Author Topic: College Football: Week 12  (Read 8548 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: College Football: Week 12
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2009, 05:49:56 PM »
Penn State 42, Michigan State 14, final.

That wraps up the Big 10 for today, folks.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2009, 05:50:12 PM »
Florida 62
FIU 3
 :o
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2009, 05:51:38 PM »
Arizona State 13, UCLA 23, fourth quarter.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2009, 05:52:11 PM »
Florida 62
FIU 3
 :o

Oh yeah.

That one.

I forgot.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2009, 06:18:49 PM »
I have to head out now, with the Arizona State-UCLA game, and the Oregon State-Washington State game still undecided.

The only remaining important games of the day are Kansas at Texas and Kansas State at Nebraska, so no need to worry.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2009, 06:20:32 PM »
Ole Miss finally beats LSU in Oxford after 11 years.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2009, 06:33:46 PM »
I have to head out now, with the Arizona State-UCLA game, and the Oregon State-Washington State game still undecided.

The only remaining important games of the day are Kansas at Texas and Kansas State at Nebraska, so no need to worry.

Pac-10 has a night game with Rose Bowl implications. (step toward finding out who the Buckeye's will face)

Of course here in my neck of the woods we don't get to see that game, sigh. (who in Ohio want's to see Texas kick the crap out of Kansas?)

Cincy has a bye week... sigh again.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2009, 06:36:33 PM »
Should have mentioned... that Pac10 game is Arizona vs. Oregon.

Anyone know where the Duck's are ranked? Top 10?
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2009, 06:39:39 PM »
Should have mentioned... that Pac10 game is Arizona vs. Oregon.

Anyone know where the Duck's are ranked? Top 10?

11th.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2009, 06:47:01 PM »
11th.

Thanks. I just went to check the ol' BCS page and see that Oregon State is at #19 with an outside shot at winning the Pac 10. That would be good news for Cincinnati who beat the Beavers on the road this year. (quality win-wise) I guess I have to pull for Zona tonight and the Beavers to upset the Ducks later on. Hmmm.

Sucks not having the game aired here. Stupid local networks. Really stupid local networks... that goes for NFL game selection too. Farkers.  :banghead:

- Ayn Rand

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2009, 06:49:55 PM »
Desert Swarm, baby! F*ck the Ducks!

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2009, 08:14:41 PM »
Halfway through 3rd quarter....TN 24 - Vanderbilt 13

:-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2009, 10:11:20 PM »
Thanks. I just went to check the ol' BCS page and see that Oregon State is at #19 with an outside shot at winning the Pac 10. That would be good news for Cincinnati who beat the Beavers on the road this year. (quality win-wise) I guess I have to pull for Zona tonight and the Beavers to upset the Ducks later on. Hmmm.

Sucks not having the game aired here. Stupid local networks. Really stupid local networks... that goes for NFL game selection too. Farkers.  :banghead:

I'd like to see the Dawgs win the Pac 10... Actually, I'd like to see the Dawgs win...  :thatsright:

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2009, 10:23:01 PM »
AZ up on UO by 7 with 3 left.

Yep, Texas...blowout city over KU.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2009, 10:37:42 PM »
Son of a...going to OT.

ETA: TD Oregon...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 10:43:12 PM by Odin's Hand »

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2009, 10:51:39 PM »
Second OT.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2009, 11:00:42 PM »
Well, it's up to Oregon State to keep the Duck F*cks out of the Rose Bowl, now.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2009, 07:35:44 AM »
Yeah, other than with UCLA winning, God was not good to the Pacific 10 yesterday.

I was immensely gratified that Ohio State won in the Big 10, but somewhat discombobulated that Penn State won its game too.

I guess Nebraska is the Big 12 top champion, no matter the outcome of the game against Colorado later this week, and that Texas is the Big 12 bottom champion.

It surprises the Hell out of me, Nebraska being 8-3 at the moment.

If memory serves me correctly, the Big 12 championship game is down in Texas, meaning Texas has the home-field and home-crowd advantage.  NCAA football really needs to do something about finding truly neutral sites for such games.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2009, 08:35:37 AM »
It surprises the Hell out of me, Nebraska being 8-3 at the moment.

What surprises you?  I thought that you were pretty high on Bo Pelini coming in there and restoring Nebraska football.  Maybe that he brought them back to respectability so fast?
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2009, 09:04:33 AM »
Maybe that he brought them back to respectability so fast?

I'm not so sure we're back into respectability "so fast;" it's a long road to go yet.

