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 04:54:06 PM »
Frank, it might not be that complicated.

Maybe you were just hungry, and that's all you had in the fridge. Either that or all your knives and forks were in the dishwasher, dirty. And you had the sour cream and a spoon.

Either way, I hope it was good. You got a pretty good dose of Vitamin D, and that's a good thing.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 05:06:39 PM »
I had just gotten back from the grocery store, Eupher, sir.

The refrigerator's stocked with six pounds of real cheddar cheese, two gallons of real milk, two dozen eggs, six loaves of extra-heavy-duty coarse fiber bread, a half gallon of vanilla ice cream, two pounds of real Swiss cheese, a new jar of real mayonnaise, a five-pound bag of oranges, a pound and a half of real butter, a pound of frozen corn, a pound of frozen peas, six one-quart jars of real tomato juice, one new bottle of real blue cheese salad dressing, nine containers of real yogurt (various flavors), a one-pound bag of salted pretzels, and a new box of 100% bran flakes.

Plus all the stuff in there before.

After your post, I went and took inventory of all that I had gotten.

I can't figure out why, with this bounty of other stuff, I chose to chow down on the sour cream, which I had intended to use tomorrow, not today. 
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 05:18:33 PM »
Probably a Vitamin D deficiency...you take multi-vitamins or anything of that sort, coach?
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 05:46:49 PM »
Probably a Vitamin D deficiency...you take multi-vitamins or anything of that sort, coach?

Nope, no chemical vitamins, but I avoid the sun a lot.

I'm not too concerned about it; I just thought it really odd that I automatically without thinking did that.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline debk

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 06:50:45 PM »
I have always believed that if there's something I'm craving....just go ahead and eat it...cause I'll eat everything else in the meantime to avoid it and still end up eating it.  :thatsright:

Frank...I wouldn't worry about it...though I guess it a good thing you aren't lactose intollerant...especially since you seem to have bought a preponderance of dairy products... :-)

Since I know your age....it wouldn't hurt you to start taking a multi-vitamin. One a Day brand makes one specifically for men.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 09:58:40 PM »
One a Day brand makes one specifically for men.

That's what I take.

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 10:22:30 AM »
Bacon
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline debk

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 10:37:01 AM »
That's what I take.

I take one of the ones for women. It's easier than taking this that and the other thing separately.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 12:25:40 PM »
It's better to take liquid or chelated vitamins. Those tablets, like one a day, etc become little more than toilet fodder. I take 6-8 drops of liquid Vitamin D almost daily. Other vitamins are usually chelated or readily absorbed.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 04:46:48 PM »
That's what I take.

Well, here it is, circa 5:00 p.m. Wednesday, and I sit in front of the computer munching on salted pretzels.  I never got back to town to get another container of sour cream, and pretzels are nothing, without being dipped into sour cream.

I suppose I can dip them into the real blue cheese salad dressing, though.

That's an idea.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline debk

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 04:53:05 PM »
Well, here it is, circa 5:00 p.m. Wednesday, and I sit in front of the computer munching on salted pretzels.  I never got back to town to get another container of sour cream, and pretzels are nothing, without being dipped into sour cream.

I suppose I can dip them into the real blue cheese salad dressing, though.

That's an idea.

Pretzels are good in blue cheese dressing.  :drool:

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 04:57:26 PM »

Pretzels are good in blue cheese dressing.  :drool:

You know, madam, it's like dipping french fries into ketchup; I've always wondered why people do that, when the choice of dipping french fries into other stuff is even more appetizing. 

I myself don't make salads--the soil scientist, who's getting married in December (in Maryland, but not to franksolich), makes them when she's here, but I buy salad dressing (not necessarily just blue cheese) for use with french fries.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline debk

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 05:00:28 PM »
You know, madam, it's like dipping french fries into ketchup; I've always wondered why people do that, when the choice of dipping french fries into other stuff is even more appetizing. 

I myself don't make salads--the soil scientist, who's getting married in December (in Maryland, but not to franksolich), makes them when she's here, but I buy salad dressing (not necessarily just blue cheese) for use with french fries.

I don't dip french fries in ketchup....yuk!

mayonnaise, garlic peppercorn, ranch dressing, honey mustard are my usual choices....

onion rings get dipped in honey mustard.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 09:50:13 PM »
Careful, coach. This is how the Las Vegas Behemoth got his start.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 09:51:13 PM »
It's better to take liquid or chelated vitamins. Those tablets, like one a day, etc become little more than toilet fodder. I take 6-8 drops of liquid Vitamin D almost daily. Other vitamins are usually chelated or readily absorbed.

I use them as supplements, mostly, to an already vitamin-enriched diet. I don't take them as a primary vitamin source.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:25:47 PM by Odin's Hand »

Offline kenth

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 02:34:42 AM »
I had just gotten back from the grocery store, Eupher, sir.

The refrigerator's stocked with six pounds of real cheddar cheese, two gallons of real milk, two dozen eggs, six loaves of extra-heavy-duty coarse fiber bread, a half gallon of vanilla ice cream, two pounds of real Swiss cheese, a new jar of real mayonnaise, a five-pound bag of oranges, a pound and a half of real butter, a pound of frozen corn, a pound of frozen peas, six one-quart jars of real tomato juice, one new bottle of real blue cheese salad dressing, nine containers of real yogurt (various flavors), a one-pound bag of salted pretzels, and a new box of 100% bran flakes.

Plus all the stuff in there before.

After your post, I went and took inventory of all that I had gotten.

I can't figure out why, with this bounty of other stuff, I chose to chow down on the sour cream, which I had intended to use tomorrow, not today. 

Maybe it's not that the sour cream was specifically chosen for a reason different than the other dairy you have stocked. It may have been the first one you picked up, and may be related to vitamin D or calcium. You may have well sat there and chowed down six pounds of cheddar had it been closer to the front.  :-)

Or, maybe the sour cream was just very tasty and you zoned out.  :-)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 05:07:42 AM »
Maybe it's not that the sour cream was specifically chosen for a reason different than the other dairy you have stocked. It may have been the first one you picked up, and may be related to vitamin D or calcium. You may have well sat there and chowed down six pounds of cheddar had it been closer to the front.  :-)

Or, maybe the sour cream was just very tasty and you zoned out.  :-)

Smell does it for me.  If it has been a while since I have eaten cucumbers, tangerines grapefruit, lemons or garlic, I could walk into the lunch room at work and crave what ever the people were eating.  Hot rolls with real butter, warm baked yeast bread, Cinnamon rolls, nutmeg, or cloves.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 03:02:17 PM »
I crave eggs at least 3 times a week.  Also green beans, canned and cold.  I never eat more than a few but I think about eating them constantly until I open a can.

After I get my fix I'm okay.

I also crave ice cream in the winter.  Any flavor. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.