Author Topic: Odd behavior  (Read 7682 times)

Offline bkg

Odd behavior
« on: October 06, 2009, 09:52:02 PM »
IE 8 and long posts, especially quotes - scrolling through the text box is failing, so typing is off the screen, so to speak. Just me?

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Odd behavior
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 09:54:14 PM »
IE 8 and long posts, especially quotes - scrolling through the text box is failing, so typing is off the screen, so to speak. Just me?

Blame this guy.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 09:57:38 PM »
I have IE 8 also.....and was having trouble here earlier with taking forever to load, but I was also having trouble on my email site, FB, and pogo....

I thought it was here(my computer)....but if you had trouble too, maybe it was IE?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 10:00:43 PM by debk »
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 09:59:55 PM »
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 11:02:56 PM »
Yeah, first question before we address this issue is why the **** are you using IE8 instead of Firefox?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 11:15:03 PM »
Yeah, first question before we address this issue is why the **** are you using IE8 instead of Firefox?

because my mls is most happy with IE....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 10:55:16 AM »
I rolled back to 7, problem solved.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 11:08:28 AM »

Bingo!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 01:14:14 PM »
Typical Microsoft. IE8 is a piece of shit. IE7 was ok, at best. Either way, almost every version of IE has severe security holes/ flaws. Firefox is one of the better browsers, not to mention all of the add ons available for it. Google Chrome has some potential, but it isn't compatible with a lot of sites.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline bkg

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 01:15:39 PM »

Because I like my paycheck.  :-)

Offline bkg

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 01:16:19 PM »
Typical Microsoft. IE8 is a piece of shit. IE7 was ok, at best. Either way, almost every version of IE has severe security holes/ flaws. Firefox is one of the better browsers, not to mention all of the add ons available for it. Google Chrome has some potential, but it isn't compatible with a lot of sites.

Doublecheck that with facts, please. ;)

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 01:40:28 PM »

I use Chrome as my main browser, and it works with every site that I can think of.  It did have a problem with some message boards, but they fixed that.  I still use Firefox for somethings and IE8 once in awhile.

Offline bkg

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 02:02:13 PM »
I use Chrome as my main browser, and it works with every site that I can think of.  It did have a problem with some message boards, but they fixed that.  I still use Firefox for somethings and IE8 once in awhile.

Might want to read the Chrome EULA... Unless they changed it, I'd stay far away from that product.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 02:19:25 PM »
Might want to read the Chrome EULA... Unless they changed it, I'd stay far away from that product.

They made some changes to the EULA in the first couple of weeks because of privacy complaints. I use it mainly for message boards and news reading simply because it loads quicker for me than FireFox. I've done side, by side comparisons for load times between all three, and Chrome tends to beat IE and FF.

Offline bkg

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 02:20:51 PM »
They made some changes to the EULA in the first couple of weeks because of privacy complaints. I use it mainly for message boards and news reading simply because it loads quicker for me than FireFox. I've done side, by side comparisons for load times between all three, and Chrome tends to beat IE and FF.

Good to know about the EULA change. The original "We own everything you type" section was BS.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 02:27:51 PM »
Good to know about the EULA change. The original "We own everything you type" section was BS.

They caught hell about that from every computing site that I know of.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 10:31:31 PM »
bkg, which facts do you want ?? IE is renown for having massive security issues. IE= Virus spreader. Why does IE spread viruses so easily?? Because of the security holes in the browser.  IE8 hasn't worked for shit since it was released. Typical Microsoft.

thundley, try running a free online virus scan from say, Trendmicro.com. Last time I did that, it wouldn't work with Chrome. I forget which site it was, but it out and out told me that I had to change my browser. Chrome works ok for the forums I've been to. All in all, I was less than impressed except for how speedy it was on the sites it DID work with.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline bkg

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 08:35:36 AM »
bkg, which facts do you want ?? IE is renown for having massive security issues. IE= Virus spreader. Why does IE spread viruses so easily?? Because of the security holes in the browser.  IE8 hasn't worked for shit since it was released. Typical Microsoft.

thundley, try running a free online virus scan from say, Trendmicro.com. Last time I did that, it wouldn't work with Chrome. I forget which site it was, but it out and out told me that I had to change my browser. Chrome works ok for the forums I've been to. All in all, I was less than impressed except for how speedy it was on the sites it DID work with.

do some comparisons. IE8 is the most standards based browser available. And should be the most secure.

