Author Topic: Paging Red October......  (Read 21611 times)

Offline formerlurker

Paging Red October......
« on: June 01, 2008, 07:47:30 PM »
I honestly don't see how the Phils are going to blow it this year little bro.    They are walking away with the NL pennant my friend.......   only to be beat by the Red Sox, but they are going to the dance. 

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: Paging Red October......
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 07:59:20 PM »
I honestly don't see how the Phils are going to blow it this year little bro.    They are walking away with the NL pennant my friend.......   only to be beat by the Red Sox, but they are going to the dance. 

I think the mets and braves will be heard from in the east.  and have you heard of this team that plays in Az? :-)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 08:06:22 PM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:01:14 PM »

Starting Pitching.

But, as long as the Phils score 10-15 runs a game, they should win a few of them.  :-)
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 08:01:40 PM »
Nah,  the Phils are taking it.    They are prone to choking, but I just don't see it this year.  

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 08:03:02 PM »
Who's your little bro? :confused:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 08:08:31 PM »
Nah,  the Phils are taking it.    They are prone to choking, but I just don't see it this year.   

a quick glance at the standings indicates that the phils are up .5 games on the fish, 3.5 on the braves, and 4 on the mets.  with over 100 games to be played.  hell, you're right.  cancel the season, and lets start the playoffs! :whatever: :-)

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 08:09:45 PM »

Starting Pitching.

But, as long as the Phils score 10-15 runs a game, they should win a few of them.  :-)

Nah, we are discussing the NL are we not?  

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 08:12:37 PM »
Nah,  the Phils are taking it.    They are prone to choking, but I just don't see it this year.   

a quick glance at the standings indicates that the phils are up .5 games on the fish, 3.5 on the braves, and 4 on the mets.  with over 100 games to be played.  hell, you're right.  cancel the season, and lets start the playoffs! :whatever: :-)

By all means, we'll talk again in September.      My thread was a shout out to Red, who is a die hard Phils fan, that I think from what I have seen from them thus far that they will get over the choke bump in the road this year.

Just a hunch, but I doubt I will be wrong.   

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 08:13:53 PM »
Who's your little bro? :confused:

Red October. 

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 08:15:39 PM »

By all means, we'll talk again in September.      My thread was a shout out to Red, who is a die hard Phils fan, that I think from what I have seen from them thus far that they will get over the choke bump in the road this year.

Just a hunch, but I doubt I will be wrong.   

it wasn't the road that killed them last season.  it was september that killed them.  jus' sayin'

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 08:16:54 PM »
since the time that I posted in this thread the first time, LA has gone down 4-1.  in the interest of superstition, I going to STFU now. :banghead:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 08:18:14 PM »

sh*t.  it didn't help.

Offline jendf

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 08:41:17 PM »
No way, formerlurker. D'backs own it this year. :tongue:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 09:39:30 PM »
No way, formerlurker. D'backs own it this year. :tongue:

I would be hard pressed to argue with you right now. 

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 09:41:08 PM »
*Checks calendar*

Yep, first day of JUNE.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 04:30:29 AM »

During the Mets' thrashing of the Dodgers last night, they put up a graphic that showed all of the AL division leaders at June 1st last year, and they all made the playoffs.  But, before that, they put up a graphic of all of the NL division leaders on June 1st, 2007 . . . and none of them made the playoffs.  There's still a lot of baseball left to be played.  June 1st, 2008, and the Phillthies lead the East . . . the Cubs lead the Central, and the D'Backs lead the West.  There's still a few teams yet to be heard from, especially the one that beat the Dodgers last night.  Johan's a second-half pitcher . . . if he's 7-3 now, that means he could end this season with 20+ wins.  Pedro's coming back tomorrow night--his presence will help stabilize Ollie Perez, among others (Duaner Sanchez, for one).  Carlos Beltran is getting hot.  Jose Reyes has been hitting over .300 for just over the last month.

Don't be calling the race now . . . you'd be a Democrat.  :tongue:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 05:06:24 AM »
I'll call the AL right now -- the Red Sox.     I would have done that back in April too.   

Diamonbacks? yawn.    Dodgers?   giggle.  Mets? come on, NY teams I live to watch choke.   I hope they go neck and neck with the Phils to the end, only to choke.   So to that end - Go Mets!

That said,  I don't see the Phils choking this year, and I waited to June to make the comment.    Of course there is a lot of baseball to go, but they'll be standing at the end getting their dance card punched.   

Really makes no difference who wins though as the AL team will beat the best of your lot regardless.     :popcorn:   

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 07:51:25 AM »
I'll call the AL right now -- the Red Sox.     I would have done that back in April too.   

