Author Topic: The Weird Things People Eat Around the World  (Read 3574 times)

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
The Weird Things People Eat Around the World
« on: January 06, 2009, 08:00:55 PM »
I know this has been done before, but you never know, there might be something *new* here to even the most seasoned

The Weird Things People Eat Around the World

Half the fun of traveling is getting out and enjoying all sorts of foods you're not used to eating. A simple trip to the corner market or grocery store in a foreign land can keep you amused for hours.

However, aside from healthy and unhealthy diets, there is a totally different category of food which is slowly trickling through into mainstream cuisine. This is loosely referred to as "weird foods."

Check out some other weird foods from around the world.

Tuna Eyeball (Eaten in Japan, China)
Bugs (Eaten in Chicago, USA)
Chittlins (Hog's Insides, Eaten in Southern America)

http://damncoolpics.blogspot.com/2009/01/weird-things-people-eat-around-world.html

I'd have a go at some of the things on that list, but others....people really eat that stuff ???

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: The Weird Things People Eat Around the World
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 08:10:55 PM »
I'd have a go at some of the things on that list, but others....people really eat that stuff ???

I dunno, sir.

I'm still reeling from the shock of discovering that some decent and civilized people actually think it's okay to ruin cheese by mixing it with tomatoes and peppers.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 08:20:06 PM »
I saw a show with a native Cantonese chef.  Last night's show was boiled sandworms, grubs, and fried beetles.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 08:40:16 PM »
After having eaten stuff like balut, kimchee, eel, bat (yes, bat), Rocky Mountain Oysters, chocolate-covered ants, and various other indescribable stuff, watching a few episodes of Andrew Zimmern choke down stuff that would make a goat puke has led me to the conclusion I'm a food prude.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 08:47:12 PM »
 Of course, these days they get Big Macs and Whoppers shoved into their faces
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 08:50:33 PM »
Of course, these days they get Big Macs and Whoppers shoved into their faces

Obesity, heart failure, and diabetes.

Ah, progress.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline debk

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 10:51:46 PM »
There's an octopus salad at sushi bars that's really good....isn't it raw?

I don't eat stuff with the eyes still on it.... :o
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 04:43:55 PM »
After having eaten stuff like balut, kimchee, eel, bat (yes, bat), Rocky Mountain Oysters, chocolate-covered ants, and various other indescribable stuff, watching a few episodes of Andrew Zimmern choke down stuff that would make a goat puke has led me to the conclusion I'm a food prude.

Zimmern eats some gawd-aweful stuff. However, the Tony Bourdain (No Reservations) episode where he eats with some Bushmen, was some truly hideious crap. At one point I think he was holding back puke when they gagged down some poor animal they found and ate raw. I think I vurped during that one.  :p
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.