But that's just what I know. I'm also very biased.  :-)

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 10:03:42 AM »
bkg, I'm a diehard Firefox fan. I like the add ons that are available for Firefox. As far as security issues for IE8, start here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/16/AR2008121602378.html

http://www.crn.com/security/216300436;jsessionid=ZWGCV3TF3SQDHQE1GHPSKH4ATMY32JVN

All in all, I'm not REAL fond of windows because of all of the security issues within Windows. IE is just another M$ program that is still full of security holes. I haven't researched Windows 7 as far as security issues,yet, but if it is standard M$ protocol, it will be full of them, too. What sticks in my mind is that I visited a lyrics site a long while ago (IE6, I think) and caught a virus that caused me to have to reformat and reinstall my OS. NOTHING could get rid of it and, YES, I was running a decent anti-virus at the time. If Linux were more compatible with things, I'd be real inclined to run Linux vs ANY M$ program.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 10:07:12 AM »
bkg, I'm a diehard Firefox fan. I like the add ons that are available for Firefox. As far as security issues for IE8, start here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/16/AR2008121602378.html

http://www.crn.com/security/216300436;jsessionid=ZWGCV3TF3SQDHQE1GHPSKH4ATMY32JVN

All in all, I'm not REAL fond of windows because of all of the security issues within Windows. IE is just another M$ program that is still full of security holes. I haven't researched Windows 7 as far as security issues,yet, but if it is standard M$ protocol, it will be full of them, too. What sticks in my mind is that I visited a lyrics site a long while ago (IE6, I think) and caught a virus that caused me to have to reformat and reinstall my OS. NOTHING could get rid of it and, YES, I was running a decent anti-virus at the time. If Linux were more compatible with things, I'd be real inclined to run Linux vs ANY M$ program.

Holy moly. If I didn't know better I would think you were my boyfriend.  He is running a Linux machine, cannot tolerate MS, in any form.   I got a chuckle, because the above quote is something I hear regularly. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline bkg

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 10:17:31 AM »

I'll take a read of those later today - on vacation so I'm buried in work.  :thatsright:

I think you'll find that both IE8 and Win7 are very secure and very well designed. Don't fall into the hype, though that other platforms are immune to viruses and or security holes. That's an urban legend. Been doing security long enough to see people get bit hard by that assumption. Also bear in mind that MSFT does a great job of addressing breaches/issues with a very robust patching model and strong security response team (many hired from competitors). When you're the 2nd most attacked website in the world (behind .gov), you have the opportunity to address any issues more frequently and faster than those who correct things only once in a great while. The SDLC has done a great job of increasing the "out of the box" security w/in all of MSFT applications.

Sound like marketing? Perhaps... considering where I work.  :-)

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 10:22:24 AM »
Holy moly. If I didn't know better I would think you were my boyfriend.  He is running a Linux machine, cannot tolerate MS, in any form.   I got a chuckle, because the above quote is something I hear regularly.  

Since most programs are designed around Windows or Mac OS', I stick with Windows. I tried Linux a while back and it was OK, but I never could get my printer/scanner to install properly in Linux. There were some other issues that elude me at the moment, too.  I liked how fast Linux was as compared to Windows and I could do email, surf the web, word processing, etc. but it just wasn't as inclusive as I prefer.

Hell, Windows 7 requires a MINIMUM of 1 GB RAM (preferably 2 GB) and a 1 GHz processor. Windows memory and processor requirements keep increasing every time they bring out a new version. Linux can still run on a severely outdated computer.

bkg, I realize that M$ is one of the BIG targets. Hell, they've been targets of unscrupulous people and M$ haters for YEARS!!! I guess where MY concern might lie is why doesn't M$ do some decent testing before releasing an OS that is full of holes?? It's been that way since Windows 3.11. They ALWAYS wind up issuing security fixes long after the fact. I can't tell you how many security issues that XP has had and it's been one of the BEST OS' that M$ has ever released until recently.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 08:28:07 PM »

I had the same thing happen to me while searching for the lyrics to a country song.  I'm not sure what I caught, but it gave me tons of pop-ups and the only way to clear it up was reformat and reinstall. I tried online scans, AdAware, Spybot and several other anti=virus/spyware programs.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 11:53:57 PM »
I think that Facebook is a virus laying in wait for me to log on.  :(

I rarely do any of the quizzes or games, and never do any of the "pass around stuff"....I'm convinced one of those is what trashed my computer a couple of months ago....and wonderful Thor ( :blowkiss:) was able to help me...I had several thousand "infects" or whatever they were called... :censored: