Author Topic: Ohio State Football gets hammered  (Read 14866 times)

Offline rustybayonet

Ohio State Football gets hammered
« on: July 08, 2011, 07:51:47 PM »
Ohio State vacates 2010 football wins, Sugar Bowl

Friday, July 8, 2011 7:55 PM EDT

They had frequented a tattoo parlor and had sold autographs, signed equipment, championship rings and even a bowl sportsmanship award — all contrary to NCAA bylaws which prevent athletes from profiting off their name or fame.

Then in January, the university learned that Tressel had known about the violations since April 2010. After backing him for weeks, the university pressured him to resign on Memorial Day.

Smith said a continual drumbeat of revelations and allegations all but forced Ohio State to "separate" from Tressel. He said he was stunned when he learned of Tressel's deception.

"In the moment, yes, I felt betrayed. Why not bring that to me?" Smith said. "But I've gone on."

Officials said Friday they believed they'd uncovered all possible violations by football players.

"You never know, but we've done a lot of due diligence," said John Bruno, faculty athletics representative. "We looked weeks to months to find something else and nothing has come up."

Pryor was among the original group of players who was suspended for the first five games of this year. But he left OSU to try his luck in the NFL soon after Tressel quit. The NCAA added a five-game suspension for yet another player earlier this week.

The current Buckeyes almost seem to be expecting more severe penalties.

"We're only promised 12 games," safety Orhian Johnson said this week.

Interim coach Luke Fickell said his players, in the midst of summer conditioning, have accepted many of the changes he has implemented in the program but no one knows how they'll respond when the sanctions are finalized.

"I think they're buying in but you don't know," he said. "Until other adversity and other situations happen, you'll see what happens."

for complete story ....   www.twitter.com/rustymillerap
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 07:53:52 PM by rustybayonet »
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is a gift- that's why it's called the "present"

Offline unbiased

Re: Ohio State Football gets hammered
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 02:09:49 PM »
This sort of thing makes me mad. The NCAA is one of the most corrupt organizations in the world. These kids bring in Billions of dollars with there play. Yes, they get a free education but that is a pittance compared to how much they make for the university. They are like the shoe that was made for 25 cents in a third world sweat shop and sold for $200. These kids have to practice twice a day, then study a playbook when they get home. Then do their regular college studies. All of that is required. Then, when they want to take their girlfriend out to a movie and dinner, they can't because they have no money. So, they sell something that they own. Doesn't matter who gave it to them, it is theirs! And the NCAA gets pissed.

If someone offers someone a discount on their own business for whatever reason, it should be legal. Cops get free donuts, people at Home Depot get 10% off...ect. What is the difference? If I own a shop and give you a free tattoo because you sign something, that is my choice. NCAA is like Nazi Germany.
Once you have wrestled, everything else in life is easy.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 07:46:24 PM »
This sort of thing makes me mad. The NCAA is one of the most corrupt organizations in the world. These kids bring in Billions of dollars with there play. Yes, they get a free education but that is a pittance compared to how much they make for the university. They are like the shoe that was made for 25 cents in a third world sweat shop and sold for $200. These kids have to practice twice a day, then study a playbook when they get home. Then do their regular college studies. All of that is required. Then, when they want to take their girlfriend out to a movie and dinner, they can't because they have no money. So, they sell something that they own. Doesn't matter who gave it to them, it is theirs! And the NCAA gets pissed.

If someone offers someone a discount on their own business for whatever reason, it should be legal. Cops get free donuts, people at Home Depot get 10% off...ect. What is the difference? If I own a shop and give you a free tattoo because you sign something, that is my choice. NCAA is like Nazi Germany.
Hmmm! Ohio State fan maybe? :-) Rules are rules.....Every kid and coach know the rules when they decide to join the team.You don't like it? Don't join!...Btw? Our justice system fails at times too....Should we just let people who commit crimes go free just because the justice system is flawed? Sounds like sour grapes to me! :whistling:
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 09:35:41 PM »
Should we just let people who commit crimes go free just because the justice system is flawed?

Hmmmm.... :fuelfire:

Anyway, as I see it, go ahead and sell your jersey if you want to. Sell your pants. Hell, sell the jock strap, and gloves for all I care. DON'T sell any rings you got for winning a game, or any trophies you aquired. For crying out loud, that's just disrespectful, and it urinates all over the school you went to, (especially a Div I school that is always in the National spotlight) and their fans. Jsut IMO though.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:39:04 PM by Revolution »

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 10:40:54 PM »
Isn't Auburn in trouble with Cam Newton?  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cam_Newton
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5765214

I know it is not on the level of OSU. Jim Tressel was caught. Arrogance leads to perdition.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 11:18:37 AM »
Wow, this makes Ohio State 0 and what vs SEC teams?

:lmao:
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline dandi

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 11:20:25 AM »
These kids have to practice twice a day, then study a playbook when they get home. Then do their regular college studies. All of that is required. Then, when they want to take their girlfriend out to a movie and dinner, they can't because they have no money. So, they sell something that they own. Doesn't matter who gave it to them, it is theirs!

So I should have demanded a cut of the gate and concessions when I was playing high school football? 

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 11:30:01 AM »
Bit of a difference between HS and college.  The money spent on HS stadiums, etc., aren't nearly recouped as they are at the collegiate level.