Diamonbacks? yawn.    Dodgers?   giggle.  Mets? come on, NY teams I live to watch choke.   I hope they go neck and neck with the Phils to the end, only to choke.   So to that end - Go Mets!

That said,  I don't see the Phils choking this year, and I waited to June to make the comment.    Of course there is a lot of baseball to go, but they'll be standing at the end getting their dance card punched.   

Really makes no difference who wins though as the AL team will beat the best of your lot regardless.     :popcorn:   

The Mets will win the NL East, but it'll be the final week of the season.  I don't see Atlanta going quietly.  As Splashdown said, "starting pitching" will win out.  Kendrick's arm will fall off around August 15th.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 07:31:04 AM »

Sorry I've been scarce lately.  High fives for that, tho! 

I'm ready for Boston v. Philly round 2 this year.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 07:33:38 AM by Red October »

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 07:38:06 AM »
So many Jr. Nostradamases calling for our downfall.  And the wins just keep coming.   :beer:  :popcorn:  I love the proof being in the pudding.

The Phils do have enough starting pitching to win, if it stays healthy.  In spite of what he's shown in the first few weeks, Myers CAN pitch worth a damn, as he's shown in his last two starts which he lost thanks to no run support.  Hamels is money in the bank, Jamie Moyer's arm hasn't fallen off in twenty years, and even Eaton is pitching well, wonders never cease 'n all.  The bullpen has been outstanding and really, that's been all the difference in the world with our team.

But everyone knows major leaguers get paid for what they do post All-Star break.  So tell me, how have the Phils fared post All-Star break the past couple years?  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 07:49:45 AM by Red October »

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 08:06:10 AM »
So many Jr. Nostradamases calling for our downfall.  And the wins just keep coming.   :beer:  :popcorn:  I love the proof being in the pudding.

The Phils do have enough starting pitching to win, if it stays healthy.  In spite of what he's shown in the first few weeks, Myers CAN pitch worth a damn, as he's shown in his last two starts which he lost thanks to no run support.  Hamels is money in the bank, Jamie Moyer's arm hasn't fallen off in twenty years, and even Eaton is pitching well, wonders never cease 'n all.  The bullpen has been outstanding and really, that's been all the difference in the world with our team.

But everyone knows major leaguers get paid for what they do post All-Star break.  So tell me, how have the Phils fared post All-Star break the past couple years?  :popcorn:

The question is, How will they fare after this All-Star Break . . .   We know how things have gone in the past.  Last week, on their Sunday night broadcast, ESPN showed a graphic of the teams in the AL that were in first place on June 1st of last year, and where they ended up.  All of them won their divisions.  But, before that, was a graphic of what NL teams were leading their respective divisions on the same date . . . and none of them were in first when the season ended (and one division was tied, and neither team saw the postseason).

Will it be that way this year?  I don't think anyone here has a crystal ball. 

Chase her.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2008, 09:12:22 AM »
Oh, kids?

ANGELS 38-24
RED SOX 38-26
PHILLIES 37-26

I'd bitchslap ya both, but Seattle already did it to the Sox last night, and looking up at the Cubs EVER should be embarassment enough. 
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 09:50:08 AM »
Oh, kids?

ANGELS 38-24
RED SOX 38-26
PHILLIES 37-26

I'd bitchslap ya both, but Seattle already did it to the Sox last night, and looking up at the Cubs EVER should be embarassment enough. 

Hardly as the Sox have the same record one, and two -- we have injuries presently coupled with the brawl the night before equates to the give away to the Mariners yesterday. 

Angels will do nothing yet once again this year, and look at that - EVERYONE is beating the Yankees so y'all don't even have that to pound your chest over this year.

Oh, and how is Dice-K doing Sparky?   

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 05:54:18 PM »
Oh, kids?

ANGELS 38-24
RED SOX 38-26
PHILLIES 37-26

Hardly as the Sox have the same record one, and two -- we have injuries presently coupled with the brawl the night before equates to the give away to the Mariners yesterday. 

Angels will do nothing yet once again this year, and look at that - EVERYONE is beating the Yankees so y'all don't even have that to pound your chest over this year.

The Skanks had another walk-off win today.  'Course, it was against KC, but KC was up 5-1 and 10-6.

Also, let's remember something--the season is 162 games long, not 60-something.

Chase her.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 06:18:54 PM »
Oh, kids?

ANGELS 38-24
RED SOX 38-26
PHILLIES 37-26

The Skanks had another walk-off win today.  'Course, it was against KC, but KC was up 5-1 and 10-6.

Also, let's remember something--the season is 162 games long, not 60-something.

Oh my bad, it is that long?  

Red Sox 1st place.   Angels eliminated in first round of the playoffs, sweep.   Yankees suck. 

Carry on.