Author Topic: It happened again!  (Read 1335 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
It happened again!
« on: September 24, 2009, 03:26:36 PM »
Remember the thread I posted about a high school basketball team that had a player who had one of his parents die before a game?  And when said player showed up, and his number wasn't in the scorer's book, and technical fouls were assessed, the player who was supposed to shoot them did everything he could to miss--and was successful in that?  It happened again.  This time, in high school football.

September 24, 2009

Ark. player ends game with noble gesture

Thamail Morgan took the kickoff and headed up the field.

He was at the 20 ... 30 ... 40

He had been avoiding, dodging or just simply running through tacklers on the way.  Football always had come easily for Morgan.  This game was no different.  By the time he hit midfield, only open space was ahead of him.  The two-time Arkansas all-state selection was headed for a touchdown.

40 ... 30 ... 20

He glanced at the clock and saw the final seconds ticking away.  He realized his team, Cave City, was on the way to a victory over Yellville-Summit, comfortably ahead, 34-16.  He also realized two other things: This wasn't an ordinary game.  And he wasn't the same Thamail Morgan.

When he reached the 2, he stopped.  He took a few steps back and took a knee at the 5-yard line.

This kid is class.  I hope one of the bigger D-I programs signs him.  Nebraska, maybe, because a classy player needs to be with a classy coach.

The rest is at:

http://arkansasvarsity.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=992976

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Re: It happened again!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 04:51:57 PM »
I hope for good things for this kid....and the rest of the team.

This is what sportsmanship is all about.

Politicians could learn a lot from these kids....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline unbiased

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 06:05:52 PM »
While I get that this is a good kid and he was doing what he thought was sportsmanlike for not running up the score, I have a different opinion about this.  Growing up playing football, baseball and wrestling, I would find it more humiliating that this dude took a knee.  No self respecting athlete wants a handout.  Even the losing team knows he could have scored and just because the score doesn't read that in the paper, I'll bet you that the paper made a big deal out of his "sportsmanship".  That would therefore put more of an emphasis on what the score could have been than what it was, had it not been for someone feeling sorry for the losers.  If he really wanted to be a sport he could have let himself get tackled and quietly not run up the score.  Again, I do get what he was trying to do and he sounds like a great kid.
Once you have wrestled, everything else in life is easy.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 06:07:58 PM »
While I get that this is a good kid and he was doing what he thought was sportsmanlike for not running up the score, I have a different opinion about this.  Growing up playing football, baseball and wrestling, I would find it more humiliating that this dude took a knee.  No self respecting athlete wants a handout.  Even the losing team knows he could have scored and just because the score doesn't read that in the paper, I'll bet you that the paper made a big deal out of his "sportsmanship".  That would therefore put more of an emphasis on what the score could have been than what it was, had it not been for someone feeling sorry for the losers.  If he really wanted to be a sport he could have let himself get tackled and quietly not run up the score.  Again, I do get what he was trying to do and he sounds like a great kid.

It's not feeling sorry for the losers, it's more about showing compassion for an opposing team that isn't up to playing their best.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »

I understand what you're saying, but how many times has a team driven the ball to run out the clock, got down to the 2 yard line, and took a knee the last few plays until time ran out?   Would we say the other team would find that to be humiliating?  I don't believe most people see it that way.  I don't see this as being any different.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 11:54:58 AM »
Ark. player ends game with noble gesture

Thamail Morgan took the kickoff and headed up the field.
He was at the 20 ... 30 ... 40

He had been avoiding, dodging or just simply running through tacklers on the way. Football always had come easily for Morgan. This game was no different. By the time he hit midfield, only open space was ahead of him. The two-time Arkansas all-state selection was headed for a touchdown.

40 ... 30 ... 20

He glanced at the clock and saw the final seconds ticking away. He realized his team, Cave City, was on the way to a victory over Yellville-Summit, comfortably ahead, 34-16. He also realized two other things: This wasn't an ordinary game. And he wasn't the same Thamail Morgan.

When he reached the 2, he stopped. He took a few steps back and took a knee at the 5-yard line.

MORE

A good read.....
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.