Author Topic: Can't buck the Bucks out of first  (Read 1309 times)

Offline ReardenSteel

Can't buck the Bucks out of first
« on: May 11, 2008, 11:43:26 AM »
Stop us if you've heard this before: Buckeyes top Dawgs
May 5, 2008
By Dennis Dodd
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10813944
Against the tide of an emerging preseason consensus ... against the wishes Fox, which frowns on televising re-runs in January ... against my better judgment...

Ohio State is No. 1.

For now, in the CBSSports.com post-spring top 25, but maybe right up until kickoff. Yeah, I know, you've already seen this movie. The outcome is more predictable than an M. Night Shyamalan film, and twice as scary. The Buckeyes are good enough for the Big Ten, but hopelessly outclassed in the big game. Oh, the humanity.

I know, it's getting bo-ring. How long, you ask, can this cow be milked?

Answer: Grab an udder, Zeke.

Ohio State looks like the best thing on 44 legs right now. That is a reference to the starting 22, of which 18 are returning starters. We're talking some of the nation's best, most-decorated players -- tailback Beanie Wells, linebacker James Laurinaitis, defensive back Malcolm Jenkins. Heck, quarterback Todd Boeckman already is rated one of the best quarterbacks available in the 2009 draft.

1. Ohio State
Pre-spring : 4

2. Georgia
Pre-spring: 1

3. Oklahoma
Pre-spring: 2

4. USC
Pre-spring: 3

5. Missouri
Pre-spring: 5

Buckeyes report: Inside slant
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/teams/report/OHST

Well well well. Would ya lookie here.  :-) (looks like tOSU could be on the way to another NC game loss  :( )

"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Re: Can't buck the Bucks out of first
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 08:45:05 AM »
Every one who I thought wasn't going to leave OU early did (Reggie Smith and Curtis Lofton). The offense will be stellar, I believe, but, the defensive talent and experience is questionable.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
Re: Can't buck the Bucks out of first
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 11:35:49 AM »
Pre-season polls don't mean anything. Look at any Sports Illustrated pre-playoffs issue and you'll see why: They are always 50% wrong. The regular season tilt between USC-Ohio State will be interesting though, wiping one out of the National Title race early.
And there are always one or more teams that over achieve and mess up everyones polls. Missouri, Rutgers and Boise State stand out as examples.
Just like the baseball season, you have to wait for the All Star break to see who the real contenders are.
Give it time.  :-)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.