That being said, the fish rots from the head down.  Death penalty for Ohio State.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 12:46:55 PM »
Hell, sell the jock strap

I'm sure that there are lots of DUmmy 'men' who would get DUmmy womyn to bid high on things like that . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 02:31:56 PM »
Bit of a difference between HS and college.  The money spent on HS stadiums, etc., aren't nearly recouped as they are at the collegiate level.

That being said, the fish rots from the head down.  Death penalty for Ohio State.

High school football ticket was much cheaper than college football. As for Ohio State, they had their glory in the Sun. Someone else should take their place.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 02:38:56 PM »
High school football ticket was much cheaper than college football. As for Ohio State, they had their glory in the Sun. Someone else should take their place.

Michigan?  :rotf:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline dandi

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 03:07:23 PM »

Oh, I know that, I was just seeing how this bounced against the standard being put forth.  If we're using these poor college kids as an example, then dammit, I want what I'm due.

:-)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 03:14:27 PM »
As for Ohio State, they had their glory in the Sun. Someone else should take their place.

But sir, for some of us, Ohio State is college football.

Always has been, is, always will be.

This is very sad; one wishes one could go back to the days of Woody Hayes, with Bear Bryant one of the two very best college football coaches in history.  I always thought Woody Hayes got a raw deal, and perhaps he died prematurely because of his disappointment and discouragement.

However, I'm defiantly confident Ohio State will come back.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline dandi

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 03:24:14 PM »

:fuelfire:

:-)

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 03:27:51 PM »
Oh now, that's like kicking a guy when he's already down.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline dandi

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 03:41:28 PM »
Oh now, that's like kicking a guy when he's already down.

Yes, it is....    :evillaugh:

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 03:44:15 PM »
Yes, it is....    :evillaugh:

But back at you, sir; remember, ".....every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill laid low....."

It might sound odd, injecting religion into the sports forum, but hey, out here in Nebraska, college football is practically a religion.  Not quite as much as real religion, but pretty close.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 04:07:25 PM »
Michigan? 

The Buckeyes are temporarily taking some jabs from far less fortunate people.
Note that the last time Michigan won a game against Ohio State was 2,788 days ago.
If anyone is going to join Ohio State at the pinnacle of the Big Ten, it'll be Nebraska, with their Buckeye head coach.

Offline unbiased

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 04:19:15 PM »
Yes, I am an OSU fan. But I don't know how selling rings for tattoos affects anything that happens on the field. It is a dumb rule no matter what team gets caught doing it, IMO. What they really need is a minor league football sytem, like baseball, so these kids don't have to enroll in college just to get noticed by the pros.

Offline unbiased

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 04:45:58 PM »
And did anyone notice the hypocracy of what OSU decided to do about the problem? They will "symbolically" give up all their wins including the Sugar Bowl. How does that hurt the University in any way? A coach resigned (although I'm glad he's gone) and players get suspended, but the university gets to keep all the money they made during that season. And who would they pay it back to even if they later get fined? It won't be the fans. The NCAA would get the money if they decide to impose a fine. The NCAA is a scam starting with Title IX and all the way down to these silly rules. Ever see a team that just went 2-10 get investigated? Ever hear of a swim team get investigated for recruiting violations? What about any woman's sport? Just follow the money and you usually get your answer.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 07:37:59 PM »
But sir, for some of us, Ohio State is college football.

Always has been, is, always will be.

This is very sad; one wishes one could go back to the days of Woody Hayes, with Bear Bryant one of the two very best college football coaches in history.  I always thought Woody Hayes got a raw deal, and perhaps he died prematurely because of his disappointment and discouragement.

However, I'm defiantly confident Ohio State will come back.

Well, they had their chance of glory. Let someone else get their chance of glory.  :-)
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 07:44:17 PM »
Well, they had their chance of glory. Let someone else get their chance of glory.  :-)

Some things are forever.

Eighty-some years of glory ain't forever.

Ohio State was destined to rule, but not divinely guaranteed against an occasional speed-bump.

One might be curious as to why I'm a fan of Ohio State.  Number one, Woody Hayes was second only to Bear Bryant when it comes to college football coaches; I loved Woody Hayes with a passion.  Number two, Nebraska's 45 years on top of the heap were because everything that made Nebraska football good, came from Ohio State football.  One needs to be grateful to one's antecedents.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 11:08:09 PM »
I'm sure that there are lots of DUmmy 'men' who would get DUmmy womyn to bid high on things like that . . .

Undoubtedly, but the only thing a DUmor has in common with a buckeye is little hairless nuts.

Can't believe I just said that either. Half my family's from Ohio, and I'm an OSU fan. I hope none of them read this...

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 08:56:02 AM »
Some things are forever.

Eighty-some years of glory ain't forever.

Ohio State was destined to rule, but not divinely guaranteed against an occasional speed-bump.

One might be curious as to why I'm a fan of Ohio State.  Number one, Woody Hayes was second only to Bear Bryant when it comes to college football coaches; I loved Woody Hayes with a passion.  Number two, Nebraska's 45 years on top of the heap were because everything that made Nebraska football good, came from Ohio State football.  One needs to be grateful to one's antecedents.

Frank, I admire your passion for OSU football, but the name "Woody Hayes" conjures up an image I have in my mind where he (Hayes), in 1978, struck the nose guard from Clemson with either a fist or an arm following an interception that led to the Buckeyes' loss. That one got Hayes fired.

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 09:07:53 AM »
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site