Author Topic: Gardens...who's planting this year?  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Flame

Gardens...who's planting this year?
« on: March 06, 2009, 09:23:50 AM »
And what are you planting?

My goal is to start a small gaeden this year...grew  few hings in containers last year, but want to branch out.

Planning on zuchini, cukes, tomatos, peas and lettuces.  maybe throw some jalapenos in there for the hubby.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Gardens...who's planting this year?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 09:29:40 AM »
My "planting" was done decades, generations, ago.

I suspect the usual will sprout up; tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet corn, catnip, whatever those all those flowers are (there's lots of different varieties).

I usually do "pre-emptive action" on weeds, but otherwise leave it alone to grow and develop as it naturally wishes.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 10:16:50 AM »
Our area is really, really crappy for anything other than Azaleas, Rhododendrons, Camelias........ect. It's dry shade w/ red dirt. :banghead:
 Still, I try wine barrel halves for veggies. It seems that if I keep the barrels near a retaining wall in the back yard/deck the heat helps to get tomatos to actually produce some fruit. Not much, but what we do get is really, really good.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 10:30:11 AM »
Will probably do some tomatoes, multiple species of hot peppers, okra, yellow squash, cantaloupe, and seedless watermelon.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 10:32:47 AM »
I am again,will have potatoes,squash,sweet corn,peppers,watermelons and tomatos for a start.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 06:29:40 AM »
I'll have some cayennes.  Have enough farmers around and the yard is to small
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 07:42:30 AM »
Planted apple and cherry trees along with a couple of blueberry and raspberry bushes the summer I moved in.  Planting a few more berry bushes and some strawberries right after last frost.

Doing the usual veggies--zuchinni, peas, tomatoes, and onions.  Also making an herb garden.  I've done that before and it's a lot tastier (and cheaper) than paying for the fresh stuff in the grocery store.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 07:56:18 AM »
Tomatoes, peppers, strawberries...

And I'm planting grape vines in the back yard for the first time!
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 08:16:12 AM »
I have had my garden reorganised over the winter so I'm a bit behind and will have to buy more plants than usual rather than growing a lot of stuff from seed.  Apart from the tomatoes, peppers, peas and beans, onions, garlic and herbs I am going to experiment with melon.  The permanent stuff I have is mostly fruit (raspberries and blueberries) and a cherry tree which produced exactly 2 cherries last year. :(

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 09:39:04 AM »
And I'm planting grape vines in the back yard for the first time!

I hate you.  Right on the edge of Zones 4 and 5.  Guess how well grapes would do here?  Yeah, yeah, I know--5 through 8.  I'll believe it when Homey Depot starts carrying them.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 10:05:57 AM »
I've got potatoes, onion, garlic, and some herbs already planted and growing well.  I'd like to plant some tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapenos, cabbage, broccoli, and a few other plants put in as well, but somebody opened the window near my seedling and left it open, and they froze  :thatsright:  I'll have to start some new seeds today. 

I also have a couple of blueberry plants, some strawberries, some small citrus trees, and a large Fig tree that was very productive last year. 

Offline debk

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 10:41:35 AM »
The deer got to our new apple and peach trees that we planted for cross pollination to the existing ones. So we will have to get new ones this year.

M does the veggie garden and I do the flower gardens.

I'm expanding them for some dumb reason  :thatsright:....and slowly switching to almost all perennials. Have acquired 2 new yellow climbing rose bushes for the either side of the living room front window, and am looking for some yellow knockout rose bushes. Found some at Lowe's about 3 weeks ago and didn't buy them  :banghead: :banghead: ...haven't found any yellow ones since.  :censored: Have also bought some red and white peonie tubers, yellow and white gladiola bulbs, and some "mix" bags that I found at Home Depot of red, yellow and white flowers (dahlias, daisies, other "stuff"). Hoping that the red and different colors of yellow daylillies finally grow up this year. I'm lookin' for something to keep the deer eating something other than my flueres. :thatsright:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 10:49:05 AM »
Weed control is my biggest problem,need to find a safe herbacide to incorperate when I plow the garden.
I haven`t researched yet and think that what the farmers here use for weed control in the cornfields probably isn`t suitable for a garden and/or the "good" plants.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 12:25:52 PM »
The deer got to our new apple and peach trees that we planted for cross pollination to the existing ones. So we will have to get new ones this year.

I'm expanding them for some dumb reason  :thatsright:....and slowly switching to almost all perennials. Have acquired 2 new yellow climbing rose bushes for the either side of the living room front window, and am looking for some yellow knockout rose bushes. Found some at Lowe's about 3 weeks ago and didn't buy them  :banghead: :banghead: ...haven't found any yellow ones since.  :censored: Have also bought some red and white peonie tubers, yellow and white gladiola bulbs, and some "mix" bags that I found at Home Depot of red, yellow and white flowers (dahlias, daisies, other "stuff"). Hoping that the red and different colors of yellow daylillies finally grow up this year. I'm lookin' for something to keep the deer eating something other than my flueres. :thatsright:

The only thing deer won't eat is what they don't like...........that week. We can't plant much in the front yard because the "deer proof" stuff................isn't.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Tess

• Frivolous Fun!
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 12:51:11 PM »
I am actually going in with another family.  Since I am completely clueless with gardening we are using my land and their expertise!  I am so excited!  We are planting a TON!  I hope at least half of it takes!  I can't wait!  Now if I can get the motivation to go out and clear the spot so they can roto-till.  HAHA!
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.

Sometimes I aim to please, but mostly I just shoot to kill.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 05:47:32 PM »
My "garden" is a five-foot strip of grass between the back of my building and the retaining wall behind it.  I might try to grow some basil, I suppose.  It gets three or four hours of direct sunlight during the summer; the rest is shaded or indirect.  If I planted something, the groundskeepers would probably just tear it out.

I would love to have a peach tree, some strawberries, potatoes, and onions.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline debk

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 12:15:37 PM »
If you have a balcony, you could do container growing.

Your basil, tomatoes, etc....there are several veggies that now have specific container size plantings.

Home Depot, Lowe's and WalMart all carry them.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 08:08:26 AM »

Deb I got this information out of one of my books by Southern Living. You cansurround your garden with an electric fence that has a mild electric shock. But the trick is Coat it with peanut butter. Deer love peanut butter,so when they lick the wire and get a mild shock,they will quickly learn to avoid the wire. Also they are some sprays on the market. And an old wise tail is to get human hair ( yours or a saloon) place it in cheese cloth bags and hang it from the trees. I have a friend who lives in Cripple Creek CO. erected a double fence and it kept the deer away.The deer sees another fence and don't take a chance. That worked for her. Something else I've came across is a solution with 5 eggs with 5 quarts of water treats 1/4 acre. You may need to repeat after a rain.Good Luck.
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 08:18:42 AM »
Weed control is my biggest problem,need to find a safe herbacide to incorperate when I plow the garden.
I haven`t researched yet and think that what the farmers here use for weed control in the cornfields probably isn`t suitable for a garden and/or the "good" plants.

Carl, there is book called  Weedless Gardening by, Lee Reich. Mulch helps tremendously.Hope it helps.
There will always be "Battles" to fight.