Remember the records Nebraska had, that the former athletic director threw away:

(a) consecutive winning seasons (about 42 of them, in a row)
(b) consecutive bowl appearances (about 37 of them, in a row)
(c) consecutive wins over Oklahoma State (more than 40, in a row)
(d) consecutive wins over Kansas (more than 40, in a row)
(e) consecutive wins over Missouri (about 25 of them, in a row)

There's others, too, but it's Sunday morning.

The sole record Nebraska still possesses is (f) consecutive stadium sell-outs in Lincoln (dating back to 1962), which is nickel-and-dime stuff compared with the above.

We've got a long ways to go, to get back into respectability.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2009, 12:15:30 PM »
I'm not so sure we're back into respectability "so fast;" it's a long road to go yet.

Remember the records Nebraska had, that the former athletic director threw away:

(a) consecutive winning seasons (about 42 of them, in a row)
(b) consecutive bowl appearances (about 37 of them, in a row)
(c) consecutive wins over Oklahoma State (more than 40, in a row)
(d) consecutive wins over Kansas (more than 40, in a row)
(e) consecutive wins over Missouri (about 25 of them, in a row)

There's others, too, but it's Sunday morning.

The sole record Nebraska still possesses is (f) consecutive stadium sell-outs in Lincoln (dating back to 1962), which is nickel-and-dime stuff compared with the above.

We've got a long ways to go, to get back into respectability.

Nebraska went the same route as Michigan. They wanted that "exciting" football that ESPN likes, which works once in a coach's career when he has the perfect personnel for it, and no bad weather games. Hopefully, they will recover from that idiocy much more quickly than Michigan (who, we pray, will never recover). Nebraska is on the right track, with former Buckeye DB Mark Pelini on the job.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2009, 12:23:55 PM »
Ole Miss finally beats LSU in Oxford after 11 years.

Exciting game. Especially with all of the officials trying to screw over Ole Miss. A few calls that were clearly BS:

Shay Hodge was PUSHED out of bounds and came back into play to catch a TD, only to be ruled OOB. You can come back into play if you're pushed out.

Another one, we had a guy dive into the end zone with an LSU defender about 1' away, that was called back on a dead ball foul and placed at the 30. Why? They claimed "showboating", I.e. Unsportsmanlike Conduct.

Another, Shay Hodge with a knee DOWN and had the ball stripped and it was called a fumble.

That game should have been about 35-23, but not likely if they called correctly as LSU's team would have been demoralized.

SEC Officials=Worst in the NCAA.

.....but.......about that game:

Could this be revenge for the 1972 matchup?

1972 - Jones to Davis;. "The Night The Clock Stopped" -- #6 LSU survived an upset bid from unranked Ole Miss in Tiger Stadium by winning the game on a TD pass from QB Bert Jones to RB Brad Davis. Ole Miss fans say the 1972 contest featured a few seconds of free football. The Tigers trailed the Rebels 16-10 with four seconds to play. After a lengthy incompletion by Jones, the game clock still showed one second remaining. The Tigers used the precious second to win the game on the "last play," 17-16. The home-clock advantage inspired a sign at the Louisiana state line reading, "You are now entering Louisiana. Set your clocks back four seconds."

2009 - With one second left on the game clock, the score Ole Miss 25-23 and LSU on the Ole Miss 6-yard line, all LSU needed to do was kick a field goal for the win. Instead, they snapped the ball and then spiked it while the last second ticked off the clock. This preserved the win for Ole Miss in Oxford, Ole Miss' first win at home against LSU since 1998.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnolia_Bowl

The Lord doth work in mysterious ways.  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:25:28 PM by Rebel »
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2009, 12:34:56 PM »
The Lord doth work in mysterious ways.  :evillaugh:

Yes, the Lord doth.

I'll never forget the Nebraska-Penn State game of, I think, 1983, when a Penn State player stepped out of bounds while running with the football, but then the officials mysteriously expanded the width of the football field a few inches, at that end.

Nebraska lost that game, but beat the Hell out of Penn State the next year.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2009, 11:42:02 PM »
SEC Officials=Worst in the NCAA
Well, they may have been bad in this game, but I don't believe all the earlier hoohah this season over missed SEC calls was not a sign of incompetence. They were deliberately protecting Florida and Alabama from upsets, to guarantee the winner of the SEC championship game would go to the national championship game. I don't think those calls were missed, they were deliberate, because they were worth millions of dollars to the conference.