Author Topic: Losses at Oprah's TV channel approach $330M  (Read 3478 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Losses at Oprah's TV channel approach $330M
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 08:24:49 AM »
Personally I can't stand the woman and her fawning troup of jugheads who hang on her every word on TV, in her magazine, and wherever it is she surfaces (supermarket checkout stands), but there is something to say for her business instinct.

There may well be a correlation between her stupid, "He's the ONE" when referring to the Magic Negro and her ratings having plummeted. Then again, there may not be.

She is (or was until late - dunno, really), the richest female "entertainer" in the US. You don't get there by being stupid on a consistent basis. So she has advisers who know what they're doing in keeping that goose (Oprah) laying golden eggs.

Oprah pretty much singlehandedly got Dr. Phil McGraw and that fast-talking dood Dr. Oz on the map. So she's instigated spinoffs that have done well. IIRC from Mrs E's raptured expression while she ogles Drs. Phil and Oz while I go trooping through the living room doing something constructive, their programs are on OWN. Aren't they?

Anyway, my point is, Oprah has intimated that she will retire, or did retire briefly before coming back to her fawning troup of glassy-eyed, slack-jawed, mouth-breathing women or women wannabes.

This simply could be the end of an era. Barry may not have anything to do with it.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 08:39:14 AM »
Her success comes from the fact that she took over the airwaves when Phil Donahue got out. She inherited and added to that audience.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 08:45:28 AM »
Her success comes from the fact that she took over the airwaves when Phil Donahue got out. She inherited and added to that audience.

True dat. Montel Williams, Arsenio Hall, and Jenny Jones all flamed out for various reasons. Williams because he became a dope-smoking fool (painkiller due to MS), Arsenio because he was incoherent and nervous all the time, and Jones because she introduced a faggot to the guy who would, in a couple of days, kill him.

Let's talk Jerry Springer for a minute. Or maybe not!  :rotf:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 08:52:59 AM »
My wife dragged me to a Donahue show once. Little did I suspect that we'd be the only white people in the audience. Why? Because Stevie Wonder was his guest, and the audience was packed after Donahue's troops spread the word.

Pain and misery on me............